August 2015 Moms

Being a caretaker and taking care of a new born

My disable mother that has MS lives with me and my husband and the stress really starting to build now. I dont know how I am going to be able to take care of a mother that cant walk and a newborn. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.my husband is really stressing me out over this. He wants me to move my mom into a nursing home but she wont willing go into one. I really dont know what to do.

Re: Being a caretaker and taking care of a new born

• Get a nice, comfy baby carrier to wear your baby. It will help a ton!!
    imageLilypie - (d9io)
    imageLilypie - (3w4O)
  • Thj417Thj417 member
    I 2nd the baby carrier - Ergo/Tula I found were the quickest for ups and downs. It will work out.. You'll be surprised! The first couple of weeks will just be learning a new routine. Also, look into a temporary home health nurse for those first couple of weeks - might be worth the cost if not covered by insurance. Or even look into the local MS support groups - they might be willing to team together to help out for a few hours a day. Hope that helps... And bless you for being a caretaker - it's a huge responsibility. Hugs momma...
  • Loading the player...
  • I would also recommend seeking assistance of a home health nurse for your mother if you are set on continuing care for her.  I don't know your specific situation or how much physical/mental assistance your mother may need so it is difficult to give good advice.  I wish you the best of luck!
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree with the PPs! I had to help take care of my dad when my son was a baby. He was paralyzed from a stroke and has since passed away.
    You can also get a caregiver to come and help! If her insurance doesn't cover it, then you can get with a social worker who can provide you with resources. It's hard, but workable. Just make sure you find time for yourself too!
    Best of luck!!! :-)
  • Home care is a great tool, I would recommend starting before baby comes for the extra heavy tasks (bathing for example). She might end up enjoying the fresh companionship and it would give you a chance to rest and destress.
  • Theres probably a good chance that you wont be able to do it all by yourself at first, at least not until after you heal and get into the swing of things. Theres a few different options for help for now and then after a little while you may find that you dont need the help anymore. I would personally not put her in a nursing home until you know for sure that it isnt feasible to have her with you anymore.
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member
    Depending on your circumstances you could qualify for home health through Medicare. Home health nurses typically don't work longer hours with one patient though. They stop by to do their visits, check on vitals or whatever they are there for. Sometimes they will provide a cna/bath aide to come in to help with that. A non medical home care agency would be very helpful. They can come in and provide assistance with personal care needs as well as light housekeeping and companionship. These agencies work longer hours, you choose how long you want somebody there.