January 2016 Moms

UTI at 9 weeks

Has anyone had a uti this early in pregnancy? The doctor seemed really concerned and told me the procription would be ready in an hour and that i needed to start it then! She really freaked me out! Can it harm the baby? Already had a mmc this year so im worried!

Re: UTI at 9 weeks

• Prescription* sorry auto correct messed it up
  • CandKSCandKS member
    Your OB wouldn't give you a prescription for something she didn't deem safe for you or your baby. UTI's are extremely common in pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had one with my first very early just took my antibiotics and it cleared right up. Only one I've ever had actually.
  • I'm on my 2nd this pregnancy. I'm only 9w5d. Take the macrobid, eat yogurt and you will be fine.
    Married the love of my life: 11/12/2009
    1st BFP ever : 11/19/2014
    1/9/2015 our miracle baby was welcomed in heaven.
    BFP #2 : 4/21/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Take your medicine! Take your medicine! Take your medicine!

Urinary tract infections increase miscarriage risk

In a survey of 100 interstitial cystitis patients, the incidence of first time and habitual miscarriage was extremely high.
    https://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/88/11/5580-a
  • I had a UTI early in my first pregnancy. If I remember correctly I was prescribed an antibiotic, took it, the infection cleared up and all was well. It never seemed alarming, more just "hey, you have a UTI."

These ladies are right, your doctor is not going to prescribe you anything questionable. And if they do, it is because your need for whatever medicine outweighs the risk of birth defect, but that would be discussed. And is irrelevant in this situation.
  • bkc92bkc92 member
    I had one with my first pregnancy, and didn't find out about it until I went in at 8 weeks for an ultrasound (I'm pretty sure I had it before but had chalked the symptoms up to pregnancy before the doctor did the urine test).

I also had one with this pregnancy about 6 weeks, but knew the symptoms and got checked & got antibiotics right away. 

My doctors were never too concerned, just gave me a med that was safe for pregnancy, said to take it, and it'd be fine. They say that UTI's are really common during pregnancy. I agree because I've had one with each of mine so far, and then had one after giving birth as well. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers