August 2015 Moms
Options

Rapid Baby Movement

I'm a FTM, 22 weeks 3 days, and had a strange experience last night. I was laying in bed when the baby started moving like crazy for about 5 minutes. This wasn't anything like the rolls and kicks I've been feeling. It was almost constant and very rapid movement. Is this normal?

Re: Rapid Baby Movement

• Options
    gatormom73gatormom73 member
    edited April 2015
    I called my doctor about the same thing yesterday. .my baby is breech so I was trying to get her to turn so I was doing positions I saw on the Internet(im 30 weeks). The next morning she was moving very unusual so I called the doc and they acted like it was no big deal and told me not to do that again and rest. I was scared I had wrapped her up in her umbilical cord. Her movements have went back to normal now.
  • Options
    My girl does that about once a day (usually at night!). Better to have more movement than none!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    irohspupilirohspupil member
    edited April 2015
    I think it's pretty normal. My girl will go into crazy mode after I've eaten something sweet or in the middle of the night (25 weeks). I think any movement is good.

edited to add how far along I am.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds normal.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If you have concerns about your baby's movement, I would call your doctor. But, like my doctor has said many times, your baby's movement will vary a lot and not necessarily be consistent right now. My doctor personally doesn't start kick counts until 28 weeks because that's when movement is most consistent.

I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds like LO just got excited about something. But next time you have a concern, a call to your doctor, or maybe even a quick Google search to find a respected pregnancy resource, might serve your purposes better. Internet forums can give you all sorts of mixed responses.
  • Options
    Maybe he or she had the hiccups? I have experience similar movements but they do not last long.
  • Options
    Mine does this too. This weekend he was flipping around in there like crazy most of Saturday, to the point it made me sore! Turns out he managed to flip from breech to head down :-) now he's been much less crazy with the movement.
  • Options

Funny how we go from "my baby isn't moving" to "my baby is moving too much/too weird."

This exactly. I have never heard of to much movement being a bad thing.
  • Options
    Totally normal! The baby is getting bigger and more active. This is a good thing. :)
  • Options
    You also need to keep in mind that your baby's nervous system is not fully developed yet, which can make his or her movements pretty random and change speed.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. I didn't say that I thought the movement was necessarily a bad thing, just it was unusual compared to what she had been doing. I'm a FTM, so sorry if I stamped an annoyance button.