September 2015 Moms
Options

DIaper Bags

I am tweaking my registry and I have a diaper bag on it, but I am now wondering if I should get a second bag for DH. Will he need one or do most people find one is enough?
Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012

Re: DIaper Bags

• Options
    We have a shoulder bag that both of us can use. He hardly ever uses it but it has been nice when he needs it. A backpack would do just fine, too, though
  • Options
    We bought a more manly looking one for DH. He didn't use it a ton but was happy to have it when he did.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was gifted a blue one with small pink details and DH had no problem using it. I eventually bought a navy blue one which he still doesn't mind using. But usually when it's just him and LO they aren't going far and he "forgets" it in the truck when they go inside a store or something. Daddy's are just different. Does your DH want a bag? Does he think he will going on outings often enough where he will need one?

Our DD is almost 2 and I've only bought one bag but have acquired 4, two were gifts and one came with a bedding set. So maybe you will inadvertently end up with one for him.
  • Options
    klpieklpie member
    I made sure my diaper baby was mainly black and solid so my husband would carry it. But he informed me he was going to order his own 'manly' bag lol.
  • Options
    My husband said he doesn't care what the diaper bag looks like, he has no problem carrying it around. I'm getting a skip hip duo bag either polka dots or cream with black hearts. He is going to be packing around a little girl who I'm sure will be decked out in pink or purple, so the diaper bag won't be an issue.
  • Options
    IzziesIzzies member
    We got my husband a "mag" (man bag). He used it a lot when DD was little and is now trying to convince me that he needs a new one now that we will have two. He is in law enforcement and purchased a tactical bag that he now uses to transport his gun, badges, etc back and forth to work. I'm a SAHM now so we always just use my bag. I'm pretty sure he want the new bag for some other reason than as a diaper bag so I've resisted giving in so far ;)
  • Options
    We have a pink/black/white diaper bag for our daughter and DH is not ashamed to carry it anywhere. It's never even crossed either of our minds actually...??? Obviously if our daughter is with him then people will know it's her bag and not his. But to answer your question, we have only ever had one diaper bag and that seems to work fine with us. We leave the bag wherever our daughter is so I drop it off with her at daycare and when he picks her up from daycare, he takes it with him. With this baby, we'll get a neutral colored bag but only because we don't know what we're having, not because DH refuses to carry a girly colored one..lol
  • Options
    I just want to add that I thinks it the cutest thing ever when I see daddy's and daughters especially when he's carrying something totally girly like a backpack, diaper bag, dance bag, ect. Just plum adorbs.
  • Options
    str13str13 member
    My bag is pink, green, blue, purple,yellow! A whole rainbow!!! DH doesn't ever mind carrying it, but like pp said daddy's are different. Most of the time DH says we don't even need a bag. I always take one just in case, you never know!!!
    If your DH wants a bag though I think it's fine. Just whatever works for you guys.
  • Options
    MW5280MW5280 member
    DH was with me when we picked out a Skip Hop Duo diaper bag in the Triangles pattern - it's mostly black and white with primary accent colors. He doesn't seem to care about the appearance of the bag as long as 1) I like it and 2) it will hold all the things we need at the time. I'll be a SAHM, so the bag is mostly for me and will replace my purse on a daily basis for the most part.
  • Options
    We went shopping for a diaper bag together at a discount store. Ours is this one (but we only paid thirty bucks for it). I tend to wear earth tones and usually shy away from bright colors and patterns. Plus our baby's color is green so it works. :)
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We only have 1 diaper bag that we use and that's been sufficient for us.  I used to have an all black one, so it didn't bother him at all to carry it.  I just recently got a new one that is navy blue with anchors on it and he's fine carrying that one too.  For the most part, I'm the one carrying it or we're together so it's been no issue for us.

If HE were the one doing most of the carrying of it (if he was a SAHD, for example), I'd probably get more of a back-pack style that he would want and I'd make due with that one. 

No time for making sure 2 diaper bags are stocked and ready to go!  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    edited June 2015
    Stocking and keeping two diaper bags handy would annoy me. Less is more. Maybe find one that's neutral and/or messenger style if he cares what it looks like. If my husband ever goes out with our toddler (still in diaps) to run errands then he leaves the bag in the car in case he needs it. What the bag looks like is a non-issue because it doesn't leave the vehicle with him lol.

ETA: I am the primary caregiver. DH rarely takes a child under age 18M anywhere solo so he doesn't need a bag just for him. If DH was the primary then I'd totally have a more masculine bag.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lnds30lnds30 member
    I got the one I really wanted from pottery barn at my shower and then I am giving my husband the Diaper Dude bag for Father's Day this weekend! I think he's going to like to have one that's more masculine.
  • Options
    I got a diaper dude for him. I excitedly stocked it back when DD was a baby in 2013. Eventually I replaced things in mine as I needed them from his. Since then it has sat in storage.
    I am also a SAHM and if my husband goes anywhere alone he just grabs mine. It is NOT manly (Vera Bradley!) but he doesn't care. If he did, he could pack his own backpack (and likely forget everything!).
  • Options
    I use a neutral tote bag (with brown owls) as my diaper bag now, and we both use it. If he's going to be carrying a bag for a day trip he uses LO's daycare backpack (formerly his-navy and white) so it's more comfy. Because I have a tote instead of a diaper bag with compartments, everything in the bag is in bags (wet/dry bag for diapers, clutch for tissues and creams, snack bag, etc) so it's really easy to switch things to a different bag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    amylou512amylou512 member
    edited June 2015
    I figure the bag will stay with the baby, no matter who is taking care of him, so we chose a diaper backpack that's more manly looking that we will share. I wouldn't want a bag that's too girly anyway, it's just not my style.
  • Options

Because I have a tote instead of a diaper bag with compartments, everything in the bag is in bags (wet/dry bag for diapers, clutch for tissues and creams, snack bag, etc) so it's really easy to switch things to a different bag.

Yup, this is us. I use a tote bag with smaller bags inside it - I am just not a big fan of the style of most diaper bags. Plus, I found I would forget where stuff was in all the zipper pockets. With the tote and smaller bags it is easy to see when I am needing to refill items. The tote looks like a big purse (I am crazy about Sakroots prints so I am getting a new tote, my old one looks a bit beat up as it still gets used) so that is my daily purse/diaper bag that goes everywhere. We use a Kipling Sherpa bag as our stroller bag. I am reusing that one from DD1 and my DH never had a problem carrying it. It has lots of pockets and I leave a full set of diapering supplies in it - I just add clothes, socks, and correct size diapers before we head out the door. It does take a minute but I am happy to exchange the extra minute for not having to carry a diaper style bag everyday. My DH seems to feel more confident with all those pockets and is lost in my purse tote. :-) Everyone is a little different! By the end of an outing a diaper bag will be the least that you will be carrying: your child, stuffies, shoes that have been tossed, balloons, sippy cups, you name it! :-)

Someone suggested asking your DH, and I think that's a good idea. Even if he isn't going to use it much some guys like having their own cool dude bag. It totally depends on his personality and how much you want to go shopping!