September 2015 Moms

Opinions on Epidurals?

So I've been trying to ask around lately about what kind of pain control I should use during labor (as a FTM I have no clue). However, the responses I've gotten have been all over the place! I'm leaning toward getting an epidural, but I'm still unsure! Any advice, especially from STM's, would be appreciated! 

Re: Opinions on Epidurals?

• I got an epidural and will be getting one with this one. I tried to hold off as long as I could but had horrible back labor that radiated down my hips and upper legs. I ended up giving in and getting one and have no regrets.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I loved my epidural with dd1. I was able to relax and enjoy. Then I ended with a c-section but that was my body at work not the epidural.
    Everyone has an opinion on it. Go with your gut
  • I had an epidural with my first and did not have any complications. I waited until I had really strong, stop you in your tracks contractions, before I asked for it. I just wanted to experience them before I got the pain relief. Talk to your doctor about any concerns that you may have. You don't really have to make the decision until you are in labor; but just remember that there is a point where it is no longer possible to get one. It really is a personal choice and one that you shouldn't be judged for. I knew that I wanted one because I wanted to be more relaxed and comfortable during the delivery. But I totally give props to the Mommas out there that deliver without one. They are very brave!
  • I've had one for both of my previous kids (singleton births) and will definitely do it again for these twins!  I respect people that want to do the natural thing, but that's not me.
  • sschwegesschwege member
    edited April 2015
    Honestly I would go into it with an open mind and be prepared for anything.  Learn about some non-medicated forms of pain relief and also about the epi.  Just as a med-free birth is guaranteed to no one, an epi is no guarantee either.  This way you are ready for whatever comes your way. 

That being said I had a med-free birth both times and if all goes as planned that's the route I want to take for this one too.  I had a great experience and wouldn't change it, I loved being able to move around and get up right after baby was born.

• yes please!!! No regrets on that decision with delivery #1. I have absolutely no judgement when it comes to pain.
  • I did not have an epi but had IV pain meds. I did not like how out of it they made me feel. I did ask for an epi but I was past the point of being able to have one. I went into things open to anything. I wasn't counting out medication but I wanted to see what I could do. I plan the same this time. I am going in with an open mind but I know this time IV meds are not something I want.
  • When researching for my first, the list of complications scared me away from epidurals. They can stall labour, statistically your odds of a csection go up. I decided to try naturally first, then gas, narcotics or epidural if it became too extreme. I moved around a lot, and was able to cope pretty well until transition. I used nitrous to help calm down until ready to push. I liked that I felt in control and aware of the changes in my body, I knew when I needed to push. I also had a great natural high with delivery, and forgot about any pain. Even after having tears stitched, I was able to walk down to my postpartum room. I plan to do natural again, with a doula to help support me.

My advice is to research all your options thoroughly. Watch some natural births for ideas on pain control without meds (the documentary the business of being born is on YouTube and has lots of great birth scenes).
  • LOVED my epidural, will def be getting one again!!!
  • I second learning about all of your options and being open to whatever will best fulfill your needs at the time. I learned all about breathing techniques and epidurals. In the end, I went med free, but it was nice to have options and not to be rushed or pushed into something at a hectic and confusing time.

• WDDCHWDDCH member
    edited May 2015
    Well we can tell you what we each like until we're blue in the face. But you have to ask yourself a few questions about how *you* envision your birth.

The best way to do that would be to watch several of each: medicated, unmedicated and surgical births (YouTube has plenty of birth videos). Which do you relate with the most? Make a list of what is important to you. Yeah things can change but a birth plan is best case scenario with plan B's tossed in for what to do for worst case scenario. It's good to know what you prefer no matter what happens so you aren't just a spectator. This is your body and your infant. You have a voice and both of you deserve respect.

Also it is very important to know the risks of epidurals beforehand. We're very laid-back about them in our discussions but it is risky.

I had epidurals with my first two babies and chose to not have them for the last three. Yeah it hurt but it was temporary and wasn't killing me. I preferred the more peaceful entries that my natural births allowed, especially my waterbirth. Had nothing to do with wanting to be super woman. I just felt it was the safer option. I second another commenter who suggested The Business of Being Born.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did not have one with my first, there was no time, but I didn't want one anyway. They all but forced me to have one with the twins and it was horrible. It hurt SO bad to have it put in (no labor pains yet to distract me), and I have been suffering with chronic hives for the past 10 years because of the allergic reaction I had from it. It's not that common but it does happen to a percentage of people. I could also feel an ache in my back at the injection site for the first three years after delivery. Ugh, never again if I can help it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KERJFKERJF member
    I had one with my first. And it made me never want another. I lost feeling in my legs for 2+ weeks after - they just felt like they fell asleep and never "woke up". During it was fine, but honestly, once you hit crowning nothing takes away that pain. It also left me with pain in my back where I cant lay flat on the floor anymore (pregnant or not).
    For DD2 I just dealt with labor pains and delivery was the same pain. And recovery was much faster. No catheter, no dealing with ivs - it was awesome.

imageimage
  • I couldn't have survived my first delivery without it! But I wish I hadn't gotten it with my second. Going into this delivery hoping to avoid an epidural but not completely opposed to it. You'll know what your body can handle!
  • melewenmelewen member
    One thing you should know is that an epidural can actually affect your first month of motherhood emotionally and otherwise. Also it increases the rate of c-section (since you can't feel the birth canal to have a more instinctive push reaction). I'm a huge fan of natural birth but epidurals are quite popular. If you're on the fence do some research on the effect of epidurals on baby. It's amazing to see how active babies are when they're totally unmedicated!
  • My daughter came so fast I had no time/choice for pain medication. That being said, with this one I will try another natural delivery. It may seem silly but I test my sugar 4 times a day and inject insulin 4 times a day, I really don't want stabbed with another needle lol.

Everyone has different needs and opinions and what they choose is what they feel works best for them and their beliefs. I'm going to try to go pain med free but if something happens or it becomes too much, I'd still be open to some help.
  • I'm a forth time mom and well my first I had epidural I didn't feel a thing but that was an issue cause I had no idea how to push and slowed down labour a lot had to have baby out by forceps
    Second I wanted epidural so bad but. Was too late to get it after all the labour was quick and knew what to do
    So with the third I decided to not even ask for epidural and won't with the forth either
  • Let me add the pain is very unbearable but when it's over it is all over so quick you don't really have time to think about it in the moment
  • nflan16nflan16 member
    My epidural was amazing! I couldn't even feel it go in and it let me actually enjoy being in labor. I could relax and get excited to have my baby. When I started pushing I did feel the tearing and stinging..not sure if that's normal or if the epidural was wearing off, but it was definitely not as painful as it would've been without the epidural because I didn't have the pain of the contractions. I will definitely be getting one this time. Modern medicine is a great thing :)
  • melco19melco19 member
    My advice is go in with an open mind. I was positive I was getting an epidural for my first, I even asked for it early. But... Due to a huge amount of deliveries that day, I didn't end up being a priority, and I had to do it all med-free. The worst part was actually caused by me feeling so scared that I wasn't prepared to go without one. This time I'm going in expecting a med free delivery and I will just go with the flow.

• vino831vino831 member

I did not have an epi but had IV pain meds. I did not like how out of it they made me feel. I did ask for an epi but I was past the point of being able to have one. I went into things open to anything. I wasn't counting out medication but I wanted to see what I could do. I plan the same this time. I am going in with an open mind but I know this time IV meds are not something I want.

What did you not like about the IV Meds? And do you know what they were?

Thanks!!
  • I got an epidural with my first two and will get one with this one. I prefer the more comfortable form of labor. Most people I know have gotten an epidural.
  • Wyso620Wyso620 member

I have had an epidural with both of my kids and I hopefully plan on having another one with this one. The first pregnancy the epidural didn't work everywhere so I felt quite a bit of pain. I was also pushing for two hours grrr. The second one was amazing. I barley felt anything and I pushed her out in less than five minutes. It is almost a hit or a miss. Don't let all natural mommas tell you and try to make you feel bad about your interests in getting one if you are interested. I have had a few of them do that to me. I don't feel guilty for trying to relieve some of the pain. But its all on how you feel when the time comes.

• rara222rara222 member
    I was induced and had an epi with my daughter. However, they placed it 3 times and it never "took". I had some sort of blockage in my spinal cord. Anyway, I delivered my 15"-headed child unmedicated and I hope to just go for it again this time around.
  • I'm on the fence. I'm a ftm so I while I can read up on childbirth I know it won't give me the full picture until I'm actually in labor. I won't be making a decision until I'm actually there in the moment and know if I want to handle the pain or not. Everyone I tell this to thinks I'm being silly and basically says get the epidural but to me that's so condescending to say to someone. I'm open to the idea of getting one, definitely not anti-epidural ir anything. But I'd like to at least experience labor first before saying I absolutely can't do it without an epidural.
  • I did not have an epidural with my daughter and I do not plan on having one this time either.  I wanted my labor to be as natural as possible so I would have an easier recovery and less chance of having a c-section. My labor did not go as planned and I ended up needing pitocin because 24 hours after my water broke my contractions were not starting on their own.  I tried everything to get it started naturally and had a foley bulb but that didn't work either.  I was so upset and really did not want pitocin but I had to do what was best for my daughter.  Yes, the contractions were quite painful but I was able to labor through it and deliver without an epidural or other pain meds.  

Do your research!  My sister didn't research anything or plan for her labor and ended up with an epidural and c-section.  She regrets it and then had a successful VBAC.  I know plenty of people who had epidurals and loved them so it's really up to you but I suggest doing as much research as possible and see what will work best for you. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I had an epidural with my first and wouldn't have it any other way. It worked like a dream for me.

With that being said if I would have had a negative experience with it I probably would have different feelings this time around.

The thing about labor and delivery is that it's very unpredictable. Everyone has a completely different experience each time so my best advice to you is to go into it with an open mind.
  • I had to be induced with my first, and I also had an epi. I progressed through , full dilation and was ready to push (i could tell, and feel the urge). However after pushing for 6 hours, they discovered ds was too big and was pushing my hips apart (which I could feel and was extremely painful even with the epi). So I ended up with a csection due to that Not due to the epi. =)

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• I had IV meds and an epidural with my first. I went in not wanting an epidural. But I had been experiencing horrible back labor for several hours before arriving at the hospital. They suggested IV so I tried it. It made me feel a little dizzy, like I'd had a bit too much to drink. But it was fine because I was exhausted (it was probably 2 am) and wanted to sleep any. It definitely scaled the pain way back and I could rest for an hour or two. When it wore odd they gave me the option of another dose or an epidural. She said there was a chance the second dose wouldn't work as well so I did the epidural. I didn't feel it being placed at all and it worked well for me.

My second came so quick there was no time for meds. It hurt like none other, but it was for such a short period of time, like an hour. And no back labor like with #1. I thought I might have been able to handle that kind of pain for longer, but definitely not the back labor.

Since labor length is unknown you can't plan. But I definitely think some pains are worse than others.