July 2015 Moms

Cause for concern?

maggk539maggk539 member
edited May 2015 in July 2015 Moms
This is my first time posting even though I've been lurking around since my BFP. I'm currently 34+2 and noticed these indentions on my leg while in the shower. I had jeans on all day so I can't really give an exact time frame of how long they've been there. I do know they've been the same depth for the last hour and half despite efforts to elevate. Any ladies have similar issues? My doctor looked for signs of pitting and edema at my visit Tuesday. Just curious if this is typical late in pregnancy?

Re: Cause for concern?

• BkryggBkrygg member
    I can squeeze my ankles and my fingerprints stay there for awhile...not an hour and a half though.
    But if your legs are puffy then I don't see too much cause for concern. I'd double check with a quick call to the doctor tomorrow though :)
  • Not sure but I would call the doc in the am. Sometimes swelling is nothing and sometimes it a sign of something more.
  • Loading the player...
  • krk09krk09 member
    Mine look like that too... Dr said "what was your blood pressure? Oh, 118/78. Well, enjoy your last few weeks being pregnant." It's not really the answer I wanted, but because my bp isn't high all the swelling and funny indentions are apparently no big deal.
  • Are you drinking enough water? That helps to take swelling away
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all for your help! I woke up this morning to find the indentions had subsided and all seems well :) I typically try to get at least 6-7 bottles of water in during the day at work and also a few cups while at home in the evenings. So, I don't think it's a water issue! I guess just one of those quirky pregnancy things that can't be explained! Thanks again, ladies!
  • My feet and ankles look rediculous from the swelling...which is only when I'm working because I basically sit all day. Thankfully my legs aren't too bad. Weekends I'm fine as long as I'm up walking and sitting intermittently.
  • My doctor says that medically speaking, serious issues don't resolve themselves on their own. So if you woke up and it was better, consider that a positive!
  • maggk539 said:

Thank you all for your help! I woke up this morning to find the indentions had subsided and all seems well :) I typically try to get at least 6-7 bottles of water in during the day at work and also a few cups while at home in the evenings. So, I don't think it's a water issue! I guess just one of those quirky pregnancy things that can't be explained! Thanks again, ladies!

Fluid accumulates in your feet/ankles/legs due to gravity so if you want to reduce the swelling (in addition to drinking more) you need to elevate your legs. Your veins from your legs are less able to drain the fluid than when you are not pregnant due to the weight of the baby pressing on them in your abdomen/pelvis which is why it can take a few hours (I.e. Overnight) to settle. Swelling in upper limbs/hands is definitely not normal though and may be a sign of pre-eclampsia so ring your midwife/doctor for advice :) x