October 2015 Moms

Abscess near groin

This may be TMi, but I have a large and extremely painful mass near my groin. Has anyone experienced this? The nurse line at my doctors office said to use a warm compress to draw out infection and to monitor my body temp. It seems to be pulling the infection to the surface and it seems like it may rupture. Has anyone experienced this during pregnancy? I'm 16w 2d and it's starting to make me nervous. It's large and soooo painful!!

Re: Abscess near groin

• Sounds like a clogged hair follicle. It's happened to me and can be very painful. Warm compresses will help it open up so it can drain, probably need to put a little pressure on it to
  • Not during pregnancy but just before we conceived, I had an abscess on my cheek that thankfully was treated with warm compresses and antibiotics without having to get it drained. Definitely be super diligent about the warm compresses. I mean, do them round the clock. And just be sure to keep the area super clean. If you're as concerned as I was, talk to a doc or NP about your antibiotic options. Abscesses can get serious quickly. If nothing helps within about a week and you feel it needs to be professionally drained, don't hesitate. I hope it gets better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • A few years ago (long before I was ever pregnant) I had a very large groin abcess. My doctor had to numb the area with a local anesthetic, drain and pack it with iodine soaked gauze. Still have a nasty scar... Sounds like yours isn't as large if your doctor hasn't treated it. I've read that moist warm compresses and certain kinds of poultices can help to either draw out infection or bring it to a head.
  • I see these all of the time in the ER. A lot of times our razors can make small cuts that introduce infection. They are very painful, just keep using the warm compresses. If you start to run a fever, notice red streaks spreading away from the site, or it generally looks worse instead of better I would see your doctor. Sometimes an antibiotic or draining it is the best way to get rid of it. Make sure your changing out your razors frequently.
  • Update!!

I have been using a warm compress and it seems to be helping draw anything to the surface and is bringing it to a head. It has been feeling worse and worse and getting larger. I hadn't been treated since I hadn't consulted my doc about it thinking it was a lymph node and that it would go away. The late night nurse line at my doctors office told me to go to the doc first thing this morning, and if I couldn't go in, to go to the ER and get it drained and cultured.

It could be from a hair folicol, but I don't think it's from a razor, since I have been lazy and haven't "cleaned up" down there since I got pregnant lol!!

Its only 6am here in CO, so I am just waiting to be able to call the doctors office and get in. I haven't even been able to walk or move much due to extreme pain. Hope they can get it taken care of today.
  • Thanks for all the info, ladies!
  • I completely sympathize with you. I haven't had any since becoming pregnant but towards the end of last year I had 3 very painful abscesses in the space of five months. The first on my groin, I used warm compresses, I got a fever but it erupted on its own. The second one was also on my groin and I was operated on under anasthetic and the last was on my bum cheek - another operation and over a month of alternate days of packing the wound. They get out of hand quick and are incredibly painful. Are you diabetic? People with diabetes are prone to abscesses. Go to your doctor or hospital. I really hope you get it sorted quickly, just remembering the pain makes me shudder. Good luck!
  • @claireoc81 I am not diabetic, although I did read that that could encourage abscesses.. I am waiting to hear back from the doctors office now to see if they can see me today, otherwise when my husband gets off of work I will go to the ER or Urgent care... I am scared to go by myself :(( I read that having it lanced and drained is horrifyingly painful :(
  • I have had these before and they hurt. TMI, but in high school, I had one on my butt cheek that made it SO HARD to sit down. My doctor finally (after two weeks of warm compresses, etc.) lanced it. It didn't hurt too bad: he numbed the area with a topical. It didn't hurt any worse than popping a really big zit, to be honest! Then they bandaged it and gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. It's a pretty easy fix, but keep an eye on it and DON'T try to lance it yourself (you probably know that) and get to a doctor as soon as you can. 
  • They numbed me so the process of draining and packing didn't hurt at all. Once the local anesthetic wore if I was pretty sore for a while, but "pretty sore" was a huge improvement compared to the pain I was in before having the procedure done.
  • I use to get them all the time... Last one was right below my butt.. They numbed it sticking needle in it then cut it && squeezed all the nasty out.. I haven't had one sense then
  • @sarahewilliams118 I was put to sleep for both my operations. I promise the pain relief you get is worth it. When I had the packing taken out of the abscess on my groin.. It was extremely painful, but only for a couple of seconds. Praying it's better for you now.
  • It sounds like a bartolins cyst. I had one, thought it was an ingrown hair and tried to draw it out with warm compresses. It would get better then come right back. Eventually it was the size of a tennis ball and I couldn't walk or sit or wear pants or underwear. I ended up having to have a surgery called a marsupialization where they create a new pocket for the gland so that it quits getting clogged. Hopefully you don't have that. It was the most god awful thing I have ever experienced. I want pregnant when I got it (although I wasn't supposed to have sex for six weeks after the surgery and I got pregnant the day I finally did. Lol)
  • I agree - it does sound like a Bartholin cyst which i had two my last pregnancy and had to have them lanced in order to drain and then tubes placed inside me to keep the glands from closing. Very painful prior to lancing and uncomfortable for about 6 weeks after while healing.