Breastfeeding

Pumping and bottle feeding

hi ladies, the short version is this: FTM w/8 week old, I'm returning to work on June 29 and have been battling Thrush since the week after birth. Because of this, I've waited to pump. Well time is running out and I still have it so I've started pumping this week. My question is, how long did it take your babes to learn and accept bottle feeding? We have just a week and a half to get him used to bottles!

And how do you manage to pump while alone with baby? Its taken me 2 days to get 4 oz because i have to wait until my husband is home, every time I try the baby cries or wakes up and I need to unplug and tend to him. Not to mention a growth spurt so he's on the boob every hour practically, so there's no time or extra milk to pump!

In just super anxious about leaving for work and not having enough and/or him not being accustomed to bottle yet when I go. Feeling overwhelmed by the time crunch :(

Re: Pumping and bottle feeding

• ldmwldmw member
    My baby accepted a bottle the first time we offered with no problems. She's never experienced any nipple confusion. (I wonder if some babies actually do as I've spoken to quite a few who have not).

I exclusively pump and have some tips for you. A hands free bra is a must. The Simple Wishes bra is the best. I tend to baby while pumping by either putting her next to me if sleeping in case she stirs, putting her in her mamaroo if she's content, and putting her next to me propped up on a boppy pillow to feed her if she's hungry. I also put my pump on an extension cord so if she is across the room in the mamaroo when I pump and gets fussy I can walk over without unplugging to tend to her.
  • I would start trying with a bottle ASAP. My son is exclusively breastfed. I don't go back to work until August but my husband wanted to try giving him a bottle a day to help with their bonding (right now baby only wants me and cries when daddy holds him.). My son has refused every type of bottle we've used. My husband has been trying ice a day for 2 weeks with no luck. I can get him to take it, but I start off breastfeeding and switch and trick him in the middle of the feed. Good luck!