July 2015 Moms

Baby Shower Aggravation

I am not sure if I am just being an ungrateful, hormonal woman but here's what has got me fuming tonight. My mother is having my shower for me and I told her repeatedly where I was registered. Well I noticed we hadn't gotten a single thing off of our registry and it is this Sunday. I asked her and she said she forgot to put where I was registered at on the invites. I spent hours on that darn registry. Am I overreacting being upset?

Re: Baby Shower Aggravation

• Bugs1718Bugs1718 member
    edited June 2015
    I've read in other places that a lot of people don't put registry info on the invites. There's really only a handful of baby stores so if someone wants to find your registry, it wouldn't be hard. Some people prefer to shop off registries and some don't. Also, most people dont buy shower gifts until the day before or day of so I wouldn't judge anything just yet.

And don't be mad at your mom, I'm sure it was just an honest mistake and I'm sure she has a lot on her mind with planning your shower. It'll all work out.
  • That sucks! To be honest though, i put where we were registered at on our invitation and no one used it haha I like to think of the registry more as a guideline or list to help you keep track what you need and want. After the shower we looked at our list and deleted the things that we got like burp cloths and things similar to what we needed and then the things we didn't get, we just bought off of our registry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yea, don't sweat it. Any gifts are thoughtful and generous, including the gift of a baby shower. At least you get the discount on the items after (well most places do that).

Have a nice time at the shower.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just had my baby shower this past weekend and I didn't get anything off my registery. I did get a bunch of diapers and wipes so that's a bonus and a whole lot of cloths and towels. I'll use my registery to make sure I get everything else we need.
  • I didn't get very much off my registries, as others have said. But if you end up with a lot of the same things most stores are great about returns, and then you can use the credit towards things on the registry. Plus you should get some sort of completion discount coupon to use as well.
  • I would be annoyed too. For a shower of any kind, wedding or baby, it is very typical and expected to include a registry. I'm sure your guest would have appreciated if it was included. Maybe people have heard where you are registered through word of mouth? Hopefully. It is very nice your mom is planning your shower so try not to be too upset with her forgetting. Have a good shower!!
  • Be grateful that your mom is going through the trouble of planning a shower for you. Be grateful for any gifts that you receive. Neither of the these things is a "given". Personally, I think registry info on an invitation is tacky. I realize that it's considered okay etiquette and to each their own, but like PP have mentioned--it's quite easy to find out where someone is registered via other means.
  • My babyshower is this sat, and I have seen on my registry that's there's only 1 purchase lol
  • It is tacky to include a registry on a typical invitation (such as a wedding, birthday party invite) unless it is a shower invite sent from a person other than you aka the host. Shower invites are the only invites that the registry can and should be included (according to etiquette expert Peggy Post) :)
  • Unless you're registered somewhere extremely obscure, if people really wanted to get you something off a registry they would have found it, or just asked. Many people don't bother looking at registries even if the info is included. Like PPs said, a lot of people don't even put registry info in invitations because at one point it was considered poor etiquette. Not a big deal.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If it makes you feel better, the ladies who threw my shower forgot to put my name on the invites. So it could be worse!
  • I understand the frustration, but try to focus on the positives as there is nothing that can be done about it now. Your mom is throwing you a shower and I'm sure you will get plenty of nice things! Things you don't want you can most likely return and then hopefully you will get a completion discount at the end.

I've also heard that a lot of folks don't buy off the registry for baby showers as they prefer to buy cute toys and clothes, so you may not be missing much anyway. My shower is next week but I try not to check the registry so I'm not really sure what has been bought if anything. I know our immediate family purchased a couple of the larger items off of our registry but in not sure what else so we are prepared and have budgeted to make whatever other necessary purchases there are.
  • Also, in my experience the vast majority of people don't buy their shower gifts until maybe a day or two before the event. Or even the day of. My shower was on a Sunday and nothing was bought off my registry until the Thursday before, and that was just two items.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ashleytiffashleytiff member
    edited June 2015
    My mom and my sister were the only people that actually bought from the registry.

Everyone else just bought what they wanted.
    I had 4 of the same bath gift baskets to return.