July 2015 Moms

The Business of Being Born

I just watched this, I found it on youtube.  Kinda crazy and not sure how I feel about it.  For those to did see it, what are your thoughts?  And for those that haven't seen it, here is a link to it.  It used to be on Netflix, but not anymore.  

Re: The Business of Being Born

• Netflix has More Business of Being Born I watched a little of it. I haven't watched any of the first documentary. I will watch it today, thanks.
  • It's interesting, I found it a good starting point for learning more about low-intervention births.  As with any documentary it does have it's biases though.  It was especially good for DH to see because I knew he would never pick up a book or learn much on his own.  We are blessed to have a wonderful hospital that is extremely supportive of low/no intervention births, so I feel I have the best of both worlds.  Labor unfolds naturally, but there's an operating room seconds away in a true emergency.
  • Loading the player...
  • How interesting, thank you for sharing :) im going to watch it again with my husband :D I have a lot of health problems so I never thought about doing it "naturally" or seeing a doula or a midwife or even having a home
    Birth BUT I do hope I can do a vaginal birth and not a cesarean but whichever is best for the baby I am fine either way :D
  • I always had a bad feeling about my doctor/hospital (even though it was just ranked in the top 3 in North Carolina) and so I didn't want to watch it earlier in my pregnancy.  At 28 weeks I switched to a birthing center.  Now, I look forward to my appointments!  I don't get anxious before I go and I always leave feeling better.  I watched this documentary with DH after I made the switch.  SO GLAD I SWITCHED!
  • Thank you for posting. It kind of freaked me out to watch it but it's a good documentary. I have a doula and a obgyn but having so many problems with health insurance, I may switch to midwife in the end.
    I love my doctor/s but this made me think a lot more about the concept of birthing in a hospital. However, knowledge is power and I know I don't have to take or do anything if I don't want to. I just have to remind myself and be reminded by my doula and husband. Plus I am so afraid of drugs and needles that I probably will avoid it out of fear. Lol. I did get hit by a car years ago and refused all pain killers. We will see. I am terrified of the idea of laying on my back and being tied down. I could totally see myself running down the hallway and out of the hospital in that case... well we will see. Thanks again for sharing!
  • I watched it unfortunately I experienced a lot of the unnecessary interventions. I had a epidural pushed on me repeatedly even though I was 7cm and not in any pain. They used fear tactics to convince me I could end up in pain and it would be too late. Also they ruptured my water which caused the pain to start after the epidural I was ready to push 15 minutes later. After they ruptured my water and gave me the epidural my daughters heart rate dropped so they let me push 3 times then yanked her out with a vacuum and I ended up with a nearly 3rd degree tear and anal fissure and it took nearly one year to recover. They also gave me too many fluids via IV and my foot ended up swelling 4x it's normal size no exaggeration. Then I developed a horrible fever from an infection caused from the catheter. Second time around I am aware of my options and I refuse to remain flat on my back during labor. I also will let my water rupture naturally. My labor was very short so all those interventions were unnecessary I was 5cm dilated when I checked in.
  • I watched it unfortunately I experienced a lot of the unnecessary interventions. I had a epidural pushed on me repeatedly even though I was 7cm and not in any pain. They used fear tactics to convince me I could end up in pain and it would be too late. Also they ruptured my water which caused the pain to start after the epidural I was ready to push 15 minutes later. After they ruptured my water and gave me the epidural my daughters heart rate dropped so they let me push 3 times then yanked her out with a vacuum and I ended up with a nearly 3rd degree tear and anal fissure and it took nearly one year to recover. They also gave me too many fluids via IV and my foot ended up swelling 4x it's normal size no exaggeration. Then I developed a horrible fever from an infection caused from the catheter. Second time around I am aware of my options and I refuse to remain flat on my back during labor. I also will let my water rupture naturally. My labor was very short so all those interventions were unnecessary I was 5cm dilated when I checked in.

Oh god. You poor thing. They tortured you! What is your plan for birthing this time?

Oh god. You poor thing. They tortured you! What is your plan for birthing this time?
    This time I plan to stay at home as long as possible, let my water break on its own, walk around during labor, and push on all fours or squatting. I also plan to skip the epidural. I will be flexible in emergency situations but I want to do all I can to try to avoid all the interventions. I'm hoping to have a easier recovery. I know things may happen outside of my control so I'm open to changes if they are necessary. It's at a different hospital this time and they seem more open to respecting our birth plans. This birth will be with a midwife so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be smoother.

• I saw it, along with a few similar documentaries years ago as I've always been into natural birth and have never trusted the medical industry besides. I'm a first time mom, due in July now and my pregnancy so far has been the complete opposite of what I'd always envisioned it in every way. I've had to make several sacrifices and succumb to more westernized medicine in nearly every way. I currently live in Georgia which doesn't really support holistic approaches to medicine and healing and it's been very disappointing knowing that there are no birthing centers and very few likeminded folks. For this reason I haven't watched it again since becoming pregnant so I don't get upset. I just have to put my trust in my body and the doctors I have at this point and hope for the best!