November 2015 Moms

Struggling with the Snoogle. Tips? Tricks?

I got a Snoogle last week in an effort to start encouraging myself to sleep on my side (I'm normally a back sleeper...sometimes stomach)...but after 4 nights with it I've really be struggling. I toss and turn all night, get too hot under the covers with it, and wake up with an achy upper/middle back and neck. The only part that feels good is having something between my knees. I know the Snoogle doesn't work for everyone, but I'm not ready to give up quite yet after shelling out the cash for it. Do any of you have tips, tricks or suggestions for sleeping comfortably with the Snoogle? What has worked for you?

Re: Struggling with the Snoogle. Tips? Tricks?

• edited June 2015
    Haha I hate mine too. I'm still wedging a small pillow between my legs and getting low back pain. I think keeping it for later on might be a good idea, though, since I've never been big and have no clue what to expect.

I did have a little luck one night when I popped the top part in the air (husband calls it question mark sleeping) so I can use my regulars pillows at my head and the snoogle at my back. I'll be here with you waiting for feasible suggestions.
  • I use mine sort of u-shaped between my legs so that I can still use my regular head pillow. That way too when I roll over at night I'm still supported on my back and front, it's super cozy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Agreed! I tried using it as my pillow, and my neck has been so sore, but having something between my knees is helpful. I also like the thing against my back rather than my front, which maybe will change as the belly gets bigger. I'm going to "u" it tonight as the PP mentioned to see if that helps. It makes me hot too!

On a positive note, my dogs think I just went out and bought them the best dog bed ever, and seem to be very grateful for it.

We're having twins

Our angel baby boy is looking over his twin sister - due November 21

• I've been using mine for my back. It helps me to wedge it under my back so i sleep slightly tilted. That being said last night I was so uncomfortable nothing would have helped! Makes Monday that much harder :(
  • I love my snoogle, I've used it through two other pregnancies. I don't used mine until about 20 weeks when I get a little bigger. I also use a flatter pillow under the top and my head. I've found that a microfiber cover makes it not so hot when sleeping in it (of course I'm still sleeping under two blankets and a sheet and we are in Mississippi where it was 96 yesterday). Hope this helps :)
  • Ugh. I don't have anything helpful to add, but I too, ordered the snoogle to start encouraging the side sleeping. I have been so lucky with my pregnancy, but I cannot find a comfortable way to sleep. I also have an extraordinarily difficult time switching from side to side and the snoogle definitely does not help. My dr is fine with me sleeping on my back as long as I'm not flat on my back, so lately I have tried to sleep leaning against it instead of just flat on the mattress...it helps a little, but not sure how well it well go once the belly gets bigger.
  • I had one with my last pregnancy and will probably get one again...eventually. The only reason I didn't keep it is because I brought it to the hospital with me and my water broke all over it!  :))

I don't remember how far along I was when I got it but at first it was great and comfortable and then suddenly it was awful and I'd wake up with lots of pain, stiff neck, etc. It wasn't until the last month or so that I suddenly loved it again and was only in pain if I didn't use it. I wouldn't chunk it just yet but maybe put it away for a bit. Try again later!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• I loved a regular inexpensive body pillow with my first.  No snoogle help, but if you haven't already gotten one or could return yours maybe try that as a first step.  I used my body pillow later as a part of the little baby fort I'd sometimes make on the bed so I could go potty if baby fell asleep next to me. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • I turned it upside down so that the curlier part is between my knees (so I can rest my feet up on it, too) and the smaller curve is for my head. I find that part softer than the curly part for some reason.

My beagle is mad at my snoogle because I like to use it along my front and he really wants to sleep next to my belly under the covers since I've been pregnant. He even tried once to wedge himself between the pillow and my belly! It's not as comfortable along my back, but he's so cute and looks so sad when there's no space for him that it's hard to say no.
  • For those looking for something to put between the legs but not your head, they do make a snoogle mini that may work better for you and I believe it's less than $30.
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't been a fan of the infamous Snoogle either, especially for the price tag... the best use I got out of it so far was literally cracking up to the point of crying trying to watch my DH try to put the cover I bought for it on. He was struggling so bad and I don't know why but it was hilarious to me!

=))
  • I put the snoogle between dh and I last time so that the snoogle was at my back and between my knees. I loved it and will start again. If it doesn't work for you, I would try to return it.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Like many others I use my snoogle for back support. I've found when I don't sleep with it that way my back is aching.
  • Thanks all. I've put the Snoogle aside this week as I have a wretched cold and my #1 priority is just getting some damn sleep! Maybe but I think once I've over this cold I'll try the Snoogle again using some of your suggestions!
  • I detached mine and I use the long piece that goes between the legs up under my stomach and between my knees. I use the other part under my head because I like how soft it is. Later in pregnancy I usually end up sleeping almost upright because I have such hardcore heartburn.