Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Newbie to TTC and clarification on temping and CM checking

Hey all,

I had an unplanned pregnancy, found out in November which resulted in an MC in December. My hubby and I went through two cycles without trying (per docs orders) and we are on our first true month of TTC (last month I'm pretty sure we missed my O because he was traveling). I have been lurking on this board for awhile now and was a part of the first term board back in November/December.

Since the first pregnancy was unplanned I really didn't know the ins and outs of TTC, but I feel like I am learning a lot. I just bought Taking Charge of Your Fertility and am in absolute amazement so far...it's seriously life-changing and I think every woman should read it whether they are TTC or not. Anyways, I'm not finished with the whole book yet, but it is really putting temping into perspective as I previously have had my hesitations with temping. For clarification, temping is more for knowing when AF is coming and when you ovulated, but by the time you see the increase in temp you have already ovulated? Also if you stay at an increased temp for more than 18 days you are most likely pregnant? I guess my question is for you ladies that do temp and CM check is is CM checking info more to let you know when you are about to ovulate and/or ovulating and temping info is more for after you ovulate to know when to expect AF and when to test and how long your cycle is? I know in the book she recommends not looking at past cycles to predict future cycles and all of that jazz so I'm just trying to be as informed as possible before I decide to take the next step. Also, I do realize you start to see a pattern after temping for so many months and that will help you nail down timing, but I guess I just needed a little clarification.

Thank you for the book recommendation and thank you in advance for your help!

Re: Newbie to TTC and clarification on temping and CM checking

• Options
    Sounds like you've got it right to me!
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    Yes, temping confirms ovulation and lets you know when to expect AF (and when to test). 

OPKs and CM help you predict ovulation, but don't confirm that it happened. More they just key you in that conditions are right for ovulation to happen, whether it happens or not. Make sense?
    Me 37, DH 37
    Married since 4/2004
    DS born 1/20/16, Graeme
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You got it! I am sorry for your loss. Welcome to the board! It's amazing how much I have learned from being here. Best of luck!
    Me:27 DH:27
    Married: May 2013
    TTC#1 since Nov 2014
    MC June 2015
    MC January 2016
    Compound Hetero MTHFR Gene Mutation
  • Options
    Yep, that's the gist of it.

CM/CP/OPKs help you with timing, temp tells you whether you've ovulated.
  • Options
    I have a lot of charts (32!) in the link in my siggy if you want to see real life examples
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    Perfect! Thanks so much for the clarification! I really do see now the importance of temping! My hesitations were because of anxiety and I know that I would probably obsess over it, which I really need to make a concerted effort not to. I know it's important and something that I am interested in doing, not even for TTC sake but just to learn my cycle and be able to pinpoint AF (which after MC has changed drastically!)
  • Options
    cattlebridecattlebride member
    edited April 2015
    Good job!