May 2015 Moms

Mommy Fails

So I thought it might be interesting to post our Mommy fails. It might even be healthy to air out all those "gasp", "doh!", and "omg I've ruined him/her forever!" moments and realize that, although we're all super moms, we're going to have a lot of hiccups in this game called motherhood.

I'll go first. So far with DS2, I've bumped his perfect little noggin on the car seat handle, DS1 tossed a wii remote to me (with me yelling "no!" mid air) and hit DS2 in the back, and just now I only remember I should avoid dairy after basically inhaling a healthy portion of ice cream. Okay I won't lie, I remembered and took two more bites at least.

So com'on, fess up, have you ruined them yet?

Re: Mommy Fails

• Why should i give up dairy am eating cheese and yogurt every day and i read on the bump that yogurt is good for breastfeeding :-SS :-SS ,
    I was putting my little finger in my los mouth to soothe him until i can have some privacy to breastfeed and my brother who is a doctor saw me and he was like what the hell are you doing you might cause diseases for him and never do that again and i was like so ashamed But i still think it is okay to do so but who knows :-S
  • I was clipping her talons I mean fingernails and accidentally cut her little finger. It actually bled, I felt so bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • I can blame DH for this one. The day we came home from the hospital we tried to cut DS hospital bracelet off. They had put it so tight on his little wrist. DH cut his finger with the scissors. He felt so bad when it started bleeding. Poor guy.

DS still has a little mark on his finger.
  • I was clipping her talons I mean fingernails and accidentally cut her little finger. It actually bled, I felt so bad.

Yep. I did this too.
  • rae430rae430 member
    Was carrying DS around the kitchen while making coffee and he kicked out his little foot and touched the side of the scalding hot kettle. No burn but he screamed for a few minutes.

Had a grocery bag attached to the handle of the stroller today and when I hit a bump, the stroller suddenly tipped forward about a foot and a half before I stopped it from falling. I guess it was off balance from the bag :( DS didn't react at all but I felt like the worst mother ever.
  • lully25 said:

Why should i give up dairy am eating cheese and yogurt every day and i read on the bump that yogurt is good for breastfeeding :-SS :-SS ,
    I was putting my little finger in my los mouth to soothe him until i can have some privacy to breastfeed and my brother who is a doctor saw me and he was like what the hell are you doing you might cause diseases for him and never do that again and i was like so ashamed But i still think it is okay to do so but who knows :-S

DH and I have done this to soothe LO since the hospital... the nurses did it (gloved up) so we figured it was fine. She now prefers it to any kind of bink. We will not, however, let anyone else do it.

My only real mommy fail so far has been dropping my phone *sort of* on my LO. It dropped about 4 inches onto my chest but then bounced and the corner hit her in the chin. She didn't even wake up and I immediately kissed her little chin about 1000x and felt horrible!
  • I was putting the nugget into the car seat while she was already down for a nap. While buckling her in, I accidentally pinched her finger, she woke up screaming the worst sound I ever heard. I am extra careful now with the car seat!
  • I moved baby right when DH was moving his arm down, he bumped her noggin. That also happened when I was sitting in bed with her. DH was sleeping and shot up because our toddler stepped on him, bumped baby's head. When my first was this age i was taking him to the doc...got the car seat out, put it down, unbuckled him, wanted to put it back in and just carry him, forgot i unbuckled him, picked car seat up (thankfully just an inch or so as i was leaning), and baby slid on out. He didn't cry, but I sure as heck went to the doc's office as fast as i could.
  • In my middle-of-the-night stupor, I re-swaddled my LO with his bib still on, his onesie snapped all crooked and forgot to change his diaper after he finished eating. Then I got pissed off at & blamed it all on DH at the next feeding (still the middle of the night). Whoops.
  • We went on our first road trip today. Stopped for a fill up a few miles down the road and saw that baby was just placed in the seat. "This child hasn't been buckled in" I said to DH who apologized profusely and secured her.
  • I was sitting on the couch with LO when she suddenly threw all her weight to the side and fell onto the couch (6 inches from my arm). I felt so horrible but it didn't phase her. Needless to say, I now hold her extra tight prepared for this.
  • I was sitting on the couch with LO when she suddenly threw all her weight to the side and fell onto the couch (6 inches from my arm). I felt so horrible but it didn't phase her. Needless to say, I now hold her extra tight prepared for this.

My LO throws her weight like that too when I hold her up towards my shoulder. She'll do it while I'm walking and it scares the ish out of me!!
  • I went downstairs to do laundry, when I came back up she was being very fussy. I kept putting the binky back in her mouth, then after about 10 min a realised she had spit up all over herself! And had a poopy diaper. I felt so bad I didn't notice sooner.
    Also one day shortly after we brought her home, I almost ran a stop light. I was very close to getting in a wreck( would have totally been my fault). And to make it worse the lady that almost hit me was screaming out the window at me. I felt so bad and like I was the worst mommy ever!
  • Less than a week after we were home I was holding my LO and slipped and fell down some of our stairs. Instinct kept her in my arms so I took the whole impact (ouch) but I still feel awful
  • caseheelacaseheela member
    edited June 2015
    The second night in the hospital I was trying to soothe her and she was flailing around like a fish out of water and she bumped her head on a wall that I got too close to. I cried for hours.

SO and I had her out and neither of us thought to check her diaper and when we got home... Poop everywhere.

Another outing my SO and I went on with her we took her to a boardwalk concession stand that has wine and food. For whatever reason I didn't think we would need a bottle of pumped milk and I thought we were in the clear because I fed her right before we left. So, we're sitting there enjoying a much needed drink and she wakes up screaming because she's hungry. Luckily we live a block away but I felt so horrible. There were other moms at the concession stand with their LOs and some had 'been there done that' looks and others had 'how could they do that' looks. LESSON LEARNED.

• I made the bath water a little to warm...the look on my daughters face will probably haunt me forever...and my husband now draws the bath water because I'm scared to do it again..
  • I took LO to meet everyone at work, I was all in mummy mode saying how well we were doing and I had expressed especially for the visit,LO then decided she was hungry as I got the milk out the bag I realised I had not put the lid on properly and milk was all at the bottom of my bag, luckily LO fell asleep while I was sorting the bag.
  • I had nachos from bdubs last night & forgot to say no jalapeños. I picked the big ones off the top but I think they were diced throughout too. LO is not impressed today. I feel awful :(
  • First day home from the hospital and I was practically delirious from exhaustion. Baby girl was on the bed and I went to sit down next to her, and husband stopped me in the nick of time from sitting on her little foot! I couldn't believe I had almost done that and cried because I felt so bad.
  • mars8kmars8k member
    When DD was 3 days old she was still struggling with passing the black poo, she was screaming at the top of her lungs and nothing would soothe her, i was staying with my sister at the time and she was holding her and walking her around, then my sister checked her diaper, turns out she'd pooped a while back and was screaming wanting a new diaper, the poop was stuck to her lil bum and i felt so stupid and horrible for not checking again that i cried and kept crying every time i remembered for 3 weeks.
  • My fingernail nicked the top of my baby's soft little head. She screamed for a split second and then was fine. I bawled for 5 minutes. I still feel awful.
  • mamajama3mamajama3 member
    edited June 2015
    I had DD in a CuddleBug, baby wearing her, and she was up right against my chest. I realized I had on a sharp necklace pendant (flower with petals that are really sharp) that was bumping her. She didn't complain or anything but I felt so stupid when I realized it and immediately turned it to my back on the chain. Jewelry is another new thing to think about! Especially as they get grabby too.
  • I went downstairs to do laundry, when I came back up she was being very fussy. I kept putting the binky back in her mouth, then after about 10 min a realised she had spit up all over herself! And had a poopy diaper. I felt so bad I didn't notice sooner.
    Also one day shortly after we brought her home, I almost ran a stop light. I was very close to getting in a wreck( would have totally been my fault). And to make it worse the lady that almost hit me was screaming out the window at me. I felt so bad and like I was the worst mommy ever!

That's why hospitals recommend no driving for mamas for 2 weeks after delivery:)