June 2015 Moms

34 weeks- Could my little man be trying to make an early appearance?

13»

Re: 34 weeks- Could my little man be trying to make an early appearance?

• @Mommaswizz nah, new yorkers are pretty nice.. If you can get them to stop long enough to give you those directions, lol. ;)

There were a couple of times I was standing looking at he subway map in trepidation and someone would ask me where I was going and then pointed me to the right train and told me how many stops away it was, etc. I was always so grateful, and made sure I paid it out later to others looking lost at the subway maps.

I like the quote tho cause I think it represents the way the world thinks new yorkers are (and the way new yorkers like to imagine themselves, sometimes)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • LaurenAnn0405LaurenAnn0405 member
    edited May 2015
    I'm from the South and now am living in Florida with the crazies. All over the news it's always "Florida Man Does Random Creepy Thing". Thanks, crazy Floridians, for ruining it for everyone. Love it here. The morning radio show I listen to on the way to my internship actually has a segment called "Florida Stories" where they feature crazy news stories about people from Florida... It's pretty hilarious haha @karaelaine1991 is it 96.1 kiss? I love that morning show! I listen to it every morning and it always makes me giggle ETA: quote fail

• I'm from the South and now am living in Florida with the crazies.

All over the news it's always "Florida Man Does Random Creepy Thing". Thanks, crazy Floridians, for ruining it for everyone. Love it here.

The morning radio show I listen to on the way to my internship actually has a segment called "Florida Stories" where they feature crazy news stories about people from Florida... It's pretty hilarious haha

@karaelaine1991 is it 96.1 kiss? I love that morning show! I listen to it every morning and it always makes me giggle

ETA: quote fail

Haha yes! Mikey and Big Bob! :)
  • Lol my husband and I were born and raised in Wisconsin so a lot of people think we have that nice Midwestern hospitality too. My husband was stationed in California with the Marine Corps and since he's been out we visit his friends in all different states. Well when we were in Indianapolis I would always say hi to people in passing on the sidewalk or stores. They'd always laugh at me and think it was absolutely hilarious that I was so open to say hi to complete strangers on the street
  • hoodoll82 said:

I have to imagine Bostonians are way meaner to tourists and outsiders than New Yorkers are! We are currently under bid to host the Olympics and public opinions polls show that none of us want it. We got lives to live, stay the hell away, is the basic feedback!

Go Sox! I have family up there.
  • ElRubyElRuby member

I find it strange and weird if someone says hi to me randomly. Or tries to make small talk. I am bothered by nothing more than sales people or someone trying to bug me in a store.

WE DON'T LIKE PEOPLE IN THE TRI STATE AREA. I swear I'm nice I just...don't want to be bothered when I'm going anywhere or doing anything. Also if you walk slow or two people in a row in a crowded place I will probably make a snarky comment that is *just* barely audible.

Edit..wait is the TRI state area NY NJ CT to other people in the U.S. or are there multiple places that are referred to as the TRI state area

I hear ya! I never say hi to people at random unless I know them... And I leave stores annoyed and confused when people make small talk with me hahahah.. A really nice lady was making conversation with me at the nail salon and all I kept thinking was "do I look like i want to talk to you?"... It is worse since I am pregnant though so that may be it!
  • SerenamarrSerenamarr member
    edited May 2015
    I find it strange and weird if someone says hi to me randomly. Or tries to make small talk. I am bothered by nothing more than sales people or someone trying to bug me in a store. WE DON'T LIKE PEOPLE IN THE TRI STATE AREA. I swear I'm nice I just...don't want to be bothered when I'm going anywhere or doing anything. Also if you walk slow or two people in a row in a crowded place I will probably make a snarky comment that is *just* barely audible. Edit..wait is the TRI state area NY NJ CT to other people in the U.S. or are there multiple places that are referred to as the TRI state area
    Tri-state area to me is NY NJ PA...
  • I find it strange and weird if someone says hi to me randomly. Or tries to make small talk. I am bothered by nothing more than sales people or someone trying to bug me in a store.

WE DON'T LIKE PEOPLE IN THE TRI STATE AREA. I swear I'm nice I just...don't want to be bothered when I'm going anywhere or doing anything. Also if you walk slow or two people in a row in a crowded place I will probably make a snarky comment that is *just* barely audible.

Edit..wait is the TRI state area NY NJ CT to other people in the U.S. or are there multiple places that are referred to as the TRI state area

To me it means NYC/northern NJ and SW CT. But I'm from New Haven so maybe that's just my take. I went to college in the south and the niceness make me suspicious!
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    She just updated in daily symptoms! @hayesrn13
  • I find it strange and weird if someone says hi to me randomly. Or tries to make small talk. I am bothered by nothing more than sales people or someone trying to bug me in a store.

To me, tri-state for sure includes NY and NJ. I usually think CT is the third one but that's probably because I watch a lot of Gossip Girl and HIMYM and from what I recall any time they refer to it, I think they include CT. both of the places I've lived in PA are far away from NY and NJ that the term doesn't really come up, but I feel like if I lived closer to Philly I'd probably say PA is the third state. So interesting how it seems to mean different things regionally!
  • mellymar said:

I went from the laid back west coast, to the polite and friendly south, to the don't talk to me NYC area. :-O
    I quickly learned the ropes, tho. I would give a hi and peace sign to those people I passed every day but didn't know (I mean, I knew them in that I saw them every day and they saw me every day but we never spoke to each other). Other than that you pit your headphones in and *avoid eye contact*! You do not know WHO is going to latch onto you and possibly go crazy at you for not listening to them. And hell yes - those people that walk in groups that spread across the sidewalk, but at negative mph speeds, just lollygagging... Pull over, people! This commute is down to a science! I have x many minutes to reach my train, x many minutes on my train, then x many minutes to buy a bagel and hot chocolate, which leave me with exactly the amount of time left to have a smoke in the shade before I have to start work. Move it! And DO NOT EVER walk right up to the subway stairs and then STOP right at the top because you have not finished your phone call or whatever. Bitch, I will slam into you from behind and send you a'tumbling down the stairs, I swear to the gods I will.

So then I moved to a super small town where you can go anywhere without seeing someone you know or who knows you by some kind of default ("don't you work with so and so? Didn't you buy the waterstreet's house? I've seen you around at this restaurant") so now I have had to relearn the art of small talk. I miss the anonymity of the city. I can't go somewhere for lunch without being engaged in conversation :-<

My folks had to do the same thing. They moved to a small town where EVERYONE knows what everyone else is up to. Most of the time, it's innocent, like, when she goes to the grocery store, it's, "oh, I just saw your husband here- he was grabbing his favorite milk!" My mom definitely felt a little stalked the first two years there.
    Now she uses it to her advantage and asks the cashier, "I bet he bought some Oreos, too...?" Haha.
  • I've lived in Nyc and Philadelphia and honestly Philly is worse as far as crazies and homeless. At least in Nyc most of them will take the hint if you ignore them. But the people in North Philly are literally insane. I was walking to class one evening and a homeless woman passing by in the opposite direction came straight at me and put her face into my chest. I was so taken back and appalled and disgusted and violated I just didn't even know what to do...... Another time I was unloading some things from my car and a homeless man crossed the street and came up to me (scary enough for a female alone at night) and started asking me if he could have various things from my trunk. Like random things like a sneaker, ice scraper, etc. I gave him a half empty bottle of tequila so he would go away. When I used to go to the store there people would FOLLOW YOU INTO THE STORE AND ASK YOU FOR MONEY AFTER YOU PAID AND FOLLOW YOU OUT. In my hometown now there is a group of people who panhandle professionally. They all live together in a house and get picked up and dropped off from their panhandling locations every day like a job. They also sell drugs. The town over from me is pretty grimy compared to all the very rich towns surrounding it and every time I have to go to Rite Aid there are people there asking for money and I am now a total bitch about it because of my previous experiences. Like just leave me alone!!!!

If someone is just honestly homeless, I feel for them internally most of the time. But my experiences with dangerous homeless people have scarred me to the point that I can't even give anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore.
  • Oh man. I read The Road. I also spent a couple days just depressingly digesting that. Just one of those where the entire time you're just sadly facing a reality that you can't do anything except try to swallow your sadness and shake your head.
  • @klkonwi @amark11 I loved that book! You're so right though, it's a tough read - but it's so well-written. And I thought it was really amazing how she was able to write about her family and say "This stuff was terrible, but they weren't terrible people," and actually convince the reader of that, too. I think that can be a hard distinction to make, but she did such a great job at it!
  • Both of those books are so good! The Road literally had me scared shitless for a couple of days... And I'll probably be the first to die if there was an apocalypse! DH never read the book and only saw the movie and he didn't get "it". I tried to explain that you imagine it so much worse in your head. Like the part at the farmhouse where the people were locked in the basement!
  • Both of those books are so good! The Road literally had me scared shitless for a couple of days... And I'll probably be the first to die if there was an apocalypse! DH never read the book and only saw the movie and he didn't get "it". I tried to explain that you imagine it so much worse in your head. Like the part at the farmhouse where the people were locked in the basement!

Omg. Horrible. I've told everyone I know not to read it unless they like that stuff.
  • mellymar said:

Oh man. I read The Road. I also spent a couple days just depressingly digesting that. Just one of those where the entire time you're just sadly facing a reality that you can't do anything except try to swallow your sadness and shake your head.

The last book that did this to me was The Time Traveler's Wife. Spent about three days just mulling it over with all of these mixed emotions...man, I love that book! Sounds like I'll have to read The Road now, too :)
  • amark11 said:

Both of those books are so good! The Road literally had me scared shitless for a couple of days... And I'll probably be the first to die if there was an apocalypse! DH never read the book and only saw the movie and he didn't get "it". I tried to explain that you imagine it so much worse in your head. Like the part at the farmhouse where the people were locked in the basement!

Omg. Horrible. I've told everyone I know not to read it unless they like that stuff.
    I thought it was a really good book, but I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to reread it and I don't think I'll ever watch the movie - I don't think my soul can take it.
  • amark11 said:

Both of those books are so good! The Road literally had me scared shitless for a couple of days... And I'll probably be the first to die if there was an apocalypse! DH never read the book and only saw the movie and he didn't get "it". I tried to explain that you imagine it so much worse in your head. Like the part at the farmhouse where the people were locked in the basement!

I thought it was a really good book, but I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to reread it and I don't think I'll ever watch the movie - I don't think my soul can take it.
    The only other time that a movie/book had such a lasting impression (basically scared shitless) was watching Rosemary's Baby. I had to wake DH up and have him finish it with me! This would probably be the worst movie to see while pregnant!