July 2015 Moms
Options

So many baby monitors!!! How do did you guys pick one? Need help!

there are so many baby monitors out there. How did you ladies pick one? Which do you recommend? Is sound or video better? I'm not having a baby shower so it's up to the husband and I to buy everything. Don't want to splurge on a baby monitor but I want something that serves its purpose well.

Re: So many baby monitors!!! How do did you guys pick one? Need help!

• Options
    Maybe pick a price point and then search by top rated on Buy Buy Baby or Babies R Us website. I basically did that. Got the highest rated video monitor with the most comments but it wasn't the most expensive. I haven't tested mine yet so no helpful feedback for you.
  • Options
    We have the vtech sound and video monitor, paid $80 for ait and had a good chuckle testing it out when the cat was on our bed. This one you can talk to your baby through and we laughed for ages as our cat tried to find out what on earth iwas calling her name. Eventually she gave up and ran out to us. It also plays lullabies and you can have it on sound only. Highly recommended :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    None of the ones we looked at on the Babies R Us website checked out so we moved on from there...went to Target-Nothing, then Amazon which is where we ended up finding a good one. We just read all reviews and customer ratings
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I read reviews and looked at distance they range. Our baby is sleeping in a crib sidecarred to our bed so I wanted ones that would reach from my house to the garden. I won't need them for night time. I figured if the babe is sleeping in the pack n play in the living room for a nap I can bring the monitor to the garden with me. The idea of video monitors was really unappealing to me. We ended up with the Vtech ones from Target that were like $40.
  • Options
    Definitely following this because I still need to buy one.

BabyFetus Ticker'
    Aliviah Pearl Lee - Born 10/11/13
    Baby Girl #2 due July 2!
  • Options
    crf4crf4 member
    Depending on how big your house is you may or may not need one. Lots of moms swear by the video ones, my kids always let me know loud & clear when they were up! I always used the cheap ones just so I could place it by the screen door if we're playing outside while babe sleeps.
  • Options
    We got the same brand that all our family members have (angel).

Really we don't need one as we will never be far from the babies room (ranch style house). For this reason didn't get a fancy video. Also as I think we'd just sit watching the screen and never relax!

We did want a 2 way though, on the recommendation of a friend for when they are older to comfort them/tell them off(!) through that rather than go to their room.

The angel comes with a movement pad which goes under the mattress. If no movement is detected for 20 seconds it sets off an alarm - helping prevent SIDS which is a worry of mine.
  • Options
    We just have the basic safety first one. I have the older model. Looks like it was just discontinued, but I snagged an additional pack so I can have an extra receiver on clearance (we moved recently from a little apartment to a house with 3 floors!)

All I need is audio for naps during the day at first as baby is room sharing. I just need to hear baby, in the beginning I'm sure I'll check on him a lot (probably would go to see him physically even if I had a video monitor lol)

The safety first monitor gets a bad rap. It's cheap and does the job.. I haven't had any issues with it. I've read reviews about a buzzing sound that happens if you have something else plugged in the same outlet but I've not had that problem.

Wal-Mart has the old model on clearance, I got one that includes the safety first accessories (brush, combs, thermometer etc.) for $22.

the New model has a night light on it, BRU has it for $24.
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We got a Motorola one from Babies R Us. Paid $100 and it does sound and video. It has 2 cameras and one display. This was perfect for us because we also have a 2 year old so we put a camera in each bedroom but you could also put the other one in another location and not have to worry about moving the camera around. It has a setting where you can have it fixed just on one camera or have it flip back and forth between the two. It also let's you talk to your baby. We've been using it for our 2 year old since January and are quite happy with it. It automatically switches between day and night based on the lighting in the room. We've been impressed at how well you can see even in the middle of the night.

FYI, it's not WiFi but we didn't want that with all of the security concerns. I know people say that you just need to change the default password but there was a special on dateline or 20/20 showing that if it has WiFi, it can be hacked, just like any other network. I didn't want to take any chances. The display works fine for us, it can be plugged in or runs on a rechargeable battery
  • Options
    Anyone have experience with the angelcare video, sound, and movement sensor monitor? My sister purchased the summer infant wide view digital color monitor... But I'm contemplating exchanging for the angelcare or just purchasing the angelcare movement sensor in addition to. Thoughts? Advice?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    I just picked the one with the highest reviews and kept it simple. No video monitor for me just a basic one with a decent range and it has 2-way capability so that I can speak to the baby. I depend a lot on reviews to help make a purchase. Just determine what kind you want, video etc then narrow by price range and reviews.
  • Options
    mrsrep123 said:

Anyone have experience with the angelcare video, sound, and movement sensor monitor? My sister purchased the summer infant wide view digital color monitor... But I'm contemplating exchanging for the angelcare or just purchasing the angelcare movement sensor in addition to. Thoughts? Advice?

We originally registered for one of these but then I recently changed to to just an audio and video monitor by Levana. The Keera I believe. We are still thinking about purchasing a Snuza as a movement monitor, and I'm still having second thoughts on changing from the angel care. We had asked some friends and nurses about it and they all seemed to think it was overkill. I'm still not sure though. The reviews on it are pretty good. If no one purchases the one on our registry I may reevaluate again before purchasing. I would love to hear others thoughts on it as well.
  • Options
    This was probably one of the more overwhelming purchases for me.
    Everything else I have a basic idea on how they should work and what works best. Not monitors though.
    There are too many options and it's very stressful haha
  • Options
    With DD, we chose a monitor based on a book called Baby Bargains. We ended up buying the Summer Infant Best View Monitor (https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Digital-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B007WF2PGS), which I think is discontinued now, but they have comparable options still available. The video portion was invaluable, because as DD got older, we could tell whether or not she was in danger or needed us without having to go in the room. Once you go in the room and they see you, all bets are off! The thing I liked most about it was that it is cordless (rechargeable) and you can move the camera remotely, so if baby is laying on the far side of the crib, you can pan over remotely. It also has night-vision. I did have an issue with the cord at one point and called Summer Infant. They sent us an extra cord at no cost.

I think which monitor you get is a matter of personal preference. Good luck!
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I definitely want some sort of movement monitor like the angel care. But I'm contemplating on whether or not to buy the cheaper one that has no camera and get a nicer camera one in addition. OR just go with the angel care that does movement, sound and video. Just not sure of the video quality on the angel care. There is also a clip that you can get to attach to babies diaper that can sense movement, so debating on getting that and a nicer video monitor instead of an angel care at all. Does anyone have the snuza?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm curious for reviews on the Snuza too. I don't understand it exactly, it seems like attached to them it would be quite uncomfortable. It must be super tiny.
  • Options
    xhochixx said:

I definitely want some sort of movement monitor like the angel care. But I'm contemplating on whether or not to buy the cheaper one that has no camera and get a nicer camera one in addition. OR just go with the angel care that does movement, sound and video. Just not sure of the video quality on the angel care. There is also a clip that you can get to attach to babies diaper that can sense movement, so debating on getting that and a nicer video monitor instead of an angel care at all. Does anyone have the snuza?

@xhochixx since my sister got me a video and sound monitor, I'm thinking of just getting the movement sensor in addition to... Haven't heard of the snuza... Can't wait to see others' experience

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    I got the snuza. Obviously haven't used it yet on baby but I did test it out on myself. It doesn't seem like it's uncomfortable at all and it worked. I like that it'll vibrate after 15 sec of no movement and alert us with an alarm in 5 more sec if baby isn't stimulated from the vibration. I have that plus a basic vtech sound monitor for $30 to hear if baby is up or if the alarm sounds.
  • Options
    We went with Infant Optics video monitor from Amazon. Great reviews on their site as well as in the market. $100. Works great.
  • Options
    Honestly, this is one of the items that I spent the least amount of money on. I got one for like $7 at goodwill. Worked just fine, I don't really see the point in spending $100+ on a video monitor. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    We are still debating but whatever we get it will be wifi so DH can check in while he is living overseas until we move there in March.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15