July 2015 Moms
Options

Baby measuring in the 5th percentile??

i had an ultrasound today at 35 weeks 5 days because my doctor thought that my baby would be big because I've gained 53 lbs so far (starting weight was 130) so she wanted to check his growth but the results of the ultrasound showed that his head was measuring normal size but his femurs and abdomen were measuring very small, only in the 5th percentile! And he is only weighing 4 lbs which I know is only an estimate but doctor seemed very worried so she is scheduling me for another ultrasound for later in the week at another office to get a second opinion and she wants me to now come in twice a week to monitor baby's heartbeat!!! I'm beginning to get worried now because my doc said she's never seen a case like this where mom is gaining a bunch of weight but baby isn't growing and she mentioned something about inducing me at 37 weeks! Is anyone else's baby measuring small? I wonder if a significantly smaller abdomen and very short legs could be a sign of dwarfism?

Re: Baby measuring in the 5th percentile??

• Options
    This happened to me. At 34 weeks, she was measuring in the 3rd percentile. So we started twice weekly NSTs. Unexpectedly, my water broke at 35.5 weeks and she was born at 35.6 weeks. She was 4 lbs 11 oz at birth, very small but very healthy. We are taking her home tomorrow after only 48 hours in the hospital. Don't stress too much. Take care of your self and think positive. You will have a happy ending, too!!!
  • Options
    Yup, our little one has been measuring under the 10th percentile since 29 weeks. We go twice a week for NST as of 30 weeks and once a week for dopplers and ultrasound and clinicals. The best thing they can do is monitor your baby :) as of being induced at 37 weeks, that's what my day will be like tomorrow. They do another growth scan tomorrow and if she is under the 10th percentile they will induce me. Drink plenty of fluids and eat right :) don't worry too much, just be positive and stay healthy for you and your baby :D