July 2015 Moms

CYTOTEC EXPERIENCES

so, I am being induced if I go past 40 weeks due to AMA. I was told today that the methods of induction they use are Cytotec and the Foley bulb, usually both. I did research on Cytotec and am think about refusing it. I don't want to switch hospitals at this late date. Anyone have any experiences with it?

Re: CYTOTEC EXPERIENCES

• I don't have experience with it but have heard terrible things about it. Things like it causing uterine ruptures. Scarey! It is on my birth plan that they do not use Cytotec or any generic version thereof to induce labor. I'd refuse it! You have a right!
  • You can certainly refuse it if you're not comfortable with it. There are other medications they should be able to use along with a foley bulb. I've seen low-dose Pitocin and cervidil used (RN in L&D). Ask your doc about those. You shouldn't have to switch hospitals necessarily, your doctor is the one giving orders to them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the cytotec pills for induction with my son and then suppositories after. Ended up with a C section. I started reading horror stories while taking it. Trust your doctor-and step away from Google is my advice. I didn't need to read that stuff with preeclampsia and stressed out. I decided to trust ny doctor. :) A safe and healthy baby and delivety were my goal then and is now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used it and only needed one application. His heart rate dropped several times (not sure if it was due to the meds). I dilated a cm an hour to 8 cm, stalled and started pitocin. He never dropped, so when I got to 10cm, I had to push him down. Due to a scary heart rate drop, he was vacuum extracted. He was out 16 hours later and beautiful and perfect.
    TTC since October 22, 2012
    BFP January 11, 2013
    Kellan James Patrick was born September 28, 2013
  • I had cytotec last year with MC and it did give you a lot of cramping.  I would say trust your doctor.  It sucked having to go through the cramping, but the pills never hurt when they put it by the cervix.