July 2015 Moms
Options

Breast pumps

ok! So I know this was briefly discussed back in February but now that it's getting closer and I've started researching which pumps my insurance covers I am a little perplexed by the pros and cons of each? Anyone have any idea how to choose a breast pump? Or recommendations? Thanks ladies!

11 weeks to go for this prego!!

Re: Breast pumps

• Options
    My hospital wrote a prescription for a company to deliver one to my house. It was a heavy duty one. Don't remember the brand but hopping they do the same this Time around and it's covered. Check with your OB and see if they will cover it for you.
  • Options
    I've always been recommended Medela, its a very popular brand and everyone i've talked to has used it. Also, a plus side I find, is its very easy to find their bottles/products in stores. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Medela has been used by several family members with no complaints.
  • Options
    Medela Pump in Style is the most popular model and it's pretty powerful. However, it's an open pump system, which means that it's harder (or maybe impossible) to completely clean it completely. This means you can get mold in it, which may or may not be a big issue. Who knows? Ameda Purely Yours is a closed pump system, which makes it more sanitary. Here's an article about all this jazz: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/buying-a-used-or-new-pump/

I went to Mommycon recently and chatted with the Ameda guy. He showed me the barrier that prevents the liquid from getting into the tubing and explained that while the Medela pump is more powerful, most women don't need or use the full power capacity. 

I'm trying to decide if I care about the mold thing. :)

Honestly, I think I might just use my insurance to get an Ameda pump and then purchase a new Medela pump from a friend who is selling it for cheap (I'm getting two so I don't have to tote a pump to and from work). I'm just not sure if owning two different pumps is dumb...wondering if I'll get screwed buying a ton of different parts for two different brands...

image BabyFruit Ticker

Married 10-15-2011
    BFP 10-30-2014
    Baby's due 7-08-2015

• Options
    Yea- I'm between medela and ameda. My insurance only covers the basics of the Medela which doesn't include the tote, extra bottles, or cooler, but covers literally everything for the Ameda. The Ameda has good reviews for the most part, not as glowing as the Medela though. So yeah idk I might just get the Ameda but I am inclined to follow the pack and get the Medela just because everyone says it's better
  • Options
    Ugh, I was hoping my insurance only covered one or the other so I wouldn't have to choose. Lo and behold- The only two pumps they cover are the Medela PISA and the Ameda Purely Yours. I'm leaning towards the Medela because all of the times this question has been asked the vast majority of moms voted Medela. However I am a bit worried about the whole open system thing PP mentioned. But I guess if most moms vouch for it it can't be THAT much of a PITA to keep clean!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had the Ameda for my first born and I was a sole pumper for 6mo. and it seems pretty basic but I didn't know the difference since it was my first time and it did its job. 

My second pregnancy, I got the Madela and I loved it! It seems so advanced and luxurious haha, and perfect for on the go and traveling. I pumped again for 6mo and I am so glad I switched. 

I just got off the phone with my insurance and I upgraded to the madela metro for an extra $70. It will be here in a few days! :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got the Medela Pump In Style through my insurance. It doesnt come with everything, but I figured I could get whatever accessories I felt I needed through Amazon fairly cheaply and this way I can pick out my own tote! I work in an office building and have noticed women carrying around their Medela bags, so I feel like this way I can conceal what I am doing a little better, not that I really have to but it will make me feel more comfortable I think. 
  • Options
    I'm getting the Medela Pump In Style Tote. It's a $90 upgrade with my insurance.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am leaning towards Hygeia Q, also covered by insurance.  It is also a closed pump system, and from what I understand a lot of the Medela parts will fit on it!
  • Options

I'm getting the Medela Pump In Style Tote. It's a $90 upgrade with my insurance.

This is exactly what I did. The process was simple and it arrived already. I haven't taken it out of the box yet though so I can't really give a true review of it. I'm also a FTM but everything that I read really pointed me in the direction of Medela.