1st Trimester
Options

Shortness of breath early in first trimester?

I'm just shy of six weeks & I already feel like I'm working hard to breath just sitting around sometimes. If I exert myself at all I feel like I have to stop & really focus on getting a good deep breath. I know this can be normal later on, but should I be worried this is setting in so early?

Best Answers

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    And my fatigue started around 5 1/2 weeks. I found that heated places made it worse
  • Options
    Yes this is normal, I read somewhere that your body is pumping something like twice as much blood as usual, even early on, so shortness of breath does happen. Sometimes it's why fainting is a good first indicator of pregnancy. I noticed I got very out of breath doing the easiest of things the first few weeks but it seems to have leveled out lately. I'm hoping it stays that way because going up 5 steps and panting feels pretty pathetic lol 
  • Options
    This is exactly how I feel! FTM as well so I just don't know what to expect. Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm only 4weeks and 5days and I get out of breath so easily, its crazy. So I'm glad to hear its normal. :)
  • Options
    I'm 4 weeks 6 days, I'm a teacher, and during my read aloud I could barely catch my breath!! Even now sitting on my couch its a little hard to take a deep breath
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married 11/24/13
    DD1 born 12/24/15
    TTC #2 Aug. 16
    BFP for #2 11/22/16

Aug17 December Siggy Challenge: Funny Pics of Kids Afraid of Santa

• Options
    I just find myself taking deep breaths a lot
  • Options
    Hi all! Im a FTM as well, currently 11 weeks and three days. I have had shortness of breath since before the 6 week point but im also an asthmatic . The doctors are letting me continue my nebulizer treatments which helps alot, i do live in arizona (hell) lol so im sure thats no help with my breathing! Glad to see im not alone with these problems tho! i was researching this and it seems to be pretty normal this early on although i ended up in the ER because of it about two and a half weeks ago so im hoping in the second trimester it goes away! was wondering if any of you with breathing issues in your pregnancy are also having severe cramping and soreness ?  
  • Options
    Yep, carrying the laundry up stairs is a chore on its own, wait walking up the stairs is by itself. I keep telling my hubby I can't image 7 more months of this and 20 extra lbs(if I'm lucky)
  • Options
    With my 2 most recent pregnancies, I noticed a full week before testing positive on a pregnancy test that I was getting out of breath when running on what should have been short, easy runs for me.  I've never brought this up with my doctor or read anything to confirm that this is an actual indicator of pregnancy, but the fact that so many other people have noticed something similar is definitely interesting!  
  • Options
    Hello! I am in the awesome 12th week and I'm already feeling better. But for a long time I was always short of breath. Just a simple dog walk would have me huffing and puffing. It should get better though. My doctor said it's completely normal. 

BabyFruit Ticker