December 2014 Moms
Options

Who's done PB yet?

teaismCAgalteaismCAgal member
edited June 2015 in December 2014 Moms
Our doctor has advised us to introduce peanut butter — in very small amounts — between 4 mos and 6 mos. We introduced it this week (6.5 months). For the first try, we took a tiny drop of PB and mixed it into his solids, then did a speck more for his second time (three days later). Our doctor has advised us to keep doing this a few times a week, very gradually increasing the amount. 

I've been talking to friends and it seems like nearly every doctor has a different method for introducing PB. My SiL was told to eat some herself and then kiss her baby. Has anyone else received different direction from their docs? We're sticking with our doctor's instruction, but I'm curious to hear how other parents handled PB. 

*Please note — this is what our doctor told us, please talk to your own doctor about what he/she recommends for your LO. (For instance, our doctor ONLY advises this approach for families WITHOUT a history of allergies and for babies WITHOUT eczema.)* 

Re: Who's done PB yet?

• Options
    My advice would be to make sure you have Benadryl on hand and know the dosing for your child. When we introduced it to our first son he had a reaction and we didn't have any on hand. Also don't do it past lunch time till you know he's had it several times without an allergy. It is a life threatening reaction they could have several hours after ingestion. Not to scare you, just to make sure you are prepared. My first son has a peanut allergy so my second son will be tested next week at 6 months and we will go from there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yep - we did all of that. We had a very lengthy talk with our doctor before we introduced it. 

Per my original post, I think everyone should talk to their doctor before they introduce PB and follow their doc's instructions. This thread is just intended to be a casual chat with other parents who have introduced PB and how they did it, how did it go, etc. It's just interesting to me how much the methods etc vary! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    stejjystejjy member
    We haven't yet, will be chatting to his dr at his 6mo checkup on Wednesday. But my friend said her dr advised to do a spot test, similar to when you use a hairdye for the first time. Put a little bit on their shin, wipe it off after about 5 minutes and if there isn't a reaction in 24 hours to then you're good to try feed it to them.

It's interesting to see different drs opinions and approaches.
  • Options
    I started him on peanut butter at 6 months. Our pedi gave us the all clear to give LO any and all foods, except honey and whole milk until he is a year old.
    He has not had straight pb yet but a pb snack called bamba. It's kind of like a cheese puff but instead of cheese it's pb. It's made with 45% pb and the boy loves it.
  • Options
    Our pedi also gave us the go ahead to test out peanut butter with our 6 month old. I haven't yet. I think she recommended just putting a very tiny amount on our finger and giving it to our LO. I had not thought about having Benadryl on hand until I read something like that on FB the other day. Definitely going to get some before I give our DD any pb. I like the idea of putting a bit on the shin to skin test.

I eat pb all the time and did when I was pregnant and hubby or extended family has no sort of nut allergy so I can't imagine our DD will BUT you never know I guess!