Trying to Get Pregnant

Worried about Morning Sickness

Hi! I'm new to the bump. Me and my husband just decided to begin trying to conceive this week and I'm so nervous about morning sickness!! I will not be taking any medications for it as my nephew passed away recently from a heart defect that we feel may have been caused by the nausea medication. How did everyone manage the nausea and vomiting while having an 8-5 and other times in general? I don't like vomiting in general and try to avoid it at all costs. I know it will be worth it in the end, but I'm still nervous.

Re: Worried about Morning Sickness

• I don't think anyone looks forward to vomiting! Since this is a TTGP board, though, there are many women on here who haven't been pregnant before. You might want to try posting this in the 1st or 2nd Trimester boards so you can get info from women who are currently or recently dealing with this.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Truthfully I haven't really given it any thought. I just want to be prego! 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Loading the player...
  • ***loss mentioned****

My first pregnancy (I was 16 so it was about 5 years ago) I didnt experience any morning sickness the first few months. It wasnt until the weeks leading to my miscarriage that I started feeling sick. I was perscribed the pill the commercials warn us against(idk if i can mention the name so better safe than sorry) which I refused to take. Instead I started using essential oils. Peppermint essential oil diffuser really help. I still use it when Im feeling sick now.
  • lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited June 2015
    It's not a given that you'll actually get morning sickness. My mother didn't experience morning sickness with either of her pregnancies. She said is she felt nausea, she would eat crackers and it went away. She kept crackers right by the bed.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that a common cause of sickness in pregnancy is actually from getting hungry. A lot of women deal with this by always having snacks with them that are easy on the stomach.

My point is, there is no sense in borrowing trouble from tomorrow when you may not even experience this severely.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• halesh5 said:

Hi! I'm new to the bump. Me and my husband just decided to begin trying to conceive this week and I'm so nervous about morning sickness!! I will not be taking any medications for it as my nephew passed away recently from a heart defect that we feel may have been caused by the nausea medication. How did everyone manage the nausea and vomiting while having an 8-5 and other times in general? I don't like vomiting in general and try to avoid it at all costs. I know it will be worth it in the end, but I'm still nervous.

*previous pregnancy mentioned *

Hyperemesis runs in my family; mom had it both pregnancies, sister had it three, and I had it during my first. It got so bad that I couldn't hold water down, let alone food. Pretty sure I'll be taking Kytril again. It's what they give cancer patients undergoing chemo and it's the only thing that allowed me to resume eating normally. There are a wide range of medications that are available and safe for pregnancy.

• Pregnancy eeze worked well for me in a previous pregnancy. Lol this is putting the cart before the horse though. You may not experience morning sickness. I'd wait for that bfp first before you worry about symptoms.
  • [BFP mentioned] 

Not everyone even gets morning sickness, so I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes.  I was nervous at first because I didn't want to be sick while at work, but so far it's definitely been manageable for me as you start to learn what triggers it.  I just make sure I eat every couple of hours, stay hydrated, try not to get too hot, and pop in a Preggie Pop Drop if it starts getting bad.  Honestly, though, I would have been willing to be sick every day of my pregnancy as long as I got a healthy baby as the end result, so morning sickness never really crossed my mind when TTC.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Trigger - loss

During my pregnancy (which ended in loss that was not related to being sick) I was sick the entire 28 weeks. It sucked. I just learned how to deal with it. I would give myself an extra half hour to lay in bed before getting up. If I had to puke in the morning, I just drank water and let it happen. That was easier than fighting it.
    Throughout the day, I combated it by eating frequently and avoiding getting too hot. I could not get in a car without snacks or go longer than an hour without eating.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• *lurker - pregnancy mentioned*

You don't know how ms will affect you. I had mild nasea that most of the times could be combated by eating something - fruit, crackers or just ice cold water did the trick. I only threw up once during the entire pregnancy.
    My SIL on the other hand had ms for 36 out of 38 weeks and was seriously dehydrated.

My advice is not to be worried about that stuff in advance. You'll learn to deal with it when time comes.
  • Cart way before the horse here. You may get lucky and not suffer from it, but there are some ways to deal if you want to avoid the medication (though if it's severe, you may not be able to as it's more important to keep something down and get the nutrients you and your child need than to avoid puking). As for me, I also used peppermint oil. Never allowing myself to get too hungry helped too. Always keep crackers or other small snacks on hand. Gingerale is also good (nice tried a true remedy from childhood).
  • MaydarMaydar member
    edited June 2015
    I'm scared, too. I'm a weird version of emetophobic where I'm only a teensy bit scared of vomiting myself, but I'm (sometimes cripplingly) afraid of witnessing anyone else getting sick. So, because of that, I instantly feel HORRIBLY GUILTY if anyone can see or hear me throwing up, and therefore, dread it terribly.

I'm SO glad I'm starting a new job in August where I can eat and drink - in my current job, there's no food/drink/gum in the laboratories, so even water is a significant walk away (after removing gloves, lab coat, etc). It would have been a nightmare to deal with nausea while working here.

***previous pregnancy mentioned***

My only other pregnancy I was 15 years old, so I imagine now at twice that age, my body may react differently, and I don't put too much stock into how things went that time around. I had true MORNING sickness, where I'd throw up partway through breakfast, and then not even feel sick again for the rest of the day. That was manageable. Around week 14 I had 2-3 days that I was sick ALL day, and since it correlated with a OB appointment anyway, I asked for some anti-nausea medicine. I never even felt nauseated at all after that, unless it was triggered by a food or smell. Anyway, if that happens again, I'll be totally fine with it! 
    Me 31  DH 36
    Married March 2013
    TTC #1 June 2015
  • Lurker from Jan 2016 *pregnancy mentioned...

I have had a phobia of vomiting for the last 15 years of my life. I am talking I haven't thrown up since I was 12 because I hate it so much. I decided I was willing to take the chance because I wanted a child so badly. All of my friends and family told me it wasn't so bad. And it wasn't for them....
    I have been very sick and vomit a lot...but you know what they were right. It's worth it if you really want to be a mother. There are plenty of tricks that help the nausea and vommiting and it will go away. It's awful for some people, and not for others. Don't let it stop you from having children if it's is what you want. Many women put their bodies through the gauntlet just trying to get pregnant. Nausea is a small common problem that is manageable. If you get pregnant, sick or not it is a blessing because your body is doing something incredible. I can only say this now that I am in my second trimester. 3 weeks ago my post may have been very different....but point is it goes away.
  • Good luck with TTC. If you are really very anxious about vomiting, maybe it's the anxiety you need to work on and not the nausea. Fear of vomiting has a name - emetophobia - like previous posters mentioned. Actually, phobia are among the most "easy" mental conditions to treat. A few sessions with the right therapists could buy you so much peace of mind! And it's something you could do right now to prepare for your pregnancy.

As for dealing with the nausea: some women find ginger (in tea for example) helpful. I didn't. Look into pressure points: massaging your wrist in the right way might help. It may be nonsense, but it's free, easy and harmless. Also, eat something like a dry cracker before getting out of bed in the morning.

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
    BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

• kgbbsc7 said:

I'll vomit everyday if it means I get a LO. 

This times 100!

**loss mentioned**

I was finally starting to feel better and into the 2nd tri when I found out there was no longer a heart beat. I would love to go back to feeling sick everyday if it meant I was still pregnant.

**kids mevtioned**
    Seriously it all becomes worth it when you hold your baby for the first time. You forget quickly the pain of birth, restless nights of peeing all the time, and morning sickness.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • *previous pregnwncy mentioned*

You may be worrying for no reason at all. Seriously everyone is so different.

Just quietly though it's a big call to say you absolutely won't take medication, I'd go into it with an open mind. I was against medication and was so sick it was either be hospitalised on a drip or take the damn tablets.
    To be honest there are extensive studies on the safety of the meds I took...and extensive studies on the effects of malnutrition on the developing fetus.

Maybe get pregnant, then see if you're sick, then see how sick, then worry about this...
  • PugsandKissesPugsandKisses member
    edited June 2015
    Cart before horse.

• Cart before horse.

^ This. But if you are really worried, you might think about things like ginger or mint tea. They can settle an upset tummy. There is lots of info on Google and Pinterest for how to combat morning sickness, perhaps you should start investigating there?
    imageimageimage
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge

• lol I have colitis/IBS - i'm nauseated all the time and random things make me vomit. I'm more worried about my hoo-ha being a water slide.
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• i ate A LOT of sour patch kids ;)
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker