May 2015 Moms

Worried about thrush!

My baby is 5 weeks old and she has some white on her tongue and a small bum rash that's been there for two days. I've been doctoring it but it's not going away. And my my nipples are pink and on my left side there's a slight stinging feeling while she eats. Could this be thrush? I read that all of these are symptoms but I am not sure if we have it or not. Are there any mommies out there who have dealt with it?

Re: Worried about thrush!

• Our newborn has thrush that she most likely got from me. I guess it's caused from yeast on our skin. The doctor prescribed some liquid medicine that she gets 4x a day and cream for her bum. I also got cream for my nipples. The thrush cleared up pretty fast, so it's definitely worth a trip to the docs!
  • kt1244kt1244 member
    I got it. It's not that bad once you go get the antibiotic. It almost immediately started clearing up.

It is caused by too much yeast production like the above person stated. Totally normal. You may even get it more than once

I've been super washing everything after each use, haha.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had the same symptoms but when we went to see the doctor she said that LO didn't have thrush and the white layer wad just milk on her tongue. She said to use a warm wet towel to wipe her tongue a couple times a day. And that the stinging or itching sensation could just be full breasts. So I stated pumping in between feedings and it relieved that completely. If I don't then my nipples get that itchy feeling again. I say go to the doctor and get checked out either way. No point in you and LO being uncomfortable.
  • You should go to your doctor ASAP as thrush can get pretty bad if you leave it too long. My friends baby got it and she didn't know babies could get thrush in their mouth and baby's tounge started to bleed
  • We thought that DD might have thrush because she had white on her tongue.  We took her to the pedi and she said that if it comes off easily then it's not thrush.  You could try a wet wash cloth and see if you can get it off.  DD did not have thrush and to this day (4.5 years old) her tongue still gets white when she drinks milk. 

For her bottom does the diaper cream seem to be helping or making it worse?  If it's helping then it's likely just a typical rash, if it's getting worse then it might be a yeast rash.  You could try some bare bottom time if you are able, that helps regardless of what's causing the rash.