August 2015 Moms
Options

Breast feeding class... Is it worth it?

Hey all! FTM here, I've heard some people say that it is good to take a breast feeding class BEFORE the baby arrives. Has anyone done this? Is it worth going before (class is $40) or should I just wait and see how it goes with the lactation consultant after birth. Thanks for your help!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Breast feeding class... Is it worth it?

• Options
    Mine was free, so that made it worth it.  It was helpful, but I feel like I learned more from the LC at the hospital, she was actually the teacher of the class as well, but having the baby in my arms just made it all click.  I probably wouldn't pay to take it but perhaps read a little online and see if you can find pictures or photos of what a good latch should look like.  Kelly mom is s good resource. 

The best advice I got was to, 'watch the baby not the clock' which is to say, in the beginning if baby seems hungry even if it's only been a short time since the last feed, feed them again. 
  • Options
    I say do it because knowledge is power. I had no idea how much I didn't know about BF until I took classes and had my babes. That being said, if you're into self education there are tons of books and resources online. Kellymom.com is good, la leche league's website is helpful too. There are YouTube videos on how to hand express, get a baby to latch, and different nursing positions. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is another great book.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would skip it. The LC at the hospital should have all the information you need. How in the world do you figure out which breastfeeding position or latch technique fits you and your baby before the baby comes? Sounds silly to me.
  • Options
    Miz_LizMiz_Liz member
    I personally hated the class I took at the hospital. I learned so much more from the LC's once DS wasborn. It is hard to "practice" without a real baby.
  • Options
    You really need to have a real live baby trying to latch in order to figure out what in the hell you're doing. Otherwise it's like trying to learn to drive a car by sitting in a Driver's Ed class....totally worthless!
  • Options
    malonc2malonc2 member
    Our LC consultant was the teacher at our class too. We loved it! My husband did not want to go but ended up finding it very informative. We learned things that we never knew about, and got to know the hospital's policies etc. I would do it!
  • Options
    I began reading a breastfeeding book and then went to the class. So the class itself wasn't a huge learning experience for me since I already got so much info from the book. But my SO learned a lot and we got to learn about hospital policies which was a huge help.
  • Options
    The class I took was great. If you don't know anything about breastfeeding theb you should go. It's not about practice, it's about knowledge. So when you are trying to get it done you will be confident and know how to approach breastfeeding and how to address problems.
  • Options
    amorgan71313amorgan71313 member
    edited May 2015
    I just took a class at our hospital this past week. It was $30 and was taught by the hospital lactation consultant. I thought it was totally worth it, my husband came with me too. The LC will come see me in the hospital after the baby is born but it was nice to be able to meet her beforehand. She covered a few topics outside of breastfeeding too. I knew a lot of what she said but some was new information. Mostly I think it just eased my mind a little.

Edit: I also think it was great for my husband to hear everything from someone other than me (that it can be hard for some people, ect.). I think it helped him understand more of what I could be going through. He probably learned more than I did.
  • Options
    My class was free too, but I thought it was worth the time. True until baby is here the latch part didn't make sense, but I learned a lot of other things about breastfeeding that I didn't know otherwise. I'm sure you can get them from other avenues. Tips for dealing with blocked milk ducts, spotting thrush and what to do if you develop mastitis. Talked about nutrition and foods that help supply. How to hand express. Stuff like that.
  • Options
    Thj417Thj417 member
    I learned most after baby came. Find local breast feeding support groups. La Leche League welcomes pregnant mommas. They will tell you the same information and charge you $0. And, will be there after you've left the hospital.
  • Options
    You are suppose to attempt to nurse ASAP... Which is well before a LC will be there... That said, the nurses are good at helping too!

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17