November 2015 Moms
Options

STM's - Must haves for packing a hospital bag?

Re: STM's - Must haves for packing a hospital bag?

• Options
    I've also got my bag packed, and diaper bag for baby. Ya never know what you might swipe from the hospital :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've also got my bag packed, and diaper bag for baby. Ya never know what you might swipe from the hospital :) 

I didn't even think of a diaper bag!! Now I have more to think of lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

And yet again, @VexedMommy wins the internet.

Would you repeat offenders of this whole 'growing a baby' thing recommend actually packing a diaper bag for baby or just throwing baby needs into my bag? Or bringing the diaper bag mostly empty so I can take all the extra knickknacks I may get home like someone else mentioned?

I packed a diaper bag considering I didn't know what all the hospital was going to give us, and what would work for DD1 formula and diaper wise, children in my family have been known for sensitives and of course she was one of them.
    we put the extra stuff from the hospital in it when it came time to leave and left what she couldn't use.

Plan on doing the same this time and hope that if she can't use their stuff that she will be able to use what we have packed. :)
  • Options
    These are all amazing suggestions, and in my humble FTM opinion...if you can take the hospital tour, ask what they recommend bringing, the nurses at mine were really helpful in letting us know what to expect. Turns out they give us a pretty sweet swag bag with most of the stuff you need, even nice toiletries. My bag is pretty empty at this point because they provide so much.
  • Options
    fitmama89fitmama89 member
    edited September 2015

Would you repeat offenders of this whole 'growing a baby' thing recommend actually packing a diaper bag for baby or just throwing baby needs into my bag? Or bringing the diaper bag mostly empty so I can take all the extra knickknacks I may get home like someone else mentioned?

I will be (lightly) packing baby's diaper bag in addition to mine... Mainly so that I don't have to cram both of our stuff in one bag. Plus, I'm just excited to finally be able to use my diaper bag!

I plan on bringing the same stuff I brought for DD.
    - a couple outfits
    - swaddle
    - boppy
    - nail file (their little nails can be long!)
  • Options
    fitmama89 said:
    And yet again, @VexedMommy wins the internet. Would you repeat offenders of this whole 'growing a baby' thing recommend actually packing a diaper bag for baby or just throwing baby needs into my bag? Or bringing the diaper bag mostly empty so I can take all the extra knickknacks I may get home like someone else mentioned?
    I will be (lightly) packing baby's diaper bag in addition to mine... Mainly so that I don't have to cram both of our stuff in one bag. Plus, I'm just excited to finally be able to use my diaper bag! I plan on bringing the same stuff I brought for DD. - a couple outfits - swaddle - boppy - nail file (their little nails can be long!)
    I'm a FTM and I've been super appreciative of all the lists, but at the birthing class DH and I took, the teacher specifically said you can skip the boppy because you still have a baby belly that works nicely for propping baby up on, but that also keeps the boppy from fitting nicely against your body. Did you find the boppy still useful?
  • Options
    dogsombrerodogsombrero member
    edited September 2015
    rachswi said:

fitmama89 said:

I will be (lightly) packing baby's diaper bag in addition to mine... Mainly so that I don't have to cram both of our stuff in one bag. Plus, I'm just excited to finally be able to use my diaper bag!

- a couple outfits
    - swaddle
    - boppy

I'm a FTM and I've been super appreciative of all the lists, but at the birthing class DH and I took, the teacher specifically said you can skip the boppy because you still have a baby belly that works nicely for propping baby up on, but that also keeps the boppy from fitting nicely against your body. Did you find the boppy still useful?

Edit-- QBF--

Even if you don't use it for nursing it's helpful for holding the baby. I used it for both but my kiddo was huge. I'm bringing a twin version for the twins this time.
  • Options
    WeirdAliceWeirdAlice member
    edited September 2015
    rachswi said:

fitmama89 said:

- a couple outfits
    - swaddle
    - boppy

------------------------Edit Quote Fail------------------------

Even if you still have a belly the boppy should still fit comfortably you just have to work with it.
    , i wished I would have taken it the first time when i had dd1. It works well for support holding them, like when your tired but don't want to put them down but also feel like your arms can't hold them on their own without resting..
    We also plan.on having visitors so if they want the extra support holding them it will be there if needed.
  • Options
    If you are a nightgown person- pack a gown. If you are a yoga pant girl pack those. I will recommend granny panties that you never want to see again, because lets face it, you will want to be comfy. There is enough going on down there pain wise without uncomfortable clothing. Separate bags for you and baby are helpful. Anything that is going to help you relax and get through labor(smelly body wash, socks, whatever!) pack it. You don't want to have to send hubs out during labor!! Make sure he has a bag too!! Everyone is different, and every hospital is too. If you have questions, do the tour or call L&D and ask. The nurses are usually very friendly and helpful. This is number 3 for me, and a robe is a must have for walking!!!
  • Options
    For the granny panties do the STM's suggest a size that will have fit us at 6 months pregnant? Similar to what they suggest for your going home outfit?
  • Options
    fitmama89fitmama89 member
    edited September 2015
    rachswi said:

fitmama89 said:

- a couple outfits
    - swaddle
    - boppy

------------------- quote fail -----

Yes! I actually had my husband go home and get he boppy for me. I did end up staying at the hospital slightly longer than the typical 24 hrs after delivery though. I could have easily skipped it if I didn't end up being there a few days. I would consider it more of a want than need :)
  • Options

For the granny panties do the STM's suggest a size that will have fit us at 6 months pregnant? Similar to what they suggest for your going home outfit?

With DD I just went out and bought black boy short type underwear that would be large enough to fit a monster size pad! The size was whatever I was currently wearing. I never had to go up a size due to pregnancy though ..
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies- I'm a FTM and really appreciate all the awesome advice you've given- you guys are GREAT!!! Looks like I'm off to pack my bags- :))
  • Options
    Regarding underwear choices: I'm a FTM, so no experience, and I was wondering whether Depends would be a good idea, since they're basically just giant diaper/pads? That way you don't have to worry about the pad and the underwear and leaking, etc., you just take the whole thing off and throw it away.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    2 quick things from my first delivery

1) As a mom who's water broke (and possible to break on the way), it is important to bring spare clothes and not bank on wearing in what you'll wear out. My friend's husband hit the curb at the hospital and broke hers... Just saying it could happen :)

2) I found the overnight, long menstrual pads worked fine for post partum bleeding. I don't recall leaking hardly at all outside of the pads.

Good luck ladies and thanks for the refresher! There are some great tips on this feed.
  • Options
    This may be a dumb question, but did any STMs use a suitcase for a hospital bag? Right now we have one medium rolling suitcase packed for me, DH, and baby. Too much?
  • Options
    @Kristi4938 - All depends on what you're taking along. I'll be bringing a duffle bag for myself and diaper bag (not very full) for baby. Hubby will be going home to stay with DS but last time he also packed a duffle bag and I don't think he used it other than his contacts. PS: DONT FORGET YOUR GLASSES!! His stuff could have easily fit in my bag but as a FTM I definitely over packed :) I'm of the opinion to leave your nice things at home and ruin the gowns and housecoats etc that the hospital gives you tho.
  • Options
    I should mention that we were in the hospital for under 24hrs after our son was born so needed less. A more long term stay will require more but my hubby could run home and grab refresher items if needed.
  • Options
    I am thinking I will need to bring a small suitcase since in Canada they do not provide you with anything so you have to bring it all from home ( ex diapers, formula, housecoat, underwear etc).
  • Options
    @ashleyfreake - not sure if this is your first but they provided me with most things while I was in hospital last time. Diapers - cloth, formula (I BF tho), and mesh undies. Not that they let you stay long anyway ;)
  • Options
    @Kristi4938 Not personal experience, but if I recall my brother and SIL had a smallish rolly suitcase and a couple duffel bags (?)..they were out of the way and discreet though, and when I visited them I took down a bunch of stuff for them to their car.
    I'm a FTM, and I'd rather pack a little too much as long as nothing is in the way. I'll have family close by that can help bring things back to the car/home if need be, but if I do end up needing something I'd rather just have it available.
  • Options
    I am already doing great at this parenting thing. I Have packed a million things for baby and not a damn thing for myself. That's how it is isn't it? That's the big secret.
  • Options
    agerstner said:

@ashleyfreake - not sure if this is your first but they provided me with most things while I was in hospital last time. Diapers - cloth, formula (I BF tho), and mesh undies. Not that they let you stay long anyway ;)

Maybe it depends on where you live. My sister had a baby in December of last year, and they provided next to nothing. They even wanted her to bring her own tissue box and pen for signing documents!!
  • Options
    Yeah I think it just depends on where you live on what they require. My hospital has a huge list of all the things you need to bring
  • Options

agerstner said:

Maybe it depends on where you live. My sister had a baby in December of last year, and they provided next to nothing. They even wanted her to bring her own tissue box and pen for signing documents!!
    Are you kidding me???? A PEN!! That's ridiculous. As a nurse, I understand the issue of pen thieving all to well haha but that's a bit excessive. I'm shaking my head at this.. You should move to Alberta ;)
  • Options
    Not sure if I missed it but we took our baby book with as well so that we could get the baby's footprints put in it at birth as well. Our LD department also suggested DVDS that we like that could be used as distraction during labor or entertainment purposes if our induction was long or we were there for days.
  • Options
    BUMP!!! Somebody just made a post about a hospital bag and figured this needed to be bumped so if people need any information on hospital bags they could get it!!
  • Options
    Thought about bumping this yesterday!
  • Options
    34w 3d, just finished packing my bag, now I'm getting anxious!! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

My husband saw me doing it and asked if I was going somewhere. He's funny.
  • Options
    agerstner said:

This^^ I'm also in Canada and I got diapers my entire stay, a couple baby books (cute!) and mesh underwear, so others if that's your preference....

• Options
    Im a FTM so dont take my word for it but i have scoured the web and collated the below..
    I haven't actually even started packing yet but writing a list is a good start right?
    FOR ME

Paper work (Medicare card, Hospital paperwork and birthplan)
    4-5 x change of clothes (loose comfortable clothes ie. maxi dresses, oversized tshirts)
    Night gown
    Nightie / Night Shirt
    Slippers/socks
    Swimwear
    Massage Oil
    Lip Balm
    Toiletries - Hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, makeup, deoderant, shampoo & conditioner
    Multi Vitamins
    Hydrate/Ural
    Maternity & Nursing Pads (a few packs)
    Breast pads & Nipple cream
    Lots of spare undies
    3 x Maternity Bras
    Healthy Snacks & Sugar Free Lollies/Lollipops
    Coconut water
    Healthy Snacks
    Book
    Hairband
    Squirt Bottle & witch hazel
    Notepad & pen

FOR PARTNER
    Own Pillow
    Change of clothes
    Watch
    Phone
    Phone Charger
    Camera
    List of phone numbers
    Money - Vending machines etc.
    Snacks & Drinks

FOR BUBBA
    4 x stretchsuits
    4 x singlets
    4 x booties / Socks / Mittens
    2 x cardigan
    Baby blanket
    Nappies, Wipes & Cotton wool
    Going home outfit
    Bunny rugs
    Socks/Booties & Mittens
    Hat
    Baby Bath Lotion & Shampoo
  • Options
    I don't know why the damn hospital/diaper bag thing has me so damn stressed. I live in the same neighborhood as the hospital so if my husband needed to go home it would take 10 minutes there and back. Maybe it's the 8 year difference in kids but I feel like I forgot what I needed! With my first son I literally packed his entire nursery in the bag to take to the hospital. I had NO clue that the hospital provided stuff. And then of course in my bag I didn't bring a damn thing, and my husbands ex wife of all people came to visit during my labor and brought me grip socks, a nightgown, snacks and a book! Otherwise I would of had basically nothing.

I don't have my bags out but I know where it is and I'm starting to compile my list of what I'm packing:
    This time I'm bringing the same nightgown I was given for my sons birth in case I have a csection but also a pair of regular pajamas with shorts and a tshirt
    Toiletries (soaps lotion toothbrush etc)
    A lot of hair ties
    Chapstick
    Slippers and flip flops
    Maybe my makeup but that's not a requirement for me
    Camera and phone charger
    And I really like the idea of a track suit of some sort to come home in

Baby's stuff: I'll pack in a big bag so there's room for the hospital stuff they supply
    His baby book for prints
    Socks coming home outfit
    Blanket
    Car seat

Husbands crap he can pack but I'll probably send him home to be with our son. Being the only child for 8 years and that ending will be hard on the kid so I want him with his dad and not family.

I saw the coloring books idea, I love that so I definetly want to grab some. And snacks candy gum and whatever other random stuff I can think of.
  • Options
    wulfpackgirlwulfpackgirl member
    edited October 2015
    I delivered Wednesday. I haven't really used much but socks, slippers, flip flops, ear plugs, phone charger, chap stick, lotion and of course toiletries. I haven't used any of the clothes or underwear I brought. I've been in hospital gowns and the mesh underwear with pads they give you. I also might would pack a few snacks for you and hubby.
  • Options
    How much money do you guys think I should pack for my DH since they have vending machines and I know he's gonna want something? I was think like $10 in 1s.. But it seems like a lot.. I know how my husband is though but I think he will be too stressed and excited to really eat a whole lot.. And if we don't use it then it's fine but I would rather have too much then not enough.. But I'm thinking really $10? What do you ladies think? $10 too much or just right for vending machine money?
  • Options
    Dang , some people are bringing suitcases and multiple outfits for baby?! Seems like serious overkill!

This will be our fourth child and I packed:
    -nightgown, robe & flip flops
    -a maxi dress to wear home
    -extra undies & comfy sleeping bras
    -hair ties, foundation & mascara
    -deodorant & hairbrush
    -dry shampoo & face wipes
    -phone charger
    -Jolly Ranchers (for labor)
    -outfit & socks for babe
    -blanket for babe
    -baby nail file

It all fits in one small bag and we'll bring the diaper bag before discharge to carry hospital supplies out. We'll also get the boppy pillow from the van after delivery - it will help when our kids come to visit & meet the baby.

We're not packing a dang thing for my husband other than his phone charger and a pocketful of change (probably just $5 or so). We're lucky enough to live really close to our birth center (we timed the drive at 3.5 minutes) and we're planning on him going home to be with our older kids. I'm so glad it works out that way for us! You folks with long drives have my hugs!
  • Options
    Question on pants after birth - can we got into normal size pants? My maternity pants are elastic So they really aren't loose (stretch to your size), but my normal pants wouldn't fit on one leg at this point. Really stumped on this one. I keep seeing everyone bringing yoga pants, i have literally one pair of comfortable pants that i can fit into right now....
  • Options
    gkfk said:
    Question on pants after birth - can we got into normal size pants? My maternity pants are elastic So they really aren't loose (stretch to your size), but my normal pants wouldn't fit on one leg at this point. Really stumped on this one. I keep seeing everyone bringing yoga pants, i have literally one pair of comfortable pants that i can fit into right now....
    The best suggestion I've read is to bring something that would have fit you at the 6mo pregnant mark.  It may end up being baggy (huzzah!) or a little tight, but it should work. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    gkfk said:

I stayed in the hospital gown while in the hospital and wore home maternity yoga pants. That and pajama pants is all I have worn since giving birth a week ago. I haven't tried jeans yet.