December 2015 Moms

My first appointment... If that's what you even call it.

So I had my first OB appointment today at 4 Oklahoma time. It was the biggest waste of my time. All they had me to was pee on a cup and ask me questions. They gave me paperwork and told me to walk across the street to the hospital to get my blood work. I walk over and was told the lab was closed at 4, so now I have to go back tomorrow on my day off to get blood drawn and my Ultra sound is suppose to be monday morning. I'm just frustrated and jealous of all the moms who get their ultra sound at their first appointment. My husband even made it a point to be there for what we thought would be an ultrasound. Sorry had to rant.

Re: My first appointment... If that's what you even call it.

• CMDDCMDD member
    aw i'm sorry you had your hopes up and didn't get to see LO! my first appointment last time was like that too.
  • Did you at least get a swag bag of goodies?!?!
  • Loading the player...
  • @magburt Did YOU get one?! Jealous.

OP, so sorry you had a crappy appt. :( mine wasn't very fun either. Don't worry, soon you'll have an ultrasound and it's just so amazing!
  • @AudriannaMaria it had a bunch of vitamin samples and pamphlets and some kind of formula bottles in it.
  • That is unfortunate, my first apt was the same and second apt was a complete disaster my doc was 30mins behind and then changed her mind about a pap twice and then said she wouldn't look for a heart beat( DH drive 45mins to meet me at the apt) then said they'd look for it. We are all in for long rides with our docs and apts, so I'm trying not to have high expectations at anymore apts.
  • edited May 2015
    I know how you feel. With my very first pregnancy they dragged out the process. I was five months in and completely clueless. In a four day long process, I finally got some answers and got to see my baby.

Day one, tons of paperwork and questions. Then a pee test.
    Day two, blood work and another pee test.
    Day three, scheduling appointments for ultrasound and next check in.
    Day four, I finally get to see my baby.

After that I ran to another doctor. I would advise you to choose another doctor if possible. It shows that they really are not making you a priority and I would not want you to undergo this same horribly delayed treatment and assessment when its time for labor. Go to a place where you can feel like you are important and your time and effort is precious. Please.
    Baby Olivia Born October 28, 2015
    Baby Pumpkin Due July 17, 2017
  • That's what you have to complain about? I'm 12 weeks tomorrow, have had 2 Drs apps, one to confirm preg at 5 weeks and one last week as a "first appt" because I dumped my MW. I have had blood work once, peed in 2 cups, have not heard heartbeat or had an ultrasound yet.
  • The same thing happened to me!! I had to wait two more weeks after my first appointment for an ultrasound. I felt horrible because dh took off work for nothing!

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• jjodomjjodom member
    My first ultrasound is scheduled June 9th. I'll be 11weeks. And my first appointment was at 7weeks. The suspense is killing me lol
  • My doctor only does one ultrasound at 20 weeks..so I'm jealous of all of you that get one early!!!
  • BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited May 2015
    I'm sorry that you're so frustrated and that you haven't had the chance to see your LO on ultrasound yet. Did the doctors office tell you that they would be doing an ultrasound yesterday? Sometimes it helps to ask ahead of time to make sure that you and DH can coordinate your schedules to make sure that he is there for the appointments that are a bigger deal to you. It's not uncommon for them to just verify your pregnancy before doing an ultrasound. I know I had blood work done four times before I had an ultrasound. They often do a urine test with a rapid response test to make sure verify pregnancy, then they send you over to the lab to make sure that your betas are measuring in the normal range along with all the other normal blood work. Usually they have reasons for doing everything they do. Some doctor's offices have labs in their facilities so they don't have to send you elsewhere for bloodwork.

I know it's disappointing, but Monday is so soon and hopefully you will get to see your LO then. Again, I'm sorry that you're frustrated and I hope that everything looks up soon!
  • jjodomjjodom member
    My insurance only allows one unless medically necessary. To though that was a little dumb
  • My last pregnancy I learned quickly after my first and second appointments went like shit, I switched doctors and was sooooo glad I did. If you ladies aren't happy with your docs, nurses or office staff, trust me when I say it might only get worse! Switch now! I would not be happy if I haven't had an ultrasound or Doppler check by 10 weeks.

Op, that sounds crazy to have all that running around to different places and different times to do do blood work and ultrasounds! Too much running around when it should all be done in one appointment! I'd totally switch doctors if you can! Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yikes, I'm 11 weeks and going for my first appointment today pretty sure I'll get a Doppler and I'll be asking asap when I can see an ultra sound because my boyfriend is leaving work early to be there for this appointment to. Sorry for the ladies who had less than pleasurable first appointments. I'll post an update when I go in, in 3 hrs.
  • amama3amama3 member
    edited May 2015
    My 1st appt I had to pee in a cup. Positive test :D at 5wks3days, they gave me a bunch of papers on my health/babies growth, and prenatals. My 2nd appt was 2wks later, had a abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound baby bean measured at 7wks2days(only 1 day off) and I heard the heartbeat at 142bpm <3 They surprised me by letting me choose out of gifts that moms had hand made in a program, I chose this light blue knitted baby blanket(unisex) And my 1st appt with my OB is tomorrow, just tons of paperwork and blood tests(at 9 1/2 wks) My ultrasound will be at about 18wks when I'll find out the gender(End of July!!!!!) I hope you ladies will have better experiences and be able to see your LO, Wishing you mamas the best!
  • Seriously ppl get goodies at there hospital appt?? So jealous I just get an outrageous bill! They don't even let us keep the water bottle revise after pushing out the baby :(
  • amama3amama3 member
    My first 2appts were at a Pregnancy Resource Center, and there services were free- they provide pregnancy tests and your first ultrasound just because they care about you and your child to be. Honestly, those women were soo nice and I love that they offer those services to help moms and prepare you for your future. They even helped me get involved in a MOMS program, and I met with the community health worker today whom I will be seeing a couple/few times monthly before and after my child's birth.
  • I'd suggest trying to find a doc with an ultrasound machine in the office. Mine is on the 6th floor of a hospital doctor building, I'd be pissed if I had to walk somewhere. I'm going to have my 3rd u/s June 4th, but that's bc I had some bleeding early on and they want to monitor a large cyst I have in there. But I also got a blood test the first time I came in! I'd shop for a new doc. 

SaveSave
  • torriej27 said:

So I had my first OB appointment today at 4 Oklahoma time. It was the biggest waste of my time. All they had me to was pee on a cup and ask me questions. They gave me paperwork and told me to walk across the street to the hospital to get my blood work. I walk over and was told the lab was closed at 4, so now I have to go back tomorrow on my day off to get blood drawn and my Ultra sound is suppose to be monday morning. I'm just frustrated and jealous of all the moms who get their ultra sound at their first appointment. My husband even made it a point to be there for what we thought would be an ultrasound. Sorry had to rant.

I never got mine at my first... First was paper work and questions... Second was a pelvic exam and then they scheduled an ultrasound at 10w... Not much to see until around that time anyway other than a blob lol... It starts looking baby shape during that week. Sorry your frustrated and were expecting something different!
  • koala1107koala1107 member
    edited May 2015
    I know it's definitely disappointing but you're really not alone! A lot of doctors have a similar policy. Many of the ladies you see who have gotten multiple early ultrasounds have history of losses which makes them more likely to be monitored early. Some just got lucky. But I assure you that while frustrating, it isn't that unusual. Maybe next time when you make the appointment ask what to expect and if there will be a reason for hubby to come along too. It'll be worth it when you see your little peanut at your scan on Monday!
  • Mine was yesterday and like that too! I begged for the doctor to try and find the heartbeat but the doppler was from probably before I was born so we couldn't hear it. My husband was there too and it really was kind of a waste of a day off. I get my fest ultrasound June 8th so I'll finally know what's going on inside of me! I totally feel your frustrations though girl!
  • Typically you can see (not hear) the baby's heartbeat with the transvaginal ultrasound at 7-8 weeks. Hearing the baby's heartbeat with a doppler comes weeks later, more around 12+.

https://www.babycenter.com/404_when-can-i-hear-my-babys-heartbeat_10349811.bc

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I agree with PP, find a new doc! I came in, not knowing how far along I was, and when we talked she told me I was probably only 6 weeks and we probably wouldn't see anything.

Since she has an ultrasound machine in her office, she said "let's just see what we can find. Take off your pants." Lol.

I guess I thought all OBs would have an ultrasound machine at the ready.
  • So update, I went to my midwife for my first appointment today at 11 weeks. I have a urine sample, followed by blood pressure, weight and blood samples. We then went over my and my boyfriend's medical histories then a brief physical (she checked my ears, throat, abdomen and listened to my heart and lungs) then before she did the Doppler I merely asked when my first ultrasound would be and she said it can be today if you want (SCORE) so we went back and there was baby Q just a wriggling and moving. I can't fathom why in 2015 anyone would make you wait just to see the baby, I mean you're paying for the service so what's the issue? I'm trying to share a screen shot from the video my boyfriend took but my phone is being poopy but I hope everyone gets to see their little angels soon.
  • I'm totally lurking (hi!) but this isn't unusual in the slightest. My first appointment was at 7 weeks and all I did was pee in a cup, get medical history from both sides, leave a blood sample, and get an information packet. I had an ultrasound scheduled afterwards for 8 weeks. I'm SO glad they had me wait until 8 weeks for the ultrasound because I've met lots of women who had them sooner and couldn't see much (like a baby or a heartbeat) and were sent into a panic for a week or two only to come back at a later date and all was well, it was just too early to see anything. At my 8 week ultrasound I saw a yolk sack, a head, a brain, a torso, a heartbeat, and the start of arms and legs. All they really did was measure the baby to give me a more accurate due date and make sure the pregnancy was in my uterus and not in my tubes. It was very short. Unfortunately, in the very early stages of pregnancy there isn't much to monitor. Baby just has to do its own thing for a while. Hang in there mama! 40 weeks flies by faster than you can believe.
  • I won't get a first ultrasound until 20 weeks unless there is a need for one, so I understand how you feel!