March 2015 Moms

HELP.):

breannalexisbreannalexis member
edited May 2015 in March 2015 Moms
What do you do when your mother-in-law is your babysitter but in your opinion she is real rough with your 2 month old.. I'm a first time mom and Idk what to do and she never listens to me when I tell her what kind of soap and lotion I use for my baby etc. she just doesn't listen..

Re: HELP.):

• I'm in the opposite situation. Mine tells me I'm too rough with my baby and my baby has been holding her head up on her own since she was born and she is now 2 months old and still tells me to hold her head and not let her hold her head up. I just tell her it's my baby and I know what's best and I know how to take care of her. Tell her she has to take care of your child the way you want it took care of because you know what's best for your child and she needs to follow your rules. Good luck to you
  • I'd suggest getting your DH involved.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear you! Running grandparent interference is very frustrating and exhausting. My husband, LO, and I are living with my parents for a year to save money and man has it been difficult! My suggestions: get to know how to talk to your mother-in-law; tell her she should relax and enjoy the fun role of grandmother now (she's not the mom anymore!); tell her she did a great job of parenting because you love her son (most of the time, LOL) and that she must respect you and your husband's wishes/rules/etc because YOU guys are the parents and she won't be here forever.
    And sometimes you have to choose your battles....is it really worth your precious time and energy to quibble about minor stuff every time? I think you'd rather use that time and energy to sleep, go for a walk, go to the salon, read a book, etc! Also, venting to a friend, or posting to this board, are fabulous stress-reducers!

Hope this helps! You're not alone - I'm in the same boat! Good luck!
  • emsillickemsillick member
    edited May 2015
    The holding baby's head up thing really resonates with me! Ever since my little boy was about three weeks old he's been holding his head up, he has incredibly strong neck muscles. Even so, I will try to support his head if he will let me, but I really don't need to.

My mum berates me about that, along with everything else. She questions every decision or judgement I make including which formula to feed baby, that I should sterilise everything every time I use it (sometimes a good scrubbing with hot water and washing up liquid does the job when in a hurry) and keeping the sterilised bottles in airlock containers. She had a go at me for having a lit candle in the flat the other day, I am in the same room! I know she has good intentions as she loves her grandson but it makes me feel like a little girl who can't be trusted. I know my instincts are right when it comes to my son and I don't want to bring him up being overly obsessive and anxious about every little thing.

I also have a friend who has helped look after new babies all her life. She ALWAYS makes me feel inadequate when I am with her and my son, saying things like 'Oh, watch his head. Make sure you support his neck' and 'Is he comfortable like that?' It really winds me up as she is not a mother and can't possibly know what it's like to know your own baby. He's fine! And if he wasn't, I would know about it.

Grrrr! Rant over :)
  • Thank you lady's! I'm just so frustrated that she does not listen and I always have to constantly repeat myself.