Trying to Get Pregnant

venting!!! TMI alert!! brown discharge in luteal phase

maryfarimaryfari member
edited June 2015 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hi y'all!

FYI This is a vent out post so, in case you are in no mood for it. Long post ahead.

I have a 28 day cycle with ovulation around cd 14 or 15 each cycle. For the past several months I have been having light brown discharge during the luteal phase. Back in the days when I didn't Google stuff, I had no idea what it was so I ignored it. And then my fertility treatment started and problems started showing up. I've been under active treatment for the last one year and gladly all problems are resolved, or so I'd like to think. EXCEPT the brown discharge. The only time I conceived naturally (which ended in miscarriage at 5 weeks), I remember clearly that cycle I had no brown discharge. Nothing. All clear. Needless to say, I had brown discharge all other cycles and didn't get pregnant. 

So the doc told me I had my chances up this cycle since I had an HSG done, which was painful because I have one blocked tube. Still I want to look at the brighter side. We DTD every other day like my doctor suggested and just when I was really happy that we gave our best shot, the horrible brown discharge is back on cycle day 16. It's watery and light brown. I need a pantyliner to keep it from getting on my pants. I'm on cd 18 now and the discharge continues. I am angry and frustrated because I think I'm out this cycle. I soooo want to conceive but it feels like this cycle is not it... again! I feel like I'm stuck in a spot and that the doctors are either unable to find the actual problem or they're really not focusing. I want to try some natural cycles before I resume my treatment again during which I surely would bring this nagging issue up.

Do you have some similar stories with brown discharge? Or some hopeful stories you want to share? Thanks for bearing with me. You girls rock!

Re: venting!!! TMI alert!! brown discharge in luteal phase

• ecmbecmb member
    *ticker warning*

Brown discharge during your LP should not affect your chances of conceiving as long as your LP length is long enough. I think the fact that you got pregnant (sorry for your loss) the one cycle you didn't notice this spotting and not the others is purely coincidental.

I have always spotted in my LP and have still managed to get pregnant twice.

Since it sounds like you're already receiving fertility help, have you had your progesterone checked?

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• ecmb said:

*ticker warning*

Brown discharge during your LP should not affect your chances of conceiving as long as your LP length is long enough. I think the fact that you got pregnant (sorry for your loss) the one cycle you didn't notice this spotting and not the others is purely coincidental.

I have always spotted in my LP and have still managed to get pregnant twice.

Since it sounds like you're already receiving fertility help, have you had your progesterone checked?

After two days of worrying and thinking about it like crazy, I want to tell you your comment means so much to me! Hugs! Yes I do have a normal luteal phase length with period coming exactly 14 days after my ovulation (used opks, temping and trigger shots at different points in the last year to verify this). No I haven't had the progesterone blood test done recently though I've been pushing my doctor for it. I'm really frustrated why she says it's not needed yet. I've had one natural pregnancy which I mentioned and one IUI cycle where I conceived (which ended in ectopic). They gave me progesterone pills for that and during that cycle too, I didn't spot at all. So don't you think it could be the low progesterone since twice I conceived there was no spotting.

I want to push my doctor for the tests now and see when I can get a hold of her. I did do a 3 month course on medications for this abnormal spotting issue and that didn't help at all. In fact, I had the spotting while even on it. That's really freaking me out.

Love to hear more from you ladies. Please help!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I realize this was posted a long time ago, but I'm hopeful for some help too! I have the same issue, Maryfari. I have a 14 day luteal phase, period comes like clock work but for some reason for the last 3 months (1 normal, 2 medicated IUI cycles) i've had watery, brown spotting with pink color as well from 4 days past iui or ovulation until my period starts. My RE does not want to supplement with progesterone and has not ordered progesterone lab work. I have a hysteroscopy schedule for next cycle to see if it's polyps or something similar. I'm frustrated. ANYONE HAVE THOUGHTS ?!? Thanks ladies!
  • edited January 2017
    @Knottie4239181

I agree with my homegirls @LuND @eggplantface that this would be a great question in our daily threads. If you have read those (which I hope you have) you'll note that I'm dealing with this issue right now. For the past 7 cycles, I've had 3-4 days of spotting at the end of my LP. In December, I had an u/s to check for issues, such as polyps. That came back clear and I had a endometrial biopsy yesterday to check for other things. I also have CD3 bloodwork scheduled for next cycle. While I don't have my biopsy results yet, I think this is likely a low progesterone issue. I am wondering why your RE doesn't want to at least check your progesterone levels. Did you ask why? 

Edit: wrong tag because your username isn't easy! Please change it if you decide to stick around, which I hope you will. 
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Dating since: 11/17/2001
    Married: 9/26/2009
    TTC: June 2016
    BFP: 9/01/2017
    EDD: 5/14/2018