March 2015 Moms

Irritating or rediculos

so have any of you ladies found yourself irritated because other people claim your baby looks just like them?
Lately my MIL has been posting pictures of my LO stating that my baby looks just like her when she was a baby. I've seen the pictures and I would have to disagree but that's only my opinion.
Anyway, the point is it really gets on my nerves. I mean from my point of view her son and I were the ones who created our baby and she looks like us not anyone else!
Anyone else find this irritating? Or should I just get over it?

Re: Irritating or rediculos

• While I'm not particularly thrilled when people bring up the similarities between them and our LO, I am not really irritated by it, either. My little girl has a cousin 6 months older than her that is on my husband's side, and I think they look so much alike, yet my daughter looks a lot like me as a baby, too. Babies' features are so vague it is hard to really see a true family resemblance anyway. I think everyone tries to pick out those little features that are similar because they are just so enamored with the baby! I know some comparisons might be a bit annoying, especially if they're constant and public, but maybe try to consider it a show of her affection. At least she's not denying any resemblance!
  • Loading the player...
  • I just think it's annoying when people comment on the baby's appearance in general (besides saying they are cute) - particularly when pointing out weight and baby acne. However, it's just something to say and a very common thing to say. Kind of like talking about the weather. I don't think my baby looks like anyone but herself, but people insist otherwise.

Meh! At the end of the day, I've got better things to worry about.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• I find it generally irritating when people claim babies look like anyone, tbh. I can find one or two features that I recognize from various people, but babies don't look like anyone as a general rule. Which is good, because that would make for a freaky looking adult.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @SharLovesAlex I've caught my own mother saying the same thing. It drives me insane, so you're not the only one! :) I find that she's oddly possessive over her too... Making sure that people know that my LO is HER grand baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    For SuzyQ and all the M15 losses

• SharLovesAlexSharLovesAlex member
    edited April 2015
    @noodlienoodles Oh yea. My mom calls him her grandbaby...which is totally fine. But MIL says "my baby" and it drives me crazy. She slipped and called herself "mommy" once too. She's throwing us a meet and greet this Saturday...but the entire guest list are her friends. Not ours! We had no part of the planning or guest list. So basically it's a party for her to show off our kid to her friends. It's really weird to me, but I don't know, it's my first baby so maybe her behavior is normal..? I just know my mom doesn't act like her!
  • This might just be an adoptive mom thing, but since my first son (now 17 months) was adopted as a newborn, we never sat around and did the "he looks so much like (so and so).." thing really. This time around since my 7 week old is my biological son, it's impossible not to do that to a certain extent, but honestly, I'm not constantly trying to see "who he looks like". It just doesn't matter to me.. I just see his own little person the way I did my first. But my MIL is ALWAYS saying "oh, he looks like (this cousin or that cousin..)" or "just like my babies did"! Over and over and over again.. Like, every time she sees him and it drives me crazy. Lol
  • riquelhensomriquelhensom member
    edited May 2015
    I don't like it when people come up and tak your baby right out of your hands when they are crying and say here let me try
  • My baby.... And I'm not exaggerating , looks like someone put her dad's face on a baby body. It's almost weird, since the second she was born. She even has his fingers and toes. If I posted pix you would trip out. It drives me nuts because we broke up while I was pregnant and he is not involved. Everywhere I go, the bank, the gas station, grocery store the first thing people say is "omg she looks like her daddy!" My family called my ex Bob (like la Bamba) so they call her little bob. Her dad's name is Ernie , and his family calls her little Ernie. I totally get where you're coming from !
  • @SharLovesAlex it doesn't bother me when people call my daughter "their baby" but I totally get how it could be irritating. My aunt actually said she is going to be my baby's "second mommy ". I was so mad I thought I was going to have a stroke. She has one mommy and that's all she needs! People say the dumbest stuff I swear!