1st Trimester

White coat syndrome

does anyone else have this problem? I get so worked up and anxious over doctor offices and visits and I am worried my BP will be through the roof for prenatal appts. I am already working myself up over it and haven't had my first appt yet. Any advice on how to calm myself? I am normally on anxiety medicine but obviously stopped that while trying to get pregnant.

Re: White coat syndrome

• does anyone else have this problem? I get so worked up and anxious over doctor offices and visits and I am worried my BP will be through the roof for prenatal appts. I am already working myself up over it and haven't had my first appt yet. Any advice on how to calm myself? I am normally on anxiety medicine but obviously stopped that while trying to get pregnant.

Tell your OB. They can help.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My OB has me lie down as soon as I get there and we have a couple minutes of small talk about life. It helps mine come down tremendously, and feel less worked up.
  • Loading the player...
  • My office is really cool in that they have patients check their own blood pressure and record it while waiting. I think it helps decrease the false elevated readings
  • Tell your OB you have that problem. Also maybe consider seeing a midwife instead. I have found in my experiences, that their bedside manner is much more calming and reassuring than an OB.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I have the same problem. I told the OB and she lets me take mine at the end of the appointment after all the "scary" stuff is over. She also has me take it on my own at home for a baseline.
    Married 4/24/2009 TTC 1/01/2013 BFP 7/1/2013
    TTC #2 01/01/15 BFP 4/24/15
    Healthy Baby Boy Delivered in March 2014
    "Courage is not absence from fear but rather and understanding; that what you desire is greater than what you fear"

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm pregnant with my second, but for the first one I had this throughout my pregnancy. You have to tell your doc and it does help if you can relax and chat with the nurse before they take your BP. I hated having this issue. I also suffer from anxiety. Good news is my doc told me I have a high chance I won't have this issue with the second one. And sure enough I've had great BP and have been way less nervous so far. It helps that I know what to expect. Try to also do some deep breathing on your way to the appt. That also helped me a bit. Good luck! You'll get through it Mama!!!
  • I have the same problem. With my first if it seemed high (I am typically 90s over 60s range) they would take it again at the end of the appointment. If you know your baseline- tell your doctor and tell them you have appointment anxiety. They are there to help and don't want to treat you for high BP you don't actually have.