November 2015 Moms

Heat and Sun

Might be a stupid question... Does spending too much time in the heat / sun have a negative impact on the baby? I am on vacation and not used to 100 degree temps. I am trying to drink tons of water and jump in the pool when I get hot, but should I be worried about too much sun / heat? I have had three first trimester losses so I tend to be overly paranoid. Am 16 weeks now.

Re: Heat and Sun

• kwaldykwaldy member
    Just make sure you're staying hydrated and drinking more than what you would originally, wearing and reapplying sunscreen, are in the shade when possible, and when you feel like you are too hot, maybe taking a break and going inside for a little bit. Just make sure you're listening to what your body tells you and you should be fine.
  • modanz1modanz1 member
    You certainly don't want to get overheated.  I believe it would be the same rule as the hot tub and heating pads, don't raise your body temp over 101 degrees.  Basically, I would use common sense...if you feel like your body is stressed from too much sun, get some shade or go indoors, etc. Beware of sunburns and sun poisoning as well. We are much more susceptible to both while pregnant.  Enjoy your vacation & don't worry too much! 
    YCSWU 

• Loading the player...
  • Just don't get overheated. I tend to run warmer when pregnant and get very hot fast.
    I also notice that even with sun screen I tan and burn faster so you'll want to re-apply sun screen or stay in the shade as much as possible.
    Lots of water and maybe a misting fan or one of those things you put in your neck to keep you cool could help too.

I would just listen to your body and get inside in the air when you can.