Nurseries and Baby Gear

Convertible or Combination Car Seat?

I have a 3 yo daughter who rides in a Chicco Nextfit.  She is about 38 lbs and 38 in.  I also have a 12 mo son who is 22 lbs and 30 in and who is quickly outgrowing his Chicco Keyfit.  Do I buy my younger child a new convertible seat similar to his sister OR do I move him to her Nextfit and buy my daughter some kind of combination seat? 

Any info is appreciated.  I'm so confused about all the different carseat options!

Thanks!  

Re: Convertible or Combination Car Seat?

• asm07asm07 member
    edited May 2015
    Is your daughter rear or forward facing? If she's still rear facing and you want to keep her that way for awhile, which you could do, then buy another convertible for your son. If she's already facing forward, I would say pass the nextfit onto your son and get her a combination seat.

Also, I'm pretty sure your son has already outgrown the keyfit by height and needs a convertible seat ASAP.
  • Thank you!  Yes, he needs a new seat.  We are going to pull the extra convertible out of my husband's car for him to use in mine while we figure this out!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Since she is almost 40lbs, I would get you DD a combination seat. Graco and britax are both regularly recommended for combination seats.

Your son outgrows his kefit by height when his head is 1" from the top of the shell. My son stayed in his until he was about a year and a half.
  • asm07asm07 member
    edited May 2015

Since she is almost 40lbs, I would get you DD a combination seat. Graco and britax are both regularly recommended for combination seats.

Your son outgrows his kefit by height when his head is 1" from the top of the shell. My son stayed in his until he was about a year and a half.

Just for future readers of this post, height is outgrown when the child's head is 1" from the top of the restraint OR when he/she hits 30" tall. PP, if your child was 30" or taller before a year a half, he had indeed outgrown it by height.

https://carseatblog.com/5364/chicco-keyfit-30-review-infant-carseat-nirvana/
  • HWKIHWKI member
    Britax has a "fit my child" guide on their website where you enter weight, standing height, and height from shoulder to bottom. It is a helpful guide.