November 2015 Moms

2nd pregnancy, totally different weight gain

hi all, I'm almost 21 weeks and I feel so different this time round, I was very much all bump with my first boy Maximus, however this time round I'm having another boy but my bump is no way as big and the weight is distributing all round. I'm trying not to let it get me down but people can be so insensitive with their comments!! I had someone at a family BBQ yesterday tell me they didn't realise I was pregnant they just thought I was getting fat! Not what you want to hear!!!I had my second scan today and the mw told me my baby is lying to one side. I'm doing pregnancy pilates 3-4 times a week and 'trying' to eat healthy but it makes no difference. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Does it level out at any stage? I look at photos when I was full term with max and my legs look smaller!!
X

Re: 2nd pregnancy, totally different weight gain

• I am experiencing the exact same thing. I have a 4 year old daughter, and with her I gained 50 pounds but was ALL belly. This time I'm not sure what I'm having, and have only gained 6 pounds at 19 weeks, but I have put on weight EVERYWHERE. I am spinning 3x/ week and trying to eat healthy too. My arms and legs feel like the size of a small country (each), and I'm swollen everywhere!
  • Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about where you gain the weight when you are pregnant. This is my 4th and each pregnant belly and where I have gained weight has been different. I always generally gain in my hips and thighs but with some babies I looked like what you are describing and with others I had a bigger belly and growing thighs. Try to embrace your individual belly because everyone is going to look different.
  • Loading the player...
  • My first pregnancy I barely gained anything until right at the end, I just looked slightly bloated in my midsection. This time I am actually becoming way more self conscious because I have a very large noticeable belly, but along with it my thighs and butt have gotten huge, I have cellulite for the first time ever in my life and I feel like my hips have expanded. This baby is wreaking havoc on my frame and I'm having a minor aneurism about it.
  • This is me!! I have gained 10 lbs at 21 weeks (instead of 5 with my first), and it seems to have gone to my butt and thighs (though I have a pretty good belly going and I've gone up over s cup size too). I gained 33 total with my first, but I gained like 20 lbs in second tri. I'm hoping it's just more steady this time and it'll be fine. I'm still running 3 miles 3 days a week and actually eating way less ice cream than my first! I lost it all in 7 months last time, so trying not to worry too much, but it's kinda scary!
  • This is me!! I have gained 10 lbs at 21 weeks (instead of 5 with my first), and it seems to have gone to my butt and thighs (though I have a pretty good belly going and I've gone up over s cup size too). I gained 33 total with my first, but I gained like 20 lbs in second tri. I'm hoping it's just more steady this time and it'll be fine. I'm still running 3 miles 3 days a week and actually eating way less ice cream than my first! I lost it all in 7 months last time, so trying not to worry too much, but it's kinda scary!
  • Yes, unfortunately. I gained less in first tri last time, but I'm gaining more each week now and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. I've already caught up with weight gain from #1. I gained 36# with number one. Although I did lose it all within a year, I wanted to gain a little less this time. I've gained six pounds in two weeks and it's freaking me out!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm the opposite, my 1st pregnancy I gained weight steadily, close to 30 lbs by the end and this time around I'm 17 weeks and I haven't even gained 5 lbs but my bump is definitely getting bigger
  • nano1nano1 member
    I've been trying to ignore this, but that's me too. I've gained about the same weight as with ds but it looks like it hit my thighs this time for some annoying reason. Looking forward to many runs next year!
  • urby87urby87 member
    My sister had totally different pregnancies with her first two, as well (both boys, fwiw).  Tons of morning sickness, aversions to some of her favorite foods, and gained over 70 lbs. with the first.  Completely different with the second.  We were talking on Sunday and she said the only thing she remembers being the same between the two was the heightened sense of smell.  You're only about halfway, so there's going to be an awkward transitional phase between looking pudgy and bloated and looking pregnant.  I finally feel like I'm coming out of that phase myself, so I feel for you.  I know it's rough to not feel down on yourself sometimes, but hang in there and try not to let the comments get to you!