December 2015 Moms

Investing in Baby Furniture - Worth it or Not?

2»

Re: Investing in Baby Furniture - Worth it or Not?

• I didn't spend a lot on furniture at all. I bough a crib for my son at Walmart and it was $200, it's a convertible one and I went to ikea to buy dressers for him. We current are using that same crib 6 years later for my daughter and once the new baby comes we will be using it again. The dressers are also still in really good shape. I didn't see the point in spending a ton of money on baby furniture, especially when it's so small compared to bedroom sets we would eventually be buying. We just got our son brand new bedroom furniture from Levin furniture and there's much more space for storage than in nursery dressers
  • Im not a fan of convertible cribs. I don't like the idea that my kid will have the same furniture from the time they are born until they go to college.  Kids destroy stuff. I am planning on getting a cheep but safe crib and then going to a second hand store and getting an old dresser and refinishing it.  Then down the road when we are better off getting a nice adult bedroom set.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am totally curious those of you that are buying comforters for your cribs and bumpers what do you do with them for ex. Decorate the room with them? Or use them when baby is a lot older.The reason I ask is because I went out and spent a lot of money on bumper and comforter and then found out you are not supposed to use them so I felt like it was a waste and I just decorate the room with the theme or decor and just have a sheet on the crib. So I wanted to see what everyone else did because those things sure are cute!!
  • Marchmellow2Marchmellow2 member
    edited June 2015
    @courtney198078 I made the same mistake too! But I do use the bumpers now. Now that he's old enough to move his face away from the bumper if he can't breathe. I'll probably use the comforter soon too.

ETA: DS is EXTREMELY cautious. So that's why I trust it. If he wasn't cautious then I'd probably never use them

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nobody has mentioned Wayfair.com you can get EVERYTHING there from Kim K's $6500 crib to the very very basic.

My heart is set on an upholstered velvet crib from Restoration Hardware so yes, it is expensive but it will match the rest of my home so worth it for me :-)

Lol I'm pretty sure I mentioned wayfair.com :P
    HA! And so you did :-) I totally missed it and I had to go back and reread because I saw you mentioned Pottery Barn, etc. but I miss the wayfair at the end of the post there. My bad and I'm sorry, overtired is my excuse ;-) but yes!

Whenever I go to Ikea I just about lose my mind. I like to call it Swedish prison. Once you go in there it's just amazes of tiny little rooms that you have to try to get out of. And then if you're at a busy one, you're going to go to get whatever they have in stock and they'll be out. Not to mention having to put it together with directions that are in Swedish. But, you can get some good deals if you're willing to go to Swedish prison to do so
  • BUY THE 'BABY BARGAINS' BOOK.

Yes, I used all caps. 600 pages, I'm 477 pages in and I already know this is the best $9.99 investment from Amazon I've ever made. It sorts through all the absolute nonsense found on the internet to tell you what's safe and worth the money. I'd send you all a copy if I didn't have to save my dollars for baby furniture! ;)
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I will probably go middle price range. I want to get a convertible crib and dresser and see if it will last depending on wear and tear.

Nobody has mentioned Wayfair.com you can get EVERYTHING there from Kim K's $6500 crib to the very very basic.

My heart is set on an upholstered velvet crib from Restoration Hardware so yes, it is expensive but it will match the rest of my home so worth it for me :-)

I love everything RH. Wish I could furnish my entire house with it.

Actually, I don't have much Restoration Hardware furniture in my house at all. I don't actually find their pieces to be comfortable to sit on whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful but they're just not comfortable. They do make great pieces for the bathroom such as mirrors and towel holders and baskets. I strictly use their hardware but I do love their baby section. Their kids furniture is also very nice. For the majority of my house, I've used Ralph Lauren, Mitchell Gold Bob Williams and Hendredon/Burnhart. I also have quite a few custom-made pieces and of course, that makes me a furniture snob… But I'm an old lady so I get to be ;-)

I'm pretty sure that the thing that I'm most concerned about purchasing in terms of an expensive item is a great rocker/recliner, I really want something that will support my head and be comfortable if we need to sleep in it every now and again. Plus, a lot of rockers are very ugly so I have a feeling that will cost me a fair amount.

• I'm a FTM and might be crazy but the only thing that I'm spending decent money on for the baby's room is a crib. Everything else I'll be DIYing or piecing together.

I don't see any reason to spend money on a dresser that matches when I can find a decent dresser on Craigslist and refinish it pretty inexpensively. I've also heard that a changing table is potentially a waste of money because you end up changing your baby wherever you are - your room, downstairs, on the floor, etc. So I will likely just use a normal dresser and put a little changing table/pad on top of it. 

Aside from that, I don't see too many other pieces of furniture that are necessary -- a bassinet for in our room to start with as well but I think we're getting a hand-me-down for that.
  • I honestly think a changing table is a good investment. Mine was free from a family member but I'm so glad I have it. My DS is 19 mos old and I still change him on that every time. I couldn't imagine chasing him around on the floor or a counter top trying to change him! I'd go crazy! Plus sometimes he has blowouts and I'm always so thankful that the poop didn't end up anywhere else but the changing pad cover. I've heard of people using a dresser with a changing pad and just using Velcro to secure the pad to the dresser. I think this is also a great idea, as long as it's a good height.
    I agree. I am getting a dresser she can use up until she is older. I'm only going to get the changing pad and base that you can put on tables/dressers. I think dressers just look better. 

@bostonbaby1 Good to know. I mainly love their decor and light fixtures. There are a few things I'm getting for nursery there and then going to find dupes for others. Some of it is just overpriced but if you get a good rocker, you can always re purpose for when they are older. That is one thing I'm browzing for right now. A nice chair.
    Due 11.16.17
    Baby Girl 12.9.15
    MC 2.1.15 @ 5 W - Chemical
    MC 4.7.14 @ 21 W - Turners Syndrome

• I live in a small apartment so im getting a 3 in 1 pack and play its a sleep along for the first few months then a bassinet and then when they are a little older a play pen that honestly will be great for the baby to sleep in until they are big enough for a bed and its packable and has wheels to move around the house
  • You mean I am supposed to buy furniture? I was just thinking of the dresser drawer as long as possible. I came early so my parents had to do that for a while since they had not gotten around to buying a crib. Now that I am hearing about chewing on furniture I really don't want to spend money. If I had to buy new, I'd probably do IKEA, otherwise finding garage sale stuff is fine with me (as long as no recall!!!)
  • Just an FYI, and I'm not trying to be mean or rude… But before buying the secondhand crib, everybody should be certain that it is up to today's standards! For example, the front of the crIb should no longer drop down. There needs to be enough depth for the mattress to be the proper distance from the railing at each stage (rolling over, sitting, standing.) I'm not against buying used at all, but I am against not researching what the current standards are. Hopefully you all find great stuff!
  • LC122LC122 member
    We went with investment pieces. But I am all about function, so ours are particular. Our crib converts to a toddler bed and full and we didn't have chewing issues. But the best part about our cribs is that they are fold-down (not drop-side) with a custom no-pinch hinge. They have been life-savers for me because I am short and it keeps me from having to lean so far over the rail, especially when we lower the mattress as they get older/taller/more mobile. It makes for much smoother transitions when putting them in their crib.

Our dresser was also a functional choice. Invented by a woman (genius), it has a lip around the whole top side to function as a changing table. And then, when you no longer need the changing table function, you flip the whole thing over and the lip is now the base of the dresser and all the drawers flip over in their tracks and you have a normal-looking dresser.

I love our kids' furniture. We chose a dark wood that would age well (ie not look like "kids furniture" when converted to a full). I love that the changing table/dresser is one piece and also grows with the child. It is really well made and I think worth it. It was definitely our splurge purchase, but each are well under four figures.

I'm still happy with our purchases but I will say that family planning or the inability to do so (in terms of sex of the babies) might play into your decision if you plan to have a big family. Our first two are both girls, which makes room-sharing easier, which raises a question of bunk beds or different furniture configurations. We haven't found out the sex of our third, but it may play into what furniture we buy next (getting bunks for the girls and using their "forever beds" for a boy), but I also like that each kid has their own set and we don't necessarily need to kick the toddler out of the crib so the new baby can have it.

I think it really depends on your budget, how many kids and how far apart you want to have them, and then the wild card of whether they will be chewers and whether you'll get a rail guard before you find that out.
  • Everyone provided really great feedback, thank you so much!

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker