October 2015 Moms

Opinions!

I'd love to get some mama perspective on this...

So my in-laws have a time share in Florida, on Disney property. They have been going for as long as I can remember. They usually go down on Black Friday (after Thanksgiving) and stay the following week. My husband's sister and her family have accompanied them for the past few years and this year, (before we announced we were expecting) my mother in law asked us to go. Our son will be 4 at the time and it will be his second visit. We will also have the new baby who will be a little over a month old. My question now is......have any of you traveled with a tiny baby. One month seems so little. But on the other hand, I was thinking I could just buy a new baby carrier and wear the baby for most of the time. All the baby will need is breastmilk, diapers, and wipes. So part of me feels like this is a great time to travel with two kids because the little one will need so little! BUT I'm nervous about the plane ride..the compressed air and all the possibilities of germs, etc. I need some opinions!! Thanks ladies!!

Re: Opinions!

• I personally wouldn't travel during flu season with such a small baby in busy places. We try to avoid crowds until baby is 8 weeks. Also, thinking back to how tired I was at 4 weeks with my son, I don't think I could have enjoyed any vacation because of the constant 24/7 feedings.

On the flip side, traveling with a small baby would be really easy! I think it depends on your personality, energy, and ability to go with the flow. I'd also hate to have my son miss out on an almost free trip to Disney. We are a Disney-loving family :)

I'd like to see what others say. You also might want to talk to your pediatrician.
  • People travel around the holidays regardless of their health. It will be flu season. If it were me, I think I'd skip this year. Would it be too far to drive?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I traveled with my daughter when she was breastfeeding, just not that small. I made sure to be feeding her during take off and landing, and apart from that she slept for both flights. Infants really seem to need less then toddlers, so if you think you are up for it, do it. Flying would be WAY better then driving. They just need to eat and be changed so much you would have to stop all the time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My paediatrician recommended we avoid people for the first 3 months, until our son could have all his needles, and to avoid getting sick ! He was prone to breathing problems since birth because of a cyst on his vocal cords he had removed at 1 week old, although I think I'll keep this baby away from people too for a few months (public places)
  • You ladies are helping already!! I love this site...as for driving I feel like flying would be easier only because I could hold the baby the whole time whereas in the car we could have to stop a million times! I'm still not sure what to do. But talking to the pediatrician makes sense. And YES @cocor04 we are a disney family as well, and my uncle works down there, so admission is FREE. I'd hate for him to miss out on another visit...I guess we will decide as it gets closer. Thank you so much!!!
  • I would speak with baby's pediatrician first! :) and of coarse base my plans off of his/her verdict & how im feeling at the time with baby. Like a pp said it will also depend on your energy and ability to handle all of this. All for the plane ride use a pacifier for baby's little ears! I traveled with my son 6 months and let him use a paci on both flights luckily he didn't get attached to it! But that was of huge help! Enjoy disney is you do end up going!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Worse case scenario your DH could take your son and you could have some quiet time at home if the doc says no traveling for the baby.
  • Is there any chance you could post pone the dates? I'm sure your in laws would understand if you decide not to go. But maybe there could be another time like after Christmas breaks are over for all the schools.
  • What if you have a c-section?..recovery time is 6 weeks.... i wouldnt plan any travel that soon after giving birth, you have no idea how you and baby will be feeling.
  • We traveled to Orlando (We went universal, not Disney) but my baby was 3 months old. She was AN ANGEL the entire time. We actually drove as well (12 hour drive for us) and she slept literally the entire car ride, only woke up to eat. Although its harder to enjoy stuff because of naps and feedings, I think they are easier at that point than toddlers.