October 2015 Moms

insurance/benefits ?

So our open enrollment starts in August and I was wondering if my deductible starts all over... Does anyone know? I am a teacher and have no idea how this works. I called HR and they said they would find out and get back with me but I haven't heard back from them. Just curious if any of you might know the answer to this...

Re: insurance/benefits ?

• It will depend. It could be in the fall (September/October) or the new year.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends on your insurance so it can vary quite a bit. Wish I could be of more help but I would just contact your insurance provider. I know that my insurance has a help line on my insurance card to ask questions like these. You might get a faster response than going through HR. 
  • Loading the player...
  • nbpa3027nbpa3027 member
    edited June 2015
    Our insurance has open enrollment in May and then it takes effect July 1st. Our deductible starts over on July 1st. It mentioned the effective date in the paperwork somewhere. My guess is that if you are doing open enrollment soon, you are likely to start over with your deductible before your little one is born.
  • It will definitely vary. Mine is in November for January updates. My guess is that yours will probably start over before baby though just because that seems like a long time otherwise.
  • I guess I will call insurance company and find out. Usually, we have open enrollment in aug and it does change in sept. :(
  • Whenever the changes go into effect would generally be your new "year". Sorry, that really kind of sucks!
  • On all of the benefits info it should say when your new year starts.  It will not be immediately, but for a certain time period.  For example, we have open enrollment in October but the new benefits don't go into effect until Jan 1st.
  • Yea our open enrollment is in fall but it's a yearly deductible. Your health insurance provider should have the info on their website. United healthcare has a great app that even tracks your expenses and deductible. Due in October and was happy it
    Worked that way with everything falling into one calendar year as it is cheapest!
  • I see your Open Enrollment starts in August but when do the changes take affect?  September?  Most insurances run on a calendar year for deductibles/out of pockets and start over in January regardless of when your benefits renew.  Most....but not all!  You should just be able to contact your insurance provider's customer service number and they will let you know or your HR rep should know.  I'm praying for you it doesn't start over!

• megewymegewy member
    Mine when I was teaching had enrollment in August and then started Oct. 1st and deductibles started over. The new insurance year was Oct. 1 to Sept. 30
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• megewy said:
    Mine when I was teaching had enrollment in August and then started Oct. 1st and deductibles started over. The new insurance year was Oct. 1 to Sept. 30
    Ours used to be like that too, but they switched us to the first of the year awhile ago. Teacher schedules are often different because of the way the school year/fiscal year falls. Whenever the plan year goes into effect, that's when your deductible starts over. Unfortunately, that may fall right before baby is born. 
  • Thanks for the replies. :) I talked to my doc office finance person and I think I will be ok. She said as long as I keep the same policy it shouldn't change. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get screwed!