March 2015 Moms
Options

Baby food

hi has anyone start their babies on solids yet? I've an extremely hungry baby who is on formula hungier baby and is taking 7oz's, I think the time is right I should start introducing her to solids (obviously liquidise) , thanks in advance x

Re: Baby food

• Options
    If she can't sit up, pushes stuff out with her tongue, and is under 4 months, research says the time is not right. Solids generally have fewer calories per ounce than formula or breastmilk, so if baby is still hungry, they need more formula/breastmilk, not solids.
    Agreed!  OP- it is not safe for babies to start solids so early.  Talk to your pediatrician but I agree with PP that she needs more milk/formula and not solid/liquid food.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    4 months is the absolute youngest our pediatrician will okay solids and even then that is only rice cereal. I wouldn't give a baby younger than that any type of solids. Up the oz on your formula or breastmilk and feedings like previous posters have said
  • Options
    Do you mind if I ask how much she weighs? Does she spit up a lot? My LO is drinking 5oz every 3 and half hour but it's not enough for anymore. She cries for about 10 minutes after feedings because she is still hungry. I'm just afraid if I up the oz she'll spit up more. I don't wanna give her a belly ache.
  • Options
    soxgurl said:

Do you mind if I ask how much she weighs? Does she spit up a lot? My LO is drinking 5oz every 3 and half hour but it's not enough for anymore. She cries for about 10 minutes after feedings because she is still hungry. I'm just afraid if I up the oz she'll spit up more. I don't wanna give her a belly ache.

Are you sure she's hungry and not having reflux issues? If I remember correctly sucking and eating calm the reflux , once she's done eating the reflux will begin especially if she's really full and that could be the reason for her crying
  • Options

hi has anyone start their babies on solids yet? I've an extremely hungry baby who is on formula hungier baby and is taking 7oz's, I think the time is right I should start introducing her to solids (obviously liquidise) , thanks in advance x

Talk to your pediatrician but I would never personally even consider solids so young! With my first she wasn't ready for solids until she was over 8 months and she even didn't eat many solids for a couple months after that, she just didn't want them and she was gaining weight really well on breast milk and goats milk so we weren't going to push it at all. There can be negative sides to starting solids so young!
  • Options
    adelems said:

soxgurl said:

Are you sure she's hungry and not having reflux issues? If I remember correctly sucking and eating calm the reflux , once she's done eating the reflux will begin especially if she's really full and that could be the reason for her crying
    I was thinking it might be reflux. On Monday i started giving her 6oz every 4 hours instead of 5oz and it's worked out great! She doesn't cry at all when she's finished eating and she's not spitting up more than usual so I think it's fine on her belly!
  • Options
    Well the last time she got weighted she was 12 pounds , she's drinking 7oz ATM & she sometimes gets her bottle back up but its reflux so I've gotten her galivson to put into each bottle it works wonders. You should give it a try , it's the infant one, nothing more stressful than your baby getting there bottle back up !
  • Options
    My son is 12 weeks and has been having rice cereal since 6 weeks and fruits and veggies since 8 weeks. I listened to wait my 90 year old grandma had to say about feeding solids. Baby loves it! & the doc says that what ever i'm doing to keep doing because he's strong and healthy!
  • Options
    My pediatrician said my 14 week old could start on food. He isn't crawling and can't sit up by himself yet. He was a 3 month early preemie and I wasn't sure when I could try it but she said go ahead and start giving him it. I haven't started yet. I'm too afraid he'll choke because he can't sit up on his own. I trust his doctor but I'm not comfortable with doing it yet. I'd listen to your pediatrician but even if they give the go ahead be sure you're comfortable doing it.