August 2015 Moms

Delayed clamping vs cord blood banking

What's your plan? Any way to do both?

Re: Delayed clamping vs cord blood banking

• I'm choosing to do the delayed clamping. I honestly don't have enough money to pay for the cord blood banking plus there hasn't been enough data to prove that banking is actually worth it.

I highly doubt there is a way to do both since the delayed clamping is pumping all the blood and stuff back into the baby and that's what needs to be saved.

Me: 25 DH: 27

Married: April 25th, 2014

DD #1: August 20th, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're donating the cord blood to a public bank.
  • Loading the player...
  • My dr explained that there is no way to do both. They either cut the cord shortly after birth, drain the blood in your kit, and store it or they put the baby directly on your chest and let the blood flow back into the baby. You will be able to choose which you'd prefer (unless there is a complication and they have to take baby straight from you to the NICU or to be seen by a pediatrician. in that case, they will just cut the cord right away to disconnect them from you so they can take them) But if you want to bank it, you need to bring your own kit to the hospital when you deliver.
  • Following
  • We looked into banking when I was pregnant with my first.  In most cases the AAP does not recommend banking, so we decided to delay clamping and if there was enough left over to donate.  With my first we were able to do both.  With my second we didn't get the donation kit in time so we only did delayed clamping.  Hope to do both with this LO.
  • I also plan to delay clamping because of the benefit to the baby. We don't have extra money for the banking and we personally don't feel it's worth it.
  • mrieemriee member
    edited May 2015
    I'm definitely going the delayed clamping route but I was also planning on donating the cord afterwards. But from everything you've all said you can't do both
  • My first son is adopted so we did banking because he will never have a full blood sibling and therefore no easy chance of a donor if he gets sick. I am now pregnant with our biological child and still deciding whether we will bank or not. It is very expensive but does provide some peace of mind.
  • I've never heard of delayed clamping!!! Glad I read this thread! I'm definitely going to ask my doctor about it. We wanted to bank it because pkd runs in my family and I was told it would help, but we just can't afford it!
  • AGundy said:

We're donating the cord blood to a public bank.

I had never heard of this! Totally going to have to do my research. Seems like a great idea!!
  • We plan to delay clamping. I feel baby should get what is hers.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • WDDCHWDDCH member
    We will delay. My midwife doesn't collect the cord blood and not sure I'd do it anyway if she did.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Last time we donated to the blood center. It is free, and that way there is a better chance it will actually be used for something worthwhile... from research to saving someone's life.

I would only pay for banking if I knew for certain a relative could need the cord blood in the near future.
  • AGundyAGundy member

AGundy said:

We're donating the cord blood to a public bank.

I had never heard of this! Totally going to have to do my research. Seems like a great idea!!
    Check with your hospital. Mine works with a public bank, so they have the kits there.

I looked into banking versus donating with my first born. The American College of OB and Gyn and the Anerican Academy of Pediatrics recommend donating to public banks rather than paying to store. From what I've read and what my docs said, there are a lot of genetic defects that you can't use your infants own cord cells, because they contain the same genetic defects. The cord blood at public banks are free for others to use.

The American College of OB and Gyn recommends delayed cord clamping with preterm infants, but there is not enough sufficient evidence of the benefits to a term infant. There is also an increased risk of jaundice with delayed cord clamping.
  • We donated the cord blood with our first and I'm registered to do the same with this baby- to me it is amazing to think such a small gesture could save someone's life!
  • Banking is too expensive for us, so I researched donating with DS. Apparently they need a certain amount of ____ (i can't remember what) to accept and store the donation, and in CO with low altitude it's a 50/50 shot that'll happen. If there isn't enough, they basically just trash it, it's not used for any other research or whatever. It was also up to us to bring it to them. So, all in all, we decided on delayed clamping.
  • My doctor said something at my last visit which really swayed me for delayed cord clamping. She said, "If people are willing to pay thousands of dollars to bank this stuff because its so good for baby, why not let it flow back into your baby at birth and let them have the benefits?"
  • AGundyAGundy member

My doctor said something at my last visit which really swayed me for delayed cord clamping. She said, "If people are willing to pay thousands of dollars to bank this stuff because its so good for baby, why not let it flow back into your baby at birth and let them have the benefits?"

People are paying thousands of dollars for banking because of the potential use of cord blood stem cells to treat diseases in the infants future. Once that blood has flower back into the baby with delayed cord clamping, that potential to treat genetic diseases is gone. People aren't really paying just to store blood, but for the rare chance that it may save their child's life later.

Of course, like I posted before, if there is a genetic defect, privately stored cord blood won't likely help, because it will contain the same genetic defect. Hence why the ACOG and AAP recommend donating to public banks versus private banking.
  • We banked with our first and will bank this one as well- My husband was diagnosed with MS when I was 6 months pregnant with our first- with MS there is a chance our children can have it as well and they are currently working with blood and tissue to find a cure- for us we truly felt if there was a chance of creating a cure for my husband and/or children we couldn't not bank the blood and tissue, we would never want our children to have to go through what my husband is going through.  However, if there was no medical issue in the picture I don't think I would be as likely to bank.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker