July 2015 Moms

Cervix Check

I had my first cervix check today, baby is head down which is great news. However I'm not going to lie, I was a little traumatized. While she was checking it with her fingers she started poking his head. She was like oh, do you feel that I'm poking his head. And I was a little shocked and a little mortified. Now thinking about it, it's pretty funny. But I did not realize his head could be fingers reach away from touching. Now my husband is saying no more sex. Isn't sex supposed to be game on at this point in time!? I know he couldn't hurt the baby but I can see his point. Has this happened to anyone?

Re: Cervix Check

• Lol me. I should've never took my husband with me as well lol ... Because once doctor said she can feel the head my husband was like "well, no more sex" :( I'm sad and trying to convince him that he won't hurt the baby but so far it ain't working...
  • Oh my gosh! Haha I have my first cervix check next week Wednesday and now I am wondering if my doctor will be able to do that. That is crazy! :D
  • Loading the player...
  • Hahah!
    I actually just read that when your cervix is dilated about an inch or two you can put a finger in and feel your babies head. That's insane.
  • Haha oh no! These cracked me up. I can already imagine my husbands response. When do cervix checks usually start? Is it week 36?
  • Haha oh no! These cracked me up. I can already imagine my husbands response. When do cervix checks usually start? Is it week 36?
    Depends on your Dr some don't do them at all. I will be declining if offered to me.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Haha!! I hadn't even thought about this yet!! I'm only dilated to 1cm but that's just about enough for a finger, my dr said! I won't pass that along to dh, and hopefully he doesn't realize it!

My cervix check started at 35wks

Married 08-13-2011
    TTC 06-01-2014
    BFP 10-24-2014
    EDD 07-04-2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Be honest, how painful are these checks? I am 35 weeks and my doc said she would start them at 37 weeks....I've heard they are painful :(
  • Lol!!! Well like a good wife I told him, yeah you're right your junk is way bigger than the fingers. To be honest I have no clue but women have sex up until they deliver with no issues! Sperm is supposed to help naturally induce labor anyway!!! I'll try and work on him some more. Checks at my doctor usually start at 36 weeks, however I'm 35 and was checked because she swabbed for strep B so I already had my pants off and also I've been cramping for almost two weeks. Was not painful for me! A bit uncomfortable especially while poking his head, asking me if I felt it!!! I was like what, stop poking his head (in my head of course) lol. She didn't even say if I was dilated, she only said my cervix was still inward facing.
  • They're not painful, it's similar to when you get a pelvic exam and they stick a finger or two in you just to feel if you are displayed at all or not. It's not painful but it's uncomfortable and it only takes a couple seconds.
  • I don't think they hurt at all. No more uncomfortable than a routine exam.
  • It hurts! My cervix/uterus tips back though...
  • Maybe it just depends on the person :) and the doctor but usually for me personally they are just like a routine exam.
  • Be honest, how painful are these checks? I am 35 weeks and my doc said she would start them at 37 weeks....I've heard they are painful :(
    If you are worried about it then decline.  My provider does not do them routinely, so I wasn't checked until I arrived at the hospital in active labor.  Both babies came even without the checks, in most cases they are pointless anyway!

But to answer your question, it wasn't painful while I was in labor, not sure if it would have been under other circumstances.
  • It depends on the person and the location of your cervix. Also, the more dilated you are, the easier it tends to be. I had spotting at 28 weeks and they checked my cervix in L&D and that definitely hurt. Ordinarily you wouldn't be checked that early though. As others have said they start around 35-36 weeks, depending on the doc.
  • I had mine checked at 35 weeks because I have been feeling so much pressure. She said he has dropped but still able to move his head up which means he hasn't engaged in my pelvis yet. I also wasn't dilated at all.
  • I had my checked at 32 weeks in L&D due to a high blood pressure issue.  It definitely hurt!  I literally slide up the bed on my back the further she went in!  (Sorry for the TMI!)  I was not dilated at all and I was only 32 weeks, so perhaps that was why it was so painful and uncomfortable?  
  • What?? Lmao! I was always told that the babies head was so far away.. I never had sex during pregnancy... Weirds me out anyways. But def since you can feel there head right there.. I would be freaked out to.. "Um, hello... Quit poking my child's head thanks!"
  • babylo1 said:

I had my checked at 32 weeks in L&D due to a high blood pressure issue.  It definitely hurt!  I literally slide up the bed on my back the further she went in!  (Sorry for the TMI!)  I was not dilated at all and I was only 32 weeks, so perhaps that was why it was so painful and uncomfortable?  

Sadly, no.. The further along you get, the more painful it is :( I was in tears with my first because I didn't expect it to hurt. I believe it's because of all the nerves and blood flow.. Not sure.
  • I was checked at 36 weeks, didn't like it and declined after that. At 39 weeks she really wanted to check again, I said fine. She told me nothing was going on, it would like be 10 to 12 days. Had my daughter 12 hours later. For me I think they don't really mean anything anyway.
  • LAO12LAO12 member
    I have had two checks and they both hurt ALOT! And I also bleed for the rest of the day. I am also 80% effaced and 1cm so that could be why
    *** Siggy warning ***

DH: 31 normal
    Me: 31 tubal disease
    Married 2011
    TTC 2012
    Clomid x 2 with OBGYN: BFN
    IF testing 2013: blocked left tube, low AMH
    March 2014: Ectopic rupture, emergency surgery and D&C.  Absent left tube and now closed right tube
    October 2014: IVF with ICSI #1 - BFP (17r/14icsi/12f - 2ET 10/27; 7 frosties; Nov7 beta #1= 806; Nov10 beta #2= 2738; TWINS!!!!!  EDD late June/early July 2015)

• I had a cervix check and it didn't hurt at all. She told me when the cervix starts to ripen it moves from a back position to a mid position and finally a front position. I was in mid position and 50% effaced but no dilation. It didn't hurt at all but I have been bleeding a bit ever since. I'm 36 weeks.
  • My cervix is tucked behind the babies head so when they checked me today it was very painful since she had to "dig" behind her head. She said I was 2 cm and thinned out. I think it just depends on the position and is different for everyone
  • I was checked yesterday at 36weeks and it was not painful at all and I have not experienced any bleeding since. So I definitely agree with pp, it really depends on each person and maybe the Dr...
  • Im 36 weeks now but My doctor doesnt do checks until 38 weeks?