May 2015 Moms

Pack n play

Ever sense we brought ds home 3 weeks ago, he has hated sleeping in the pack n play. For our sanity he sleeps in rock n play and swing but it eats away at me. I'm worried about the transition to crib and want him to sleep on his back. Today, I tried putting him in the pack n play once he had fell asleep for a nap. He hates it!!!! He flalls around and then wakes up 10 min later every time!!!! Not to mention he hates being swaddled. What do I do?

Re: Pack n play

• I have the same problem! Mine is 6 weeks and senses once she is down in it. I have been using a fisher price napper, it is on an incline (designed for babies with reflux so they don't choke on spit up) and it has been working. We found ours at target. It isn't flat on her back but much flatter than a bouncer. It works great at night with her going for 3-5 hours at a time.
  • I would try to keep swaddling him before putting him on a flat surface otherwise he'll wake himself up with his startle response. Mine absolutely won't sleep on a flat surface unless swaddled. I'm also having a problem with making him sleep in the crib/pack n play. He tolerates the rock n play but I don't want it to become a habit either. Are you sure your LO hates being swaddled? Sometimes when you first swaddle them they think they don't like it but after you calm them down with
    food/rocking/shushing (a la the 5 S's), they like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • odawgodawg member
    I just keep trying the crib every day at naptime...at some point it should click. Remember that it takes babies longer to get into a deep sleep so I try to hold my LO longer than 20 minutes when Im attempting the crib. I hear there are foamtype objects to put on flat surfaces to help babies transition as well. The eating thing may be the beginning or current growth spurt....just got into 4th week and she is starting to sleep way better and need my boob less.
  • I just swaddled him and so far he hasn't minded it! He's awake and trying to move around but he's not screaming like before. Forgot to say thing before but our ped told us we could put magazines under the mattress for an incline. He's just hanging out right now! Hopefully this works
  • We took an infant sleep class, and they said not to worry about baby developing any "bad" habits until they're three months old.  So until then, whatever it takes (that is safe), is totally fine.  I never asked about a swing, but our pediatrician said it was totally fine to let DS sleep in the Rock 'n Play all the time, and she actually had her kids in one for the first four months.  

But with that aside, I would keep trying the swaddling since it's the only thing that will keep her from flailing her arms and waking herself up.  Maybe try different kinds and definitely do it after she is good and milk-drunk.  

DS loves his swaddle about 75% of the time, and the other chunk of the time, he's super pissed about his arms and fights it.  When that happens, I just take him back out of it, hold him tight and tucked up in my arms and try again a few minutes later. 
  • mars8kmars8k member
    Try swaddling him after he's soundly asleep so he wouldn't know lol, might work!
  • We put our DD in those fleece sleepers at