1st Trimester

Flintstone vitamins vs prenatal vitamins

Hello! I had my first appointment yesterday with my obgyn. I had mentioned to him that I was taking the rainbow light prenatal vitamins. Now that I'm nauseous 24/7, I have trouble swallowing them and they are making me even more nauseous. He had suggested taking flintstone vitamins while taking a Dha supplement. Has anyone taken flintstone vitamins as opposed to prenatal? Also, what other prenatal vitamins would you recommend for someone who at this point having trouble keeping things down?

Re: Flintstone vitamins vs prenatal vitamins

• I've heard many people do well when nauseated with prenatal gummies. I can't speak from experience though. 
    -Kimberly :) 
    My Ridiculous Chart                                                    
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My prenatals were making me extremely nauseous so I switched to a folic acid and flintstone gummy until my next appointment. I see the doctor Monday so hopefully she'll have a suggestion
  • Loading the player...
  • peevpeepeevpee member
    Folic acid is the most important ingredient in prenatal vitamins (according to my obgyn). You can just compare the amount of folic acid in different brands and get the highest. My obgyn also said that folic acid by itself is not recommended because it will not be absorbed without sufficient amount of vitamin B12. Prenatal vitamins usually have the right formula of those two vitamins. Depending on your diet, you might be already consuming enough to of vitamin B12, but this can only be determined from your blood sample. So, ask your doctor if you should or should not just take folic acid alone.
  • I took the Flintstones during my first pregnancy and pretty much every day since, lol. They're just fine. I switched to prenatal gimmes this time and take an extra iron supplement since they don't have any.
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    I take the target brand prenatal gummies. The regular ones make me sick.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• kacibolkacibol member
    Thanks for your input, ladies!
  • The gummy flinstones are so good! I'm using the gummy prenatals but mine don't have any iron so once these are gone I might change brands :)