May 2015 Moms
Options

anyone exclusively pump?

I have had so many problems trying to BF with LO at the breast. I am interested in learning more about exclusive pumping. Right now when I pump, I don't get a ton out. Maybe 1 ounce. But before I give up breastfeeding completely, I would like to attempt exclusively pumping for a while and would love any tips anyone could provide.

Re: anyone exclusively pump?

• Options
    I am currently EP, but I am working towards getting him back on the breast. The Ameda website has lots of good information and this blog has some good tips. Right now I'm pumping around the clock, every 2-3 hours to establish a good supply. I'm also taking more milk plus and eating and drinking frequently. Good luck, it is a lot of hard work.

https://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping

https://www.laurenmcbrideblog.com/2013/10/exclusively-pumping-tips/

• Options
    I exclusively pump for twins - ahhhh - but put them each in my breast for 10-15 min per day. I don't think they are getting a ton of milk (they drink a full bottle afterward) but I don't want them to forget how to breastfeed. I pump 6-8 times per day. I usually get a larger supply first thing in the morning and right after they breastfeed (surprisingly) so I pump a little longer those times. Good luck! EP is twice the work of formula-bottle feelings but hopefully worth it in the end!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The more you try to pump, the more milk you'll produce, in theory--at least that is how it worked for me. Also, if your baby is not right there with you--looking at pictures or videos of your baby while pumping helps to get the milk flowing. I used to do that while pumping at work---I think doing that helped me to generate oxytocin & would usually make me happier and more relaxed--that worked for me the first time around any way. Best of luck!
  • Options
    a316ba316b member
    I did it for my first two- and I'm splitting breast and pump with this LO.

Try to pump at least 7-8 times a day. Invest in a hands free pumping bra. If you're able to rent a hospital pump- it is so much faster! (My insurance covers it this time around.)

Get a car adapter to pump on long drives. (Multitasking lifesaver!)

At 3.5 weeks post baby, I get over 20 oz every day now (in addition to BF a few times a day). It started out at 1-2 oz, and by 4 days post partum our daughter didn't have to supplement with formula anymore.

It can be tough, but it worked for me. Hard to get established, but once you do- it's not that bad.

Good luck! They're some great websites out there.

https://exclusivepumping.com/exclusive-pumping-for-a-newborn/

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for all the tips! Part of my problem is -- after I pump, I don't feel "empty". Any tips for that?? Ive tried to pump longer but that doesn't seem to help. I don't get any extra massaging.. Not sure if I'm not doing it right??
  • Options
    Sam2552Sam2552 member
    Sometimes I use a warm wet wash cloth. I let it sit on top of my breasts before I start pumping for a few minutes. That really helps me get out as much as I can.
  • Options
    Booby tubes or other hot/cold pack
  • Options
    I did for the first 6 days. Its definitely tiring but try to pump as soon as you wake up. That's usually when you have the most milk but everyone is different. And then try pumping again every 2hrs. You might not get as much milk every time, that's completely normal! Id get 2-3oz in the morning, and maybe an ounce every other time.
  • Options
    a316ba316b member
    Heating pad, booby tubes work.

You could also try smelling baby blanket, looking at photos of baby, holding baby. That can help trigger your second (or third, etc) let down.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    After EP all weekend, I'm not sure that's for me either. I am just really struggling with all things breastfeeding. I just want my child to get breast milk and can't seem to make it work!
  • Options
    MrsS728MrsS728 member
    I'm not EP, but pretty close. After 5 days, we had to go to the bottle because baby girl wasn't getting enough milk and lost 13% of her birth weight. Now I'm pumping every 2-3 hours and topping off the bottle to 2-2.5 oz every 2-3 hours. I also nurse on demand, but don't count that as a feeding because I don't know what she's getting and I honestly think she wants to nurse more from a soothing standpoint than hunger standpoint. 
  • Options
    OK.. Now that I EP all weekend, I'm ready to quit. I pumped every 2-3 hours around the clock. I get 1 oz max. I can't keep it up and try to bottle feed LO. Its all consuming and the tiny but I get isn't worth it. How should I quit? Slowly space out my pumping sessions?
  • Options
    ali0608ali0608 member
    From the other post, you know my thoughts. Pumping is so taxing on a new mom. I can't blame you. With my first, I did take supplements to boost my supply. They did help. With this one, I refused to exclusively pump. Too stressful.

If you are really ready to quit, slowly space out pumping until you just pump for relief. I started doing this but now I pump 4-5 times a day for 5 minutes. I get 1-2 bottles a day for him and it's not too much for me to deal with. So we'll see when I actually quit. He's at least getting a little breastmilk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    That's a good idea. I could probably manage that. I honestly want nothing more than to provide my child with the benefits of breast milk but she refuses to latch on, acts like she is starving if she does (poor latch), and I can't even pump enough to fully feed her. Its making me into a crazy person and I am hating this time with her.

I haven't ever tried but realistically I could probably go all day and not pump. I never once have felt engorged or even like my breasts are full. I will have to try today and see what happens.
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    Good luck getting off of pumping @nursej519 . I know this isn't turning out the way you wanted it to, but be proud of your efforts. You tried so hard and did everything you can. Unfortunately BF is just not in the cards for you. I hope you're now able to embrace formula feeding and enjoy motherhood and this time with your LO. You're a great mom, no matter how she is fed.
  • Options
    I'll probably hate myself for this tomorrow but I made an appointment with the lactation consultant for tomorrow to see if we can get LO to latch on. I need to be done with the pump. If I could EBF until i go back to work, that would be just fine. I just can't keep doing the BF-bottle feed - pump cycle.
  • Options
    Apparently I'm too darn stubborn to give up.
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    Well hang in there for one more day! I hear you, if I could get out or the nurse-bottle-pump cycle I would be so much happier and it would be so much easier. I hope to drop either the bottle or pump by Friday.
  • Options
    ali0608ali0608 member
    I was so happy to meet with the lactation consultant!!!  Try to be optimistic.  ;)  If it doesn't work, it's just a few hours of your day.  If it does, you'll be on your way to doing what you want!!!

• Options
    I am making my husband come so he can help/know exactly how to support me at home. I really need to drop either the bottle or pumping from from the breast - bottle - pump cycle in order to keep my sanity. Let's hope she can work some magic.
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    Let me know how it goes. Good luck! My husband came with me to my appointment last week and it was helpful.
  • Options
    I would recommend that you don't quit just yet- try a couple more things. Make sure you are drinking more liquids (my supply is way low when I forget to drink a lot of water), try eating almonds (that super charged my supply when I started pumping), and think about taking fenugreek (a girlfriend of mine swears by it). Also- be patient and kind to yourself, breastfeeding and pumping are brutal (no joke) and we are all champs for feeding our babies and being good mamas, no matter if we are breastfeeding, pumping or using formula. One more tip- if you have nipple issues (I have semi inverted and it makes breastfeeding a bitch, which is why I pump to supplement my DD's milk intake), try using a nipple extractor pump (they're little and manual and cost about $10 at the baby supply stores) before you pump- they make your nipples come out more and I find that it helps get the nipple right in the center of the pump before I pump, yielding a better result with how much milk I can pump. Best of luck and hang in there! You're doing great :)
  • Options
    @mnmarcy -- thank you for the tips. Ive tried fenugreek, mother's milk tea, brewers yeast tablets, Reglan, lactation cookies, etc. Have not tried almonds though. I haven't felt like anything else really helped my supply. I actually have one of those extractors because my nipples are semi flat. Well they were before I started pumping so much. I think what is getting me is just how time consuming everything is. I don't feel like I have time to do anything else and I feel like, with such a low supply (or pumping output, I should say), is it worth it?? I'm hoping the lactation consultant can really help me tomorrow. I have met with another one before, multiple times, but am hoping a new, different, fresh set of eyes will help.
  • Options
    Let me know what they tell you. I've seen three and none helped. But I did just start taking reglan today so I'm hoping it helps. I really want to give her breast milk longer than two weeks.
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    Great job trying @nursej519 . I hope you can move on and find happiness in your new routine. Easier said than done since I'm going through something similar, but don't beat yourself up or feel guilty.
  • Options
    I honestly thought I would feel guilty but I feel great. Maybe I'm on a high from all the free time ive had, lol but I feel more connected to my LO than ever. For me, it was be a good mom OR continue to try to breastfeed. I had a hard time making the decision but now that I have, it feels right. Good luck to the rest of you on your BF/pumping adventures. I plan to 100% attempt again with my next child but I have come to terms that this LO will not latch, and without her doing so, I cannot produce enough milk. Thank you all for your tips, advice, and support!
  • Options
    My first could not latch & I just had my 2nd two weeks ago & he got it from day one. Don't feel bad!
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    Thanks for sharing how you feel @nursej519. Glad to hear it is positive for you and can be for me too if I decide to stop.
  • Options
    I have been in the exact same boat as you and my son is a month today. The pediatrician told me to stop. She said I've done all I can and the stress is just not worth it. I came home and packed the pump and all the supplies up. I still feel a little bad and like I'm going to be judged for formula feeding but I agree, I've had so much more time to focus just on the baby today
  • Options
    I'm still trying really really hard. The reglan doesn't seem to be helping..but I'm still keeping up with three bottles full (4oz each) and every time she empties one I pump and fill it back up. But still not getting enough to store away. :( looks like when I go back to work I'll have to formula feed
  • Options
    MrsS728MrsS728 member
    We had to exclusively pump because I'm not producing enough, so we have to supplement with formula. I'm so thankful that we are supplementing because I must have eaten something last night that doesn't agree with my baby girl. She was crying hysterically for 2 hours straight. I finally made the decision to give her 100% formula.....she's out like a light. I'll have to do 100% formula for another day or so and continue to pump. It's going to kill me to pour the breast milk down the drain......
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    @mrss728 I wouldn't pour down the drain yet. Maybe it was another reason she was crying? Maybe you can mix be breastmilk with more formula? I know how hard you worked for that milk, so I wouldn't let it go so easily yet.
  • Options
    @altarrose -- I am glad you ate feeling good about your decision to stop. I am glad to see I am not alone in this struggle. When it all is said and done, we did what was best for our children and what is best for them is that we take care of ourselves!
  • Options
    MrsS728MrsS728 member
    @Idmw I haven't just yet. It's still sitting in the fridge. I think I'm going to freeze it and dilute it with more formula like you said. At this point I want to get her at a minimum a good solid 8 weeks of some breast milk for the antibodies. After that if she needs to be on 100% formula, it's what we have to do. I was talking to my mom and I guess she (and her siblings) also had a low supply issue. It runs in our family. 

On a positive/side note, I pumped a whole 3 oz this morning, which is a first for me. Usually I get 1.5-2.25 oz. 
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    That's awesome!! I'm still barely pumping an ounce, but it's been consistent at around an ounce for the past few days. Better than where I was but I want to get to 2-3 ounces.
  • Options
    I exclusively pump now because baby Lucy is tongue tied. She has a good latch, but isn't able to get her tongue to do what's necessary to get enough milk to come out. She was VERY aggressive in trying to nurse, and after one night where she came up for air with a face covered in blood from my nipple, I had to make the decision that the damage she was doing to me was not good, and I went to pumping. I have issues keeping up with her demands on most days, and have had to start supplementing formula here and there when I couldn't make enough. As much as I had looked forward to breastfeeding, I had to just tell myself that I also had to do what was best for me, and I had to give my nipples a break. I also couldn't stand thinking that if I continued, she might get more mouthfuls of blood, which is just not a good thing for anyone!