August 2015 Moms

travelling at 28 weeks

As long as my dr says im ok to travel, im hoping to take a little trip by car for our anniversary in a couple weeks. Has anyone here taken any trips while pregnant? Is it feasible? Is there anything i can do to make it a little easier?

Re: travelling at 28 weeks

• Miz_LizMiz_Liz member
    We are taking a mini vacation in 2 weeks. I will be almost 31 weeks. I plan to just make sure we make a few stops along the way so I can get out of the car and stretch my legs to avoid clots. That and I am going to drink plenty of water, which means I will need to make plenty of potty stops anyway!!
  • We go out of town about every other weekend during the summer; I know it seems like a lot but we live in a super small town so when we have the chance we like to just go take weekend trips! It's usually within five hours of driving, it can be tiring but I'm usually looking forward to it so it doesn't bother me too much. Take plenty of bathroom breaks and stretch:) also I like to take my small pillow so the seatbelt doesn't dig into my hip too much!
  • Loading the player...
  • You'll be fine. The extra walking was the only thing that really has worn me out during my recent travels.
  • I'm 28 weeks and on holiday a short flight away from home. It has been awesome! The worst part has been the heat which has taken it out of me (that, and my crazy toddler). Totally worth it if you have the chance!
  • I just traveled to the beach. It wasn't so bad. Believe it or not I was more worn out from sitting a lot then I would be running around all day.
  • malonc2malonc2 member
    We're taking a 6 hr trip by car in 4 weeks. I'll be 34 weeks. I'm a little nervous but my doctor says as long as we take bathroom breaks and I take care of myself I should be fine!
  • We just got back from a beach trip/babymoon at 30 weeks. 5 hr drive. It was great, but I don't have any swelling or anything to make be uncomfortable yet
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• samm330samm330 member
    I travel for work and have gotten on a plane every week for the past 11 weeks (I'm 30 weeks)! As long as the doctor says your blood pressure looks good, you drink a lot of water, and stretch or move around frequently, you should be just fine!! Swelling and back aches were/are a pain for me, so buy some compression socks for your feet/ankles and a rice pack to heat up for your back, they are life savers!!
  • I just got back from a 10 day trip to visit family and friends and I'm 30 weeks 4 days now. Each flight was 5 hours. I drank a ton of water, made sure my legs were stretched out and elevated and I got up every half hour to an hour to walk up and down the aisle. It was a little uncomfortable at times but I was fine!
  • At 28 weeks we are taking a 13 hour car trip. My doctor said I'm fine as long as we stop and I stay hydrated. My plan is to sleep through most of it to be honest. I'm not looking forward to it but my doc said its fine and its to see my step daughter :D. I also planned my next doctors appointment right before we go just to be sure.
  • With #2
    Went to Disney world 28 weeks
    One last vacation for our 5 yr old as an only child
  • I just traveled 8 hours at 29 weeks to the beach. We left super early to avoid a lot of potty breaks... It wasn't bad at all :)
  • We just got back from Disney World. I'm 27 weeks. Bathroom breaks and staying hydrated were my main concerns. It turned out being fine :).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just did 14 hours by myself at 26 weeks after getting green light from the doctor. What helped was stops every 2 hours and compression socks. 
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I flew across the country last month at 26 weeks and it was fine. Other than being more tired (which could also be a product of the time difference and two children in tow) I didn't feel or do anything differently.
  • dkizz82dkizz82 member

I just did 14 hours by myself at 26 weeks after getting green light from the doctor. What helped was stops every 2 hours and compression socks. 

Where do you buy compression socks?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dkizz82 I bought mine from amazon.com. I can't find the original pair I bought but they come in cute designs and don't even look like compression socks.

Just for reference.. here is an example of what you can get on amazon.com

DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Pregnancy Ticker

• dkizz82dkizz82 member

@dkizz82 I bought mine from amazon.com. I can't find the original pair I bought but they come in cute designs and don't even look like compression socks.

Just for reference.. here is an example of what you can get on amazon.com

Thank you! I am headed in a 4 hour trip back home but every time I go I end up so swollen. My feet are normal right now and I'd like to keep them that way. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! Ill definitely get some compression socks and load up on water. Im hoping to have a great time, it sounds like all of you did! :)
  • I went into labor two weeks ago at 26 weeks. The doctor has since restricted me from leaving town, eating chocolate and anything else that might be fun. I'm so jealous of everyone who is going to the beach! Enjoy! Maybe next summer I will get to go :-(
  • I am actually going to Hawaii next week (I'm 30 weeks now) and plan on getting up and moving a lot and drinking a lot of water. I also just went to Kentucky last week (4 hr flight) and had no problems.