Breastfeeding
Options

Should I feel empty after each feed?

Hi all - DD2 is 1.5 weeks old. Started to EP last week when she was jaundiced and not gaining weight.

We seemed to have gotten past the worst of it, and am having a lot of success nursing now.

Problem is - my breasts still feel huge and achy after she nurses - guess I was pumping a lot more than she is eating?

Is this normal? Do I just hand express a bit and hope my body will adjust... hoping that I don't develop an infection in the meantime?

TIA!!!

Re: Should I feel empty after each feed?

• Options
    febmom4febmom4 member
    I think your body will adjust but I know it is important to empty both breasts and yes I believe hand expressing is what you would want to do. How much were you pumping before and for how long? New borns stomaches are pretty small so they don't need much to fill up!
  • Options
    You are just starting to establish your supply, you are likely to feel very full until your body and your baby are more in-sync. If you get uncomfortable feel free to hand express a little or jump in a warm shower and let some of the extra run out. Be careful to not pump or express too much as you can easily cause oversupply. If it gets super uncomfortable on a regular basis, deveining cabbage leaves and putting them in your bra can help the inflammation and cut your supply down naturally. I always strongly recommend joining your local La Leche League group and/or getting in contact with a lactation consultant if you need more advice.