Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

How much blood loss is normal

I have a missed miscarriage. Baby stopped growing around 6 weeks discovered at 8 weeks. Finally started spotting around 9 weeks. Well I've been bleeding the last 11 days and the last 3 have been heavy with lots of blood gushes and clots. Most of the clots are around quarter sized with some larger ones around half my palm. This had been for the last 3 days. Is this normal? I am feeling really weak. I called the dr and the nurse line said this is normal and to call back in a few days. But the dr had told me during my appt to expect heavy bleeding for 2-3 hours not days. I also continue to have pregnancy symptoms, large sore boobs, nausea etc. So I am worried I still haven't passed the sac. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: How much blood loss is normal

• I gushed blood, a lot of blood and pretty large clots. I would usually gush blood and pass a couple large clots over a 24hr period, then stop for a day or two and then it would happen again. So far it's done this routine 4 times. Really hoping the gushing blood stops soon because the last time I was at work and had to go sit in the bathroom because blood was pouring through me and a pad was not sufficient enough to hold it all. On the "inbetween" days I just have normal period bleeding. So far it's been 12 days in total. Hope it gets better for you!
    BFP 03/02/15 // EDD 11/11/15 // MC 04/15/15
    If your a bird, I'm a bird.
  • At 6 weeks, the sac is quite small. Smaller than the clots you've described, so you may have passed it and not even noticed it among all the clots. I saw my sac in the toilet, but I wasn't even really sure that was it until my doc confirmed by ultrasound that it had passed. My baby stopped growing at 7w3d and the sac was smaller and a different color than the initial clots. I have also been bleeding for 12 days now, but I think (I hope!) it's almost over. Do you have a follow-up appointment to check if everything did indeed pass?
    Anniversary
    TTC since January 2015
    3/15/2015 BFP!
    4/15/2015 MMC  :'(
    2/25/2016 BFP! Hoping for the best!
  • Loading the player...
  • My doc told me if it's more than a pad an hour call. Also I went I the day after my mc and he told me that if I wasn't bleeding substantially less the next day he would schedule me for a dnc that day. Lucky for me the bleeding slowed.
  • The only thing my doctor told me was if it didn't stop after 2 weeks to call.  She said what I explained to her sounds normal and not to worry, she'll only be worried if it continues into three weeks which is when she scheduled my appointment.  However, the doctor at ER tried to argue with her to have me sent to a d&c but she doesn't think its necessary.  I'm trusting her for now, time will tell.  

I'd say go with whatever your doctor told you because they know your health history and they know your particular situation, as it is different and varies between each person.  Considering my doctor looked at my file, read my journal/log, went through my urine/blood tests and knows my history - she made her assessment after reading through all those documents. I'd say its best to just trust what your doctor tells you unless you really feel in your gut that something else is wrong.
    BFP 03/02/15 // EDD 11/11/15 // MC 04/15/15
    If your a bird, I'm a bird.