Live Chat Today With Laurel + Wolf HERE! — The Bump
Nurseries and Baby Gear

Live Chat Today With Laurel + Wolf HERE!

bumptarabumptara
Moderator 500 Love Its 500 Comments Second Anniversary
admin
edited June 2015 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
Hi Bumpies!

Today, Kimberly Valente from Laurel + Wolf will be in THIS thread from 12-1 pm EDT. Her username is @KimAtLaurelAndWolf.

Kimberly will be on hand to discuss all things related to design, like how to get the most mileage out of your crib, which materials are best in a nursery, and the best places to buy nursery furniture on a budget! She'll explain how to recreate her vignettes in your own home, and you’ll also have a chance to “shop the look”.

BumpTara or BumpCaitlin will be on hand to help with any tech issues during the chat. Just page or PM one of the them and they’ll be able to help you!

See you at 12pm EDT!

Re: Live Chat Today With Laurel + Wolf HERE!

• Hi everyone! Welcome to the live chat with @KimAtLaurelandWolf!

Feel free to ask any questions about nursery decorating. Kim will also be sharing tips on budget-friendly nursery furniture and more!

@BumpCaitlin and I are on hand to help if you have any tech questions :)
  • Thanks for doing this!  

I'm planning to do a neutral nursery, even though we know we are having a girl.  I'm thinking of light gray walls, a gray-washed crib, and mostly white/shades of white everywhere else.  
    What are your thoughts on this?  Are colors necessary?
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Hi Kim!  Have you ever worked with either the Stokke crib or the caravan crib and if so how did they work out?  Thanks!
  • Thanks for having me, I'm so excited to answer your questions today. Nurseries and kids rooms are some of my favorite rooms to design!
    bumptara
  • My nursery idea is a bit vague but very specific in my mind. We're centering the theme around this print from the book Sleep Like a Tiger. I had the vision of a little prince in a sort of dreamy, fantasy world, dreaming of other little princes in other lands. We're thinking of making a little gold paper crown and hanging pieces of ribbon from it for the mobile, and making a fabric bunting banner out of like slate and dusty blue shades + gold perhaps. So I want it to be quite cozy but still light and airy with a few exotic almost British colonial touches (like a jasmine tea tin used as a succulent planter). I'm sort of lost with what else to do for the walls and over the changing station.. I want something for our little guy to look at! And what color would you paint the walls? Our nursery is not huge by any means.

url.jpg 11.8K

JenLovesDesign
  • hlb8179 said:
    Thanks for doing this!  

I'm planning to do a neutral nursery, even though we know we are having a girl.  I'm thinking of light gray walls, a gray-washed crib, and mostly white/shades of white everywhere else.  
    What are your thoughts on this?  Are colors necessary?
    I love that idea! It will look fresh and classic, plus it can grow with baby. You absolutely don't NEED color but if you want to play with color a little bit you can bring it in with accessories like an area rug, crib sheets and art work. Here is an example of a beautiful grey and white nursery. 
  • I've got this idea now, I'm trying to implement it very simply... We liked nautical, and some woods/african animals, so we thought Noah's Arc.
    But I still would like it to be very neutral greys, whites, creams, yellows, greens, slight blues? (We are having a boy, just not into everything blue)
    The paint is the hardest decision!
    Thanks for any help!
  • Hi Kim!  Have you ever worked with either the Stokke crib or the caravan crib and if so how did they work out?  Thanks!

I have specified Stokke before and my client loved it because it could grow with her little one which makes it a great investment piece.
  • melewen said:
    My nursery idea is a bit vague but very specific in my mind. We're centering the theme around this print from the book Sleep Like a Tiger. I had the vision of a little prince in a sort of dreamy, fantasy world, dreaming of other little princes in other lands. We're thinking of making a little gold paper crown and hanging pieces of ribbon from it for the mobile, and making a fabric bunting banner out of like slate and dusty blue shades + gold perhaps. So I want it to be quite cozy but still light and airy with a few exotic almost British colonial touches (like a jasmine tea tin used as a succulent planter). I'm sort of lost with what else to do for the walls and over the changing station.. I want something for our little guy to look at! And what color would you paint the walls? Our nursery is not huge by any means.

That sounds so fun and love the DIY aspect! You could do the alphabet above the changing station, I've attached a picture of the concept. It's a great DIY project, you can purchase unfinished letters and cover them with scrapbook paper that works with your color scheme/theme - golds and blues with subtle patterns that could tie the prince and British colonial ideas together. I love Valspar's Aqua Glow for the walls - its a nice blue that feels bright during the day and cozy at night. 

melewen
  • That's gorgeous!  Thank you.  Do you know where the animal prints are from?
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • atrnkus said:
    I've got this idea now, I'm trying to implement it very simply... We liked nautical, and some woods/african animals, so we thought Noah's Arc. But I still would like it to be very neutral greys, whites, creams, yellows, greens, slight blues? (We are having a boy, just not into everything blue) The paint is the hardest decision! Thanks for any help!
    Awesome theme! It sounds like you'll have a lot going on in the room. I'd recommend a warm neutral for the walls and then you can bring color in with the animals. I love Benjamin Moore HC-81 Manchester Tan. If you want to add color to the wall painting a stripe is a nice way to bring in some color without overpowering the room. 
  • Hi @KimAtLaurelAndWolf!

A member who couldn't make the chat today wants to know:
    "Can you plz give an idea for decorating baby crib area in the same room with parents and a toddler bed"
  • hlb8179 said:
    That's gorgeous!  Thank you.  Do you know where the animal prints are from?

Here is a link to the prints: http://www.theanimalprintshop.com/. Love these because they are cute without being "cutesy" :)
  • Hi @KimAtLaurelAndWolf!

A member who couldn't make the chat today wants to know:
    "Can you plz give an idea for decorating baby crib area in the same room with parents and a toddler bed"
    That's a great question! I would recommend hanging a mobile above the crib to give the crib a sense of place in the room. It's important to pick something that doesn't look too cartoonish so that it will work with the rest of the room. Etsy has some great options. Something like this would be a great fit in a room shared by both adults and kiddos: http://etsy.me/1HKRQy4
    bumptara
  • Hi @KimAtLaurelAndWolf

We constantly receive questions about how to decorate a nursery on a budget. What are your top tips for making the room amazing without overspending?
  • @KimAtLaurelAndWolf We love the idea of a convertible bed that can grow with our baby. Where are some good places to look for one that's sturdy and will last but is somewhat affordable as well? Or even just brands you recommend would be good to know too!
  • RanBoRanBo
    Photogenic First Comment
    I am having a very hard time finding the perfect shade of green for the nursery walls. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you so much~
  • Thanks @KimAtLaurelAndWolf !!

I like that tan color you suggested...
    If we have a chair rail and want to do a different color on top and bottom, what would you choose to go with itit?
  • BumpTara said:
    Hi @KimAtLaurelAndWolf

We constantly receive questions about how to decorate a nursery on a budget. What are your top tips for making the room amazing without overspending?
    If you are willing to tackle some projects on your own you'll be able to save lots of money by re-purposing furniture. Look on Craigslist, thrift shops or yard sales for a dresser that you like the lines of, then strip it and repaint it to match baby's room. The dresser can also double as the changing table, just attach a changing pad to the top and then the dresser can be used as the baby grows. 
    Don't feel as though you need to get everything from the "baby" store, some of those items can be overpriced. Of course things like the crib are specific to babies but the area rug, rocking chair and even art work can come from other stores that don't specialize in babies. 
    Check out Target and Ikea - they have some great cribs, super stylish and great safety ratings.
    Look online for "free nursery printables". There are some great options out there that you can print at home or at your local copy shop, then pop them in a frame and youv'e got super inexpensive but adorable artwork for the nursery.
    bumptara
  • @KimAtLaurelAndWolf We love the idea of a convertible bed that can grow with our baby. Where are some good places to look for one that's sturdy and will last but is somewhat affordable as well? Or even just brands you recommend would be good to know too!
    I love DaVinci and Babyletto. Both are sturdy and well priced.
    PreggoInTheCity
  • RanBo said:
    I am having a very hard time finding the perfect shade of green for the nursery walls. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you so much~
    Here are a few greens that I like, especially for nurseries. 
    Benjamin Moore - Sounds of Nature 
    Benjamin Moore - Celery Salt
    Ralph Lauren - Sage Sweater
    I always recommend painting a swatch on the wall and looking at it throughout the day to make sure that you like it under different lighting conditions. 
  • Thanks to everyone for joining us, and a huge thanks to @KimAtLaurelAndWolf for all of her great tips!

Have a great day :)

• atrnkus said:
    Thanks @KimAtLaurelAndWolf !! I like that tan color you suggested... If we have a chair rail and want to do a different color on top and bottom, what would you choose to go with it?

That tan color would look great paired with either Sherwin Williams - Jersey Cream or Glidden - Frosted Green Grape. I would recommend the tan on the bottom and the color on the top,
  • Thanks everyone! Best of luck with your nursery design and congratulations!!