April 2014 Moms

Potty Training

I know it's early but anyone thinking about this? Any methods that have worked for those with other LOs? When did you start/plan to start?

I just read this 3 day potty training thing which made me think about this!

For me.... To get ready for this I do take C into the bathroom with me now and I explain what is happening.

Re: Potty Training

• I did my own version of the 3 day thing with ds but not exactly what the book says. Basically we did 3 days at home where going potty was out main goal. Day 1, mostly naked and reminding him to sit on the potty (I used a training potty because he was just too short to easily climb on the toilet). Day 2 and 3 he used underwear. After a week I felt comfortable making short outings. We still used a diaper at night for a few months, but otherwise went cold turkey for getting rid of them. I tried when ds was just over 2 and it was clear from the failure on day one that he wasn't ready. I tried again at 2 1/2 and it clicked.

I'll watch for dd to be ready. I'm hoping around 2 - 2 1/2, but if it's earlier I won't complain. I'm hoping to get pregnant for the last time around when she turns two, and I'm not up for two kids in diapers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We did a version of the 3 day training as well - never read the book. At about 18 months we bought a potty and put it in DD's room. We just left it there and she could do what she pleased with it. Sitting on it when dressed, etc. after a little while we would ask her if she wanted to sit on the potty whenever we changed her diaper, we aimed to have her sit bare bum. They did this at daycare too, so we were reinforcing each other. We just did that for about 6 months. Sometimes she actually went to the bathroom on her potty.

Just after she turned two, our daycare told us they thought she was ready. So we bought another potty for downstairs, bought a tonne of underwear and starting hyping it up for the weekend. She picked out her underwear. We had a long weekend, so we just stayed home for three days. She wore underwear and pants that were easy to take off (leggings and yoga pants). The first day was exhausting and we cleaned up a lot of pee. The next day we learned and just put her on the potty every 30 mins. That helped a lot. On the Tuesday she went to daycare in underwear and I don't think she had an accident. We kept her in pull ups at night for about a year, but really didn't need to. DH pushed it, but honestly she didn't need it after about 3 months.

Some things that I've found interesting: 1) when we took away the diapers, she was shocked the first time she wet herself - I guess she never realized it would go down her legs and make a puddle! 2) while she trained easily and quickly, accidents continue to happen almost 1.5 years later. They are less and less frequent, buy still happen. 3) We had to remind her to go to the bathroom for a long time (well, still do to an extent). So while she gets the concept, she still forgets that she needs to go and for a good 6 months, we would try to get her on te potty every hour or so.

Oh, and initially, we would set the timer for when she needed to go to the bathroom so that we didn't lose track of time.

It worked very well for us... We'll see with this one.
  • Loading the player...
  • LO is my first and I have no experience, but I'm going to wait until he's ready. From what I've heard, boys take a little longer to be ready, so I'm in no rush. The only thing I'm doing now if anything is talking about what I'm doing when I'm on the toilet (our downstairs bathroom is attached to the playroom so I go with the door open all the time!).
  • LolaX2LolaX2 member
    With my DS we got a little potty for him around a year but that was really optimistic haha! For a long time we just kept it in the bathroom and would bring him in with us when we went and ask if he wanted to sit on it but didn't push anything. Around 2 he started showing more interest but wasn't really ready, it was just a game. Also since I was due to have DD 2 months after he turned 2 we really didn't want to push it as he had enough things changing and we heard enough horror stories about children regressing when new baby arrived. 

We didn't really get serious about it until he was closer to 3 (2 years 8 months) when he really kind of trained himself. We did one week of just after work until bedtime of no bottoms and kept the potty out so he could just go whenever. By that weekend he was pretty much trained. For a few weeks after that he would have maybe 1 accident a week but did great over all even with nap time. He has not had any accidents since then in the past 7 months or so. He does however still wear a pull up at night and will wet in that about 3 nights a week. 

For us it was really just waiting until he was ready and not being too pushy because then we would just get frustrated. Once he was really ready, it was so easy!
  • So on Saturday C looked at me crawled to the bathroom, stood up to the toilet and then went poop. How weird is that?
  • kkaew816 said:

So on Saturday C looked at me crawled to the bathroom, stood up to the toilet and then went poop. How weird is that?

She's gifted! Haha that's really funny though!
  • kkaew816 said:

So on Saturday C looked at me crawled to the bathroom, stood up to the toilet and then went poop. How weird is that?

That's pretty awesome!