October 2015 Moms
Options

Crib bumpers and Alternatives

I'm making my baby girl's crib bedding and I can't decide if I should make a thin bumper or buy a mesh one. I know that there's the increased risk of SIDs with the plushy kind but I'm still unsure which route to go. What are you mommas doing for your crib bumpers?

Re: Crib bumpers and Alternatives

• Options
    Im not using them. If need be I'll do a mesh one later. However, have you seen the rail covers? If its aesthetic, and looks "naked" so to speak without something there...you can look into those.
  • Options
    We bought the cutesy one because it looked cute. She slept in our room for the first sixish months. I switched to a mesh bumper when she started sleeping in her crib. The cutesy bumper was a waste of money but it made me happy to see the super cute crib. So not a total waste.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're getting the mesh ones mostly because when we do put her in her crib she'll be pretty far away from our room and I've heard my niece screaming when she's gotten stuck before. So I just want to save myself the panicked sprints through the house.

We may get the cutesy ones later when she's bigger if we want them. They are expensive though so if you want them and can make them I definitely would.
  • Options
    We are going with the rail cover instead of bumpers. I like the look better and the bumpers scare me a little :(
  • Options
    We didn't use bumpsers with dd1 (21 months now and on day 3 of sleeping in her big girl bed) and don't plan to with dd2 unless she ends up getting herself caught
  • Options
    I registered for a mesh bumper. Originally I was going to forgo a bumper, period, but I'm afraid of him or her getting caught between the rails.
  • Options
    We have the breathable/mesh bumpers. We used them with DD and will use them again with this LO. I think the cushy ones are a waste of money, TBH, but DD was pretty active with her reflexes and would bonk into things (like the crib sides), which is why we had a bumper at all. She still likes to nuzzle into the bumpers during nap time, so they are still in her crib! I would not have felt comfortable with regular bumpers considering how quickly she would roll to the side and mush her face into the bumper. When they are deep-sleeping, I think it's hard to know if they'll move on their own in order to get the air they need. Perhaps it was just peace of mind for me, but we like it enough to do it again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think I'm going to go the mesh bumper route. I'm just not comfortable with a plush one or going without completely. I was thinking of making a two sided bumper without any padding inside but I think I'll just spare myself the hassle and buy a mesh one. I'm planning on making the crib skirt, rail guard and curtains myself.
  • Options
    Decided not to do the bumper although I love the cutesie look. I was kind of bummed and kept looking for alternatives we decided on a crib rail cover ! It is adorable and is safer for baby. Just got it all in the mail yesterday so excited to get my skirt and rail cover on !
  • Options
    I got the mesh bumper. Sis in law recommended and has 3 kids. Safer the better for me!
  • Options
    I got rail covers for this baby. I used a bumper with the first two.
  • Options
    I wasn't gonna do a bumper just cause they are so expensive. But I found a bed set that my husband and I finally agreed on and it came with a bumper and lots of other stuff for cheaper than most of the bed sets I was looking at. The bumper is very thin and she'll be sleeping in our room at first anyway so I don't think it will be a problem.