2nd Trimester

cell phone usage affecting baby

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any studies on the effects of heavy cell phone usage during pregnancy? Due to work, I am constantly on my phone and am uncertain regarding potential harm posed to baby.

Re: cell phone usage affecting baby

• edited July 2015
    Talk to your OB. I don't have any studies, but I read somewhere that the effects to the baby are practically nonexistent.
  • As long as you aren't holding your cellphone against your bump all day baby should be fine.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Agreed, I don't believe heavily using your cellular device is going to hurt the baby in the slightest. 
  • try to use it unplugged. Don't use it when it's drawing a charge. 

I have a friend in healthcare who was quite specific about this. 
  • Although every electronic gives off radiation, unless your holding it to your belly for long periods of time you'll be fine !
  • The skin penetration is millimeters. You'll get more radiation from eating a banana or sleeping next to someone. No idea what "drawing a charge" has anything to do with it either. You're fine!
  • ^^ Nor do I, tbh. I'm repeating what a professional friend said. Just passing it along. 
  • I heard that before @groovylocks . Apparently it causes the phone to work harder and gives off slightly more radiation from what I've heard. Not sure how true that is though.
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited July 2015

^^ Nor do I, tbh. I'm repeating what a professional friend said. Just passing it along. 

I'll repeat what a professional friend (my DH) with an advanced degree in electrical engineering said - actually he looked at me crazy when I mentioned this and said there is no scientific basis for it and it's scaring people for no reason. :)

Yay science.