February 2016 Moms

Horses anyone?

Just curious if there are many horse owners in our group! What disciplines do you ride and how long into your pregnency do you plan to continue riding?

Me? Barrel racing and I'd like to continue through 12/13 weeks.

Re: Horses anyone?

• My parents are thoroughbred trainers so we don't ride our horses but they are getting a brood mare in the next couple of weeks so we can start breeding which I find super exciting! I've grown up with horses and never knew it wasn't normal to go to horse races lol. I used to barrel race and loved it. My DH and I have discussed getting a quarter horse for our babies to learn to ride when they are big enough.
  • I had an Arabian with my first pregnancy. I didn't ride her while I was pregnant. She could be spooky so I didn't want to risk falling. (Had a horrible accident in 2010.) I did do a lot of groundwork with her which was fun. She passed away right before my son was born, sadly. I wish he could've met her. Have fun with your horsey!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I train and coach show jumping professionally. So long as I feel up to it (and with my doctor's blessing) I'm continuing with my riding/showing schedule. But after the first trimester will probably start to wean out of the riding, at least with certain horses, and just continue teaching.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• My horse died unexpectedly while I was in medic school two years ago :'( I cried like a baby. After medic school I moved and don't want to pay to board anywhere so I don't have one at the moment. I used to ride both English (mostly just messing around and improving posture and such) and western pleasure/trails. Point being I still have several friends who ride well into second trimester. Mostly until they feel their belly is too big or they don't fit in the saddle.
  • I met my husband by helping him out at his training barn... 13 yrs later we're married with 3 kids and one on the way. I've had 3 of my own horses over the years and just bought one back that I regretted selling.. We had another given to us that is a great kids horse and our oldest is having a great time learning to ride him. Our two boys are both Arabs but I've riden a few stock breeds as well. I've ridden hunt, western pleasure, equitation and reining so far. I try to ride now but doesn't happen all too often with our busy schedules but my son and I are aiming for a show in August although I think that will be my last time riding this year. I will be about 14 weeks then so we'll see.