April 2015 Moms

Is it colic if it's all day crying? Anyone switch to soy or use a probiotic?

DD will be 8 weeks old and we've had her to the ped several times to try to figure this out.  I feel like anytime she's awake she's crying.  :(  Is this normal?  We are thinking about using the soy supplement formula along with me cutting dairy, but I'm not sure.  We were also suggested to give her half a probiotic capsule, but I'm nervous about it.

At this point she spends so much time crying or sleeping.  What is all this playtime everyone talks about?

Re: Is it colic if it's all day crying? Anyone switch to soy or use a probiotic?

• No advice but I feel for you and am with you 100%. Our evenings are bad as well but when my 10 week old is awake he is usually eating or crying.

We breastfeed though but I am following for responses. Thinking of you!
  • We thought our son had colic but it was all digestive issues. We switch formulas to Gerber good start soothe and he is a whole new kid
  • Loading the player...
  • Digestive issues here too. Baby is on Zantac twice daily and there is a great improvement.
  • ladyteach0505ladyteach0505 member
    edited June 2015
    Amie2110  what'd you use before?
    pistachio&blush are you using formula?  I'm trying to decide if gas drops don't work if we should switch formulas before going to Zantac.  DD is currently on Enfamil and breast milk. :/
  • RSupryRSupry member
    My first LO was on enfamil soy formula and spit up all the time, once we switched to similac soy he spit up a lot less.
  • @Rsupry Do you remember if you gradually switched formulas?  I keep hearing things about Enfamil...
  • Babykells3Babykells3 member
    edited June 2015
    DS2 was put on Similac Isomil (soy formula) when he was about 5 months. He was the crankiest baby, constantly spitting up, diarrhea, crying all the time, pulling away from his bottles and crying while he ate, but his pediatrician said it was just probably reflux and that he was gaining weight fine so there was nothing to worry about. Finally I gave the Isomil a try and within 2 days he was a totally different baby!! Happy, eating without a fuss, not spitting up, and sleeping more then 2 hours at night. It was so nice!
  • Babykells3  Did you switch formulas all at once or gradually?
  • First he was on Target brand regular then to the sensitive one. Then we started adding pear or prune juice this bottles because he wasn't popping. That combo worked for about 4 weeks and then he started to be cranky/colic. We switched to the predigestive and it was almost an immediate difference. Sleeping thru the night and all
  • RSupryRSupry member
    @ladyteach0505 I switched all at once
  • Are you breast feeding? My daughter is 11 weeks and at her 1 month appointment we discussed colic. I was advised to cut all dairy including all processed food with dairy. She also suggested using a probiotic to help build up the good bacteria in her tummy. Once I cut dairy it was a complete 180! Ever since she has been a happy and playful baby.

Good luck mommy it'll get better!
  • In a similar boat.. Baby was throwing up mass amounts of BM so I cut dairy and added a probiotic my LO is 10 weeks old and has been sleeping 6hrs through the night and goes about 3 during the day. I would suggest BIOGAIA they are drops and definitely easy to use! I also use kyo-dophlius you get it at a whole foods store it's a powder pill.. Break the pill give baby half the powder on a wet finger every day.. Good luck!!
  • This sounds like my baby at 5 weeks. Mine has reflux. He takes Prevacid 15mg daily. We burp him after every ounce as well. He was on breast milk and I was supplementing. After switching to different formulas I realized the one thing I wasn't changing was the breast milk. I decided to cut it out and I saw dramatic improvement in my little guy. He just wasn't thriving on my milk. He's on similac advance and he loves it. The burps and the Prevacid help a ton! Hope this helps you. I've been there and it's rough.